IGNORED

Freekicks

gordie

We seem to be following the same pattern as last season: I thought Pack was excellent during the second half of last season once he'd got his eye-in.  A major reason for our success last season was Pack's (and Freeman's) abilities to put the ball on the head of a pin - or Flint/Abraham's heads.  Both goals came from excellent deliveries, something we've been lacking for most of this season.  Here's hoping....

Need the mix if you ask me or it gets predictable.  

For whipped in balls, they've got to be in the money, and the timing of the run perfect.  Not always easy....how many times do you see (frustratingly) the ball not getting past the first defender?  When done well, is bloody hard to defend, even opponent getting the flick on is okay.

For floated balls, it gives the attackers a chance to judge the flight and get 'a run on' their defender, but good defenders will find it easier to defend.

I think our routines are well choreographed, but you don't always get the delivery, or defenders block runs so much better.

we aren't too bad though.

The manager said after the game he has become obsessed with set pieces

Hopefully he has recognised that this was letting us down.  He is right that in the Championship, especially when you are struggling, set pieces can make the difference

I have been saying all season that the coaching needed to up its game.

it's not only the players who have been struggling in this league so far.

I have also consistently believed that the squad (although small and in need of experienced recruits) is good enough for mid table - for me it's been the management and coaching that has been at fault.  Perhaps, and here's hoping, we really have turned the corner

Archived