IGNORED

Love this!

Dolman Block B

19 minutes ago, Ray White said:

It was ridiculous how much space he got given for his goal. Completely free header at the back post. Their manager must've been pissed off with that.

You can really see on the tv highlights but there is no way he just walked into that much space direct from a set piece. There must have been some very clever movement involved and it has to be something that we've worked on in training. 

46 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

You can really see on the tv highlights but there is no way he just walked into that much space direct from a set piece. There must have been some very clever movement involved and it has to be something that we've worked on in training. 

I do hope so because something we definitely haven't done enough of this season is score goals from set pieces. We got loads last season but playing against better opposition has perhaps forced SC to switch up the routines a little. Long may it continue!

59 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I thought exactly the same thing when I saw the highlights - hopefully, a more lengthy version might show what happened, but why would a defender or perhaps two even simply run away from Flint (obvious responses notwithstanding) when the cross was surely coming to the far post?

52 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I thought exactly the same thing when I saw the highlights - hopefully, a more lengthy version might show what happened, but why would a defender or perhaps two even simply run away from Flint (obvious responses notwithstanding) when the cross was surely coming to the far post?

I've no idea, but remember whilst it looks like he has all the time in the world it only actually takes a split second to pull away from a defender and find yourself several yards of space. A clever diversion run or late move into the box can catch defenders off guard for that vital split second and gain you a very good position. 

9 times out of 10 a defender just heads that free kick clear, but get it right and that is the end result. 

I think people often forget just what a difference these fine lines make to situations, matches and seasons. That's why pro's train on these things all week and it often seems like they just say fit and don't try things. It's only when they work that you can see them. 

I will always remember Agards goal V Oldham last season as one of the best examples of this. 

Archived