IGNORED

Will Swansea be relegated?

reddogkev

And if they did, what are the chances of us overtaking them next season?  Alright, I know they'd have the obscene para payments, but I'm sure SL could offset against this if he really wanted to!

Think if they cock up with their next choice of gaffer, they will join Villa, and perhaps even Chelsea...

I do believe it's getting to the stage or has gone past the idea that SL or any individual could keep pace with the premier parachute payments so we are increasingly fighting against the financial,tide I'm afraid

They also have a very good academy so although I think they could be a surprise for the drop I don't see us overtaking them anytime soon, sadly

• Admin
1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I do believe it's getting to the stage or has gone past the idea that SL or any individual could keep pace with the premier parachute payments so we are increasingly fighting against the financial,tide I'm afraid

They also have a very good academy so although I think they could be a surprise for the drop I don't see us overtaking them anytime soon, sadly

Yeah agree - the parachute payments would massively be more than what SL could invest

Not sure apart from league placing how we could overtake them, they are ahead of us in light years off of the pitch

I'm not sure they are going down anyway - Villa clearly gone but not so sure about Swansea

8 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

And if they did, what are the chances of us overtaking them next season?  Alright, I know they'd have the obscene para payments, but I'm sure SL could offset against this if he really wanted to!

Think if they cock up with their next choice of gaffer, they will join Villa, and perhaps even Chelsea...

Why would SL be able to "offset against this" in Swansea's case in a way he hasn't been able to this season with Hull, Burnley, QPR et al?

4 minutes ago, phantom said:

Yeah agree - the parachute payments would massively be more than what SL could invest

Not sure apart from league placing how we could overtake them, they are ahead of us in light years off of the pitch

I'm not sure they are going down anyway - Villa clearly gone but not so sure about Swansea

I'm not sure, I reckon they could quite easily go down this season.  Gomis has stopped scoring, and if you examine their squad, I don't see a massive amount of Prem quality.  Shows what a top job Monk did last season.

You've touched on something interesting, how have they moved light years away from us in a relatively short period of time?  I think we could bridge that gap quite quickly with the right investment in the key areas.

Granted any team who stays in the Prem for a couple of years (is it about 4 years now for Swansea?) has a huge financial edge, but I look at Wigan as a contemporary example of how things can quickly fall apart.

7 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Why would SL be able to "offset against this" in Swansea's case in a way he hasn't been able to this season with Hull, Burnley, QPR et al?

Now, I'm not a 'money' man, almost the opposite in fact (I prefer things in life that come for free), but SL is a financial genius of epic proportions, so if he felt that next season he wanted to accelerate the club's development then I'm sure he could find a way to do this.  I appreciate that at the moment he and the board want City to be sustained without vast cash injections, but you never know, next summer he could have a change of heart!

This season I'd guess he couldn't do it because of the stadium redevelopment, but with this finished, what is the next step in his business model?

11 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I'm not sure, I reckon they could quite easily go down this season.  Gomis has stopped scoring, and if you examine their squad, I don't see a massive amount of Prem quality.  Shows what a top job Monk did last season.

You've touched on something interesting, how have they moved light years away from us in a relatively short period of time?  I think we could bridge that gap quite quickly with the right investment in the key areas.

Granted any team who stays in the Prem for a couple of years (is it about 4 years now for Swansea?) has a huge financial edge, but I look at Wigan as a contemporary example of how things can quickly fall apart.

Worked out well for QPR ..it's not just money though is it. the balance has to be right ,if it was just cash Man City would win the prem every year.

2 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Now, I'm not a 'money' man, almost the opposite in fact (I prefer things in life that come for free), but SL is a financial genius of epic proportions, so if he felt that next season he wanted to accelerate the club's development then I'm sure he could find a way to do this.  I appreciate that at the moment he and the board want City to be sustained without vast cash injections, but you never know, next summer he could have a change of heart!

This season I'd guess he couldn't do it because of the stadium redevelopment, but with this finished, what is the next step in his business model?

Financial genius he may well be, but there are certain rules we have to work within

I'm not sure if anyone ever answered the question I asked a year or so ago. Can SL call the new stadium The SL Bowl and then plough a massive amount of money into it as the main sponsor, £100m a season, if he wanted? Or, as I suspect, is there a limit a struggling Div 2 club can make for such an arrangement, £500k a season, for example?

As for the change of heart, I fear this summer was the time to do it, not next.....

1 hour ago, Woodsy said:

Financial genius he may well be, but there are certain rules we have to work within

I'm not sure if anyone ever answered the question I asked a year or so ago. Can SL call the new stadium The SL Bowl and then plough a massive amount of money into it as the main sponsor, £100m a season, if he wanted? Or, as I suspect, is there a limit a struggling Div 2 club can make for such an arrangement, £500k a season, for example?

As for the change of heart, I fear this summer was the time to do it, not next.....

I feel that next year would be a perfect time to start investing heavily (and shrewdly) in BCFC.  We'll still be in the Championship, so should be an improved proposition for new players, coupled with the completed stadium.

And as for FFP, from what I've read so far, if we went outside of FFP rules, wouldn't we just face fines and possible transfer embargoes?  Not really a big problem for SL, provided we sign at least six or seven quality Championship players next summer.

Like you've mentioned with SL possibly sponsoring the stadium, there must be many avenues available to pump extra revenue into the club.

4 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

And the parachute payments increase massively AGAIN at the end of next season - it's going to become a impossible ladder to climb soon !!

Indeed. Thanks to Mr Scudamore the sport will be ruined for many soon, if not already.

Will become as exciting as watching the stock market. 

To answer the OP, I ****** hope so.

I work with at least two Jacks, and they were unhappy two years ago that they were not in europe.

Talk about being greedy.

They should be careful what they wish for.

Great footy to get where they are, but I would like to see them in the Welsh Premier.

....... not that I am bitter - or anything.

Uncle TFR

P.S. Bonus point if anyone can explain why they are called 'Jack'.

2 minutes ago, Taxi for Rennie said:

Little known fact: Swansea (Abertawe) is INFESTED with hedgehogs.

Apparently, more hedgehogs in Swansea than virgins (female virgins).

Quite amazing!

Uncle TFR

You mean there are SEVEN hedgehogs in Swansea :o

17 minutes ago, Taxi for Rennie said:

I work with at least two Jacks, and they were unhappy two years ago that they were not in europe.

Talk about being greedy.

Great footy to get where they are, but I would like to see them in the Welsh Premier.

Uncle TFR

I hope so too.

1 hour ago, Taxi for Rennie said:

Talk about being greedy.

Uncle TFR

I thought they were named the Jack's after a dog that drowned called Jack.

Or maybe the are just like jacking off a lot. We all know south Wales is full of *******

25 minutes ago, TRL said:

I thought they were named the Jack's after a dog that drowned called Jack.

Or maybe the are just like jacking off a lot. We all know south Wales is full of *******

As I recall it was a dog called Jack, a black labrador, who saved numerous people from drowning in the swansea docks.

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

As I recall it was a dog called Jack, a black labrador, who saved numerous people from drowning in the swansea docks.

That's it. He died of poisoning not drowning. I recall a jack telling me this in a bar in Greece. Thanks for the reminder

Archived