IGNORED

Is Cotts too honest ?

Major Isewater

Even if it was all his fault, do you expect him to admit it?

Can he lay all the blame with the players?  Yes...and lose the dressing room!

Can he lay all the blame on SL / JL etc?  Yes....and lose his job!

What would you do in his situation?  Answer that honestly!

What do you do when criticised?  Accept it all, then get no pay rise, bonus etc?  Or do you defend yourself, come out fighting?

Deep down we'd love everyone to be 100% honest, all of the time, accept criticism, accept the plaudits etc.  Life and football ain't like that.

How many players respond to a rollicking (spelt with a b)?  Less than those that respond to an arm round them.

How many on here have managed a team, or a football team for that matter?  Some of you undoubtedly will have and be very good at it.  Some wouldn't have a clue.  That is not to say you can't have an opinion.  But we can't all agree with each other either.  And neither can be truly say we are right and someone is wrong either.

It seems Cotts has tried the nice guy approach, backing his squad in public etc however after seeing his post match interview last night, he has pretty much publicly hammered them. Where does he go after this? Be interesting to see Saturday what the squads reaction is...will they come out fighting for the cause or sulk knowing that one more defeat could see the tide of feeling turn, which could then lead to a change in manager. It will tell us a lot about Cotts standing in the dressing room.

As Dave has alluded to above, some players respond to criticism in a positive manner, roll their sleeves up and dig in, some will go further into their shells. The games I have watched this season, I have hardly had cause to criticise because I genuinely believe the players have given their all in terms of work rate etc but unfortunately a few of them have found the Championship beyond their capabilities. 

12 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Is Cotts too honest ?

He's been forced to say too much.  I've no problem with an honest manager or one who attempts to deflect the blame from his players/decisions.  But he has been the only club spokesperson since the end of last season.  It shouldn't be his responsibility to offer implausible explanations for why our summer recruitment comprehensively failed.

Jon Lansdown took a lot of unfair criticism during our last relegation season.  Since then he has been conspicuous by his absence.

I wouldn't know who Keith Dawe was if I heard or saw him.  A chairmen in name but certainly not a figurehead.

The problem is that every person who takes their turn to represent the club gets an absolute hammering.  Colin Sexstone is a good example.  A man who I never had a problem with was seen as the antichrist by some people on this forum.

Steve Cotterill is now seemingly carrying the entire weight of the club on his shoulders when he should really only get airtime for match or player related interviews.  I feel for the guy but he's clearly under a lot of pressure.

13 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

He has been saying all along that we are n't good enough , don't have enough experience etc perhaps  the players believe him .

As has been said before, what he says in the media and in the dressing room are two entirely different things. That's the same for all managers.

Generally I don't think he is honest. Going back a few games, he can't have thought we bossed the first half hour against Fulham, because we clearly didn't, and he's not a fool. There are plenty of other examples.

Last night I think he was honest, maybe there was some frustration creeping in. The players will be listening far more intently to what he's said to them behind closed doors where he can really speak his mind, though.

No I don't think he is too honest. His post match interviews make it look like he watched a different game to the rest of us (didn't hear last nights just in case he stated the bleeding obvious for once).

I don't think he helps himself with the team he picks. I think he is point scoring with SL "look Steve, this is my best team and this is all I can manage". Whilst that might be true (I disagree) he really needs to try something different (and I don't mean yesterdays "I'm throwing in the towel before the game starts" line up.

9 minutes ago, Nomad said:

No I don't think he is too honest. His post match interviews make it look like he watched a different game to the rest of us (didn't hear last nights just in case he stated the bleeding obvious for once).

I don't think he helps himself with the team he picks. I think he is point scoring with SL "look Steve, this is my best team and this is all I can manage". Whilst that might be true (I disagree) he really needs to try something different (and I don't mean yesterdays "I'm throwing in the towel before the game starts" line up.

If it's a game of brinkmanship then he's treading a very dangerous line.  I respect the guy hugely and I really wouldn't want him to leave but there are managers out there who could do better than a 4-0 defeat to Derby with the same squad.

1 hour ago, southvillekiddy said:

He showed his feelings, he's close to outright despair - he was close to tears, you could hear that in his voice. Difficult to see where he goes from here - he's admitting he doesn't know what to do because our set-up isn't good enough against that standard of opposition.

I thought he was close to tears or it actually looked like he'd been crying but didn't post that as expected a flood of posts saying  it was nonsense / ' stirring'

Glad I wasn't the only one who saw / thought that

37 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I don't think he's too honest, I do think he doesn't hide his feelings though. Yes he did make a point by fielding this team I think, but when the point was clearly rammed home he then didn't finish with the strongest team that he could have. Yes I understand resting Kodjia, but when they scored just before half time I expected him to be introduced early in the second half if we intended taking a share of the points. 

Obviously if Kodjia was indeed one of those with 'heavy colds' then I can understand why he wasnt used. There is strong  arguement that he was being rested so he will be at peak for QPR etc. That said, wonder what the feelings will be if we don't get a result over the Christmas matches, no guarantee is there just because he was rested? We are so relant on Kodjia for our goals it's worrying.

6 minutes ago, RedM said:

I don't think he's too honest, I do think he doesn't hide his feelings though. Yes he did make a point by fielding this team I think, but when the point was clearly rammed home he then didn't finish with the strongest team that he could have. Yes I understand resting Kodjia, but when they scored just before half time I expected him to be introduced early in the second half if we intended taking a share of the points. 

Obviously if Kodjia was indeed one of those with 'heavy colds' then I can understand why he wasnt used. There is strong  arguement that he was being rested so he will be at peak for QPR etc. That said, wonder what the feelings will be if we don't get a result over the Christmas matches, no guarantee is there just because he was rested? We are so relant on Kodjia for our goals it's worrying.

I agree. Fielding a weakened team to 'save' players for more winnable games has worked for some and backfired for others.

Feel sorry for the fans who travelled up when it appears that there was no intent to go and win the game or even fight for a point after going behind.

4 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I agree. Fielding a weakened team to 'save' players for more winnable games has worked for some and backfired for others.

Feel sorry for the fans who travelled up when it appears that there was no intent to go and win the game or even fight for a point after going behind.

Bit harsh to blame Frankie, he has saved 2 pens this season. I'd blame Lee Johnson. 

Or Cole Skuse. 

Archived