IGNORED

Frankie

RedRock

Now, we all love him but.... having watched the highlights, should not a Championship-standard keeper have made a better fist of stopping all four goals?

He seems to be shrinking in size every week!!

Yes, some limp-wristed defending going on in front of him, but through him, on his near post, maybe trying to get finger-tips to the ball?

He is the very definition of a frustrating player. 

For every game like he had at Huddersfield he has two like last night. From day one at the club he's never inspired confidence.

He looks utterly tiny compared to most keepers you see. I don't know if it's just his build as allegedly he's not far off 6 foot!

12 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Now, we all love him but.... having watched the highlights, should not a Championship-standard keeper have made a better fist of stopping all four goals?

He seems to be shrinking in size every week!!

Yes, some limp-wristed defending going on in front of him, but through him, on his near post, maybe trying to get finger-tips to the ball?

Not sure what he could of done with goals 1 and 4.

The issue for me is that he has no real competition. Yes we loaned in Hamer but I guess he was thought to be either too expensive/no better/not needed so he went back. Yes I know we can loan in an emergency keeper pretty easily, and maybe we can save a wage, but I doubt if many clubs operate without at least competition for every place. It can't do a player much good to not to have to challenge for a game. I think Frankie has been praising young Max o'Leary recently, of course he is, he's no real threat. 

1 minute ago, RedM said:

The issue for me is that he has no real competition. Yes we loaned in Hamer but I guess he was thought to be either too expensive/no better/not needed so he went back. Yes I know we can loan in an emergency keeper pretty easily, and maybe we can save a wage, but I doubt if many clubs operate without at least competition for every place. It can't do a player much good to not to have to challenge for a game. I think Frankie has been praising young Max o'Leary recently, of course he is, he's no real threat. 

A good point well made. Too many in the team don't have competition which again brings us back to the woeful summer recruitment. Off the top of my head, some of our weakest performers:

Pack - Reid (unproven at this level and not a natural deep midfielder)

Flint -Only Baker and Moore... (all of whom are already playing!) 

Freeman - Callum Robinson (who? Is he still here?) Or Cox (last seen in the bermuda triangle)

Bryan - No natural cover (Williams round peg in square hole)

And you are absolutely right that Frank shouldn't be guaranteed his jersey but he is. Which goes against what cotts said preseason and when we signed hamer.

Frankie was in the Football League team of the week a few days ago and was good enough to be in the full England squad when he was younger, yet people think he's not good enough for BCFC? As others have said, Heaton and Gherken struggled with a useless defence in front of them but doing fine at this level now, he's the least of our problems.

8 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Like many of our team , they are great lads , willing to give their all for the club and their team mates but is their ' all ' enough ?

The league table says not .

the league table says that what we have is currently enough, but only barely. Or has an extra relegation spot been added and only you told?

another basso maybe? are there any foreign ones available

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Love him as a character

IMO Simply not good enough - lets in too many softies for me and nowhere near imposing enough

Does show brilliant reactions at time and pulls off the odd Worldy but rock solid consistency and a presence is what I want in my keeper

Can't believe that it's so difficult to sort the keeper - Most premier clubs have 3 or even 4 keepers vying for one spot - take your pick - up and coming or experienced old head

By coincidence heard Shay Given on radio - coming back from injury

Dont think we'd get him on loan ( Tho he will want some game time) but they are out there - SC clearly thinks FF is good enough.

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

Ok , and this season's going sooo well we don't need to improve the squad .

Steve Lansdown will be delighted .

ah, the old "putting words in people mouth" trick. 

Don't be dishonest, at no point did I say that the season is going well, nor did I say the squad doesn't need improving. In fact I explicitly put "barely" to show that we are struggling.

17 minutes ago, City169 said:

ah, the old "putting words in people mouth" trick. 

Don't be dishonest, at no point did I say that the season is going well, nor did I say the squad doesn't need improving. In fact I explicitly put "barely" to show that we are struggling.

Where i come from ' Bristol ' , ' OK ' is a sign of agreement .

I agree with you that we are good enough to be presently a whisker outside the relegation zone but obviously we must improve so the 'all ' that our smashing young team are giving is , as i stated , perhaps not enough .

You were being a little pedantic in your original reply but that's OK .

What i don't appreciate is being called ' dishonest ' .

2 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

Frankie was in the Football League team of the week a few days ago and was good enough to be in the full England squad when he was younger, yet people think he's not good enough for BCFC? As others have said, Heaton and Gherken struggled with a useless defence in front of them but doing fine at this level now, he's the least of our problems.

Tom Heaton was immense. He saved us an awful lot when he played. Staggered people hated him mate. Typical City fans. Skuse, Bolasie, Pitman, Gerken, Heaton etc etc all 'not good enough' in eyes of some.

He isn't good enough, full stop. His save attempts against Fulham were abysmal earlier in the season. After the Cardiff game I said that if you had switched the keepers before the start we'd have lost handsomely.

If SC really thinks Frankie is the best we can get then we may as well write the season off. Or get rid of SC.

Archived