IGNORED

My Views On Last Night

CheddarReds

I think Cotterill came to sit behind the ball and counter attack with Bryan, Freeman, Bennett and Agard. Fair enough, not a bad idea, but executed wrong in my eyes.

Derby moved the ball very well which showed the quality they had. This was always going to be difficult, but we made it more difficult for ourselves not putting enough pressure on the ball. I lost count of the number of crosses they put in because we weren't tight enough to stop or block the cross. It was painful watching Korey Smith run the width of the 18 yard box to put someone under presssure as everyone else backed off.

I accept that we won't have as much quality on the ball as teams like Derby but it's basics like putting the opposition under correct pressure that we have to do right.

In the second half there was a few times we looked like we could break but Freeman, Smith and Pack were all guilty of having too many touches and slowing the game down. This emphisised the poor quality on the ball and poor decision making.

I thought Tom Ince was like our Luke Freeman of last season, running at defences and creating problems. We haven't really seen Luke do this all season.

Finally I think you could sum up the game on that fourth goal. Pack and Baker didn't communicate, got a short pass wrong and interecepted. As Pack got back he got pushed off the ball, it was then switched, a cross came in because Moore didn't close the player down quick enough and they won the header to score.

A very long night indeed.

Anyway, what do you think? Is what I've said fair? Or am I way off?

COYR

For about 30 minutes, the plan was OK. Guess the aim was to stop them and hope for a goal from either a breakaway or set-piece. Well we did almost score a set-piece at the back stick.

But after Bent missed that easy header they got on top and scored at a key time.

2nd half we had a ten minute spell before we caved in and after that we were all over the shop. Pointless subs too.

I think Cotterill got his tactics wrong - Agard up top on his own is a seriously poor decision. He doesn't hold anything up - you need someone to hold it up and spread on to the runners like Freeman.

1 hour ago, CheddarReds said:

I think Cotterill came to sit behind the ball and counter attack with Bryan, Freeman, Bennett and Agard. Fair enough, not a bad idea, but executed wrong in my eyes.

Derby moved the ball very well which showed the quality they had. This was always going to be difficult, but we made it more difficult for ourselves not putting enough pressure on the ball. I lost count of the number of crosses they put in because we weren't tight enough to stop or block the cross. It was painful watching Korey Smith run the width of the 18 yard box to put someone under presssure as everyone else backed off.

I accept that we won't have as much quality on the ball as teams like Derby but it's basics like putting the opposition under correct pressure that we have to do right.

In the second half there was a few times we looked like we could break but Freeman, Smith and Pack were all guilty of having too many touches and slowing the game down. This emphisised the poor quality on the ball and poor decision making.

I thought Tom Ince was like our Luke Freeman of last season, running at defences and creating problems. We haven't really seen Luke do this all season.

Finally I think you could sum up the game on that fourth goal. Pack and Baker didn't communicate, got a short pass wrong and interecepted. As Pack got back he got pushed off the ball, it was then switched, a cross came in because Moore didn't close the player down quick enough and they won the header to score.

A very long night indeed.

Anyway, what do you think? Is what I've said fair? Or am I way off?

COYR

agree with most of that but would add

Del clearly still struggling with injury, and should never have started the game 

We decided to play 4-4-2 for the first time and then decided to play 4 central defenders and leave 3 wingers out of the squad entirely

Wagstaff, Burns, and Robinson in favour of a an unfit, and hopelessly out of confidence Reading Loanee whom he was never ever going to use in any circumstance !!!

What am i missing steve ???

3 minutes ago, djb6162 said:

agree with most of that but would add

Del clearly still struggling with injury, and should never have started the game 

We decided to play 4-4-2 for the first time and then decided to play 4 central defenders and leave 3 wingers out of the squad entirely

Wagstaff, Burns, and Robinson in favour of a an unfit, and hopelessly out of confidence Reading Loanee whom he was never ever going to use in any circumstance !!!

What am i missing steve ???

Maybe you'll have a bit more insight than the rest of us, but what is the issue with Cox? Was excited by his signing, he can't be injured as I presume we would have sent him back?

1 hour ago, Alex_BCFC said:

I think Cotterill got his tactics wrong - Agard up top on his own is a seriously poor decision. He doesn't hold anything up - you need someone to hold it up and spread on to the runners like Freeman.

I think last night was about experimenting and giving players game time as much as anything, hence the weird subs.

I do agree with you about Agard, though. He's not a hold-up player, he's a presser and to be effective he'd need the rest of the team pressing aggressively with him. I think judging by Cotterill's comments that that may have been the intention, but it really doesn't seem to have worked.

If we were going to sit back, absorb pressure and attack on the break, then Wilbraham or Kodjia should have started (the former to hold the ball up and await support or the latter to keep the Derby defence deep by running at them).

From what I've read and heard (and I wasn't there so I've no idea if I'm right in reality) we seem to have adopted an amalgam of two contradictory strategies last night. Probably not Cotterill's greatest ever idea.

2 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Maybe you'll have a bit more insight than the rest of us, but what is the issue with Cox? Was excited by his signing, he can't be injured as I presume we would have sent him back?

look when he arrived, he was by his own admission very unfit and hopelessly out of touch (which by the way poses some other questions..but lets leave that shall we)

the guy is such a gentleman and very honest in his appraisal of where he has been over the last two years.

Right now, he is definitely fitter.... match fit ? well how on earth can you be with just minutes of football under your belt, at least Wes, Callum and scott have got some u21 minutes and some international duty minutes behind them.

But he is definitely  not injured but clearly the gaffa feels that his experience is likely to mean that he is more likely to get him a goal than the other three mentioned.

that is something that SC and i will never agree on, you pick on form and fitness not history and reputation.

10 minutes ago, djb6162 said:

look when he arrived, he was by his own admission very unfit and hopelessly out of touch (which by the way poses some other questions..but lets leave that shall we)

the guy is such a gentleman and very honest in his appraisal of where he has been over the last two years.

Right now, he is definitely fitter.... match fit ? well how on earth can you be with just minutes of football under your belt, at least Wes, Callum and scott have got some u21 minutes and some international duty minutes behind them.

But he is definitely  not injured but clearly the gaffa feels that his experience is likely to mean that he is more likely to get him a goal than the other three mentioned.

that is something that SC and i will never agree on, you pick on form and fitness not history and reputation.

Ha - think I'll leave the first two lines of your reply alone, sounds like something we don't need to get into on here!

Couldn't agree more with the last sentence. Any clues you can give us on how the squad are after such a fantastic season?

13 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Ha - think I'll leave the first two lines of your reply alone, sounds like something we don't need to get into on here!

Couldn't agree more with the last sentence. Any clues you can give us on how the squad are after such a fantastic season?

They get on fabulously as a team on and off the pitch, and they may not be the most talented team in the division, but they are extremely together, loyal and protective.

Is that enough to keep them up ?, i have seen enough in most of the games to convince me that they will survive but there will be more ups and downs for sure.

Watch out for a huge reaction on Saturday in the first 30 mins.... they need to sustain that for 80 or 90 mins though in this division.

They need to believe they can win games when they go behind, that has been  the big difference this year.

3 minutes ago, djb6162 said:

They get on fabulously as a team on and off the pitch, and they may not be the most talented team in the division, but they are extremely together, loyal and protective.

Is that enough to keep them up ?, i have seen enough in most of the games to convince me that they will survive but there will be more ups and downs for sure.

Watch out for a huge reaction on Saturday in the first 30 mins.... they need to sustain that for 80 or 90 mins though in this division.

They need to believe they can win games when they go behind, that has been  the big difference this year.

Interesting. I'm concerned about Saturday, it's usually after the 3rd game the new manager 'bounce' kicks in and Austin got a brace too. Tough ask.

24 minutes ago, djb6162 said:

That's good to know. I hoped that would still be the case

I still think we'll be ok. Bolton looked doomed and I think we're better than Rotherham, then it's being better than one of 4 or 5 other teams. Massive game Saturday, but Charlton is the one we need to get the 3 points from

Winning from behind at this level is never going to be easy, as soon as Derby went 1 up last night I think we all knew that it was game over

Archived