IGNORED

Youth set up, time to scrap it all..?

PFree

Just a thought but if in reality we will always seek to buy or loan first team players and seldom bring youngsters through, is there any point in paying so many coaches and investing so much money in youth development?

I could be totally wrong but it seems the youth teams are struggling badly and there's little prospect of future Championship quality players on the horizon? 

Am I wrong, is the significant investment worthwhile..?

1 hour ago, PFree said:

Just a thought but if in reality we will always seek to buy or loan first team players and seldom bring youngsters through, is there any point in paying so many coaches and investing so much money in youth development?

I could be totally wrong but it seems the youth teams are struggling badly and there's little prospect of future Championship quality players on the horizon? 

Years ago it probably was when you could sell on a gem for millions.

now with the prem biased setup where they can just pluck your best youngsters for a total pittance I'm starting to wonder if it's worth the outlay....

Very fair point. You'd have to know the figures to establish any facts on whether it is worth doing. Even teams like Chelsea spend millions and their squad is absent of academy players. I do feel though that a lot of emphasis is placed on youth teams where on the whole they appear to be a complete waste. Surely it's cheaper to stick a scout on a plane and send them to South America for a fortnight, we can go robbing poor clubs for talent. Look at kodjia, good example of how the English leagues are overpriced, just imagine the bargains further afield. As for our youth team. Whatever happened to Joe Morrell?  Correct me if I've spelt that wrong, Sean o driscoll played him on our jpt knockout a few years ago, why hasn't he been given another chance, what are we waiting for? Our squad is thinner than Cheryl Cole has been lately. 

@PFree I think you are right. Flogging a dead horse springs to mind.

One thing I would say (and I've seen a few posts recently to think this needs clarification)... I think we no longer have U18's - SC decided to put them all in the U21's. Anyone out there who can confirm my thoughts?

Scrapping the system would be bonkers, just as is the clubs decision to monopolise Bristol rather than a 50 mile radius.

Getting players into the Championship is much more difficult to do than League 1, the club has to bide time & money until the gem arrives paying for the system running. 

286,000 per year to run Cat 2 Academy system I believe. A snip for prem & championship clubs

I've posted before that I've entirely lost faith in it because any real energing stars we do discover get poached by Premiership clubs for a pittance.  If we could get proper fees for those players then I'd be all for it; but we don't.

It's great that Bryan, Burns & Reid have come through it, but that's not enough for the money spent.  Time to scrap it and hire a full-time non-league scout.

12 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I've posted before that I've entirely lost faith in it because any real energing stars we do discover get poached by Premiership clubs for a pittance.  If we could get proper fees for those players then I'd be all for it; but we don't.

It's great that Bryan, Burns & Reid have come through it, but that's not enough for the money spent.  Time to scrap it and hire a full-time non-league scout.

Sorry Eddie but not your money and not your choice.

Just now, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Sorry Eddie but not your money and not your choice.

Quite. Whilst someone is willing to fund it and pay for the gamble that someone comes through I don't see why you'd want him to stop throwing the dice. Can it be doing us any harm, really?

3 hours ago, PFree said:

If you woke up to hear we had scrapped the accadamy system, would you be happy or unhappy? 

1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Haha! Me too!

As a taxpayer I also own Lloyds bank but the gits still won't give me a loan.

Thanks for helping pay my wages then....much appreciated.  I am typing this during my own time, but now I know you're helping out, I might do a bit of OTIBing during the working day :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

If you woke up to hear we had scrapped the accadamy system, would you be happy or unhappy? 

I would be unhappy given how much I was in favour of its foundation in 1996.

However I would view it as the right move as the £1m a year that it costs to run has not returned that in players; no criticism of the staff but a result of the unfairly low fees paid when a top young prospect is tapped up.

As a parallel I would have liked us to sign Michael Milfsud because at the time we needed a decent striker; but I admired GJ's principled stand of refusing to be held to ransom and having his agent ejected from Ashton Gate.

10 hours ago, PFree said:

Joe Bryan

Disgusted.

Bristol City is a football club that represents a City and region. As a club in its social context its activities should extend beyond the first XI and provide local kids a opportunity to represent their City / region. This means providing the best facilities and coaching possible.

The academy is hardly a huge drain on resources. Its financing is exempt under FFP unlike the wages of the next El Abd, Hunt, James, Morris Stewart, Stuyvar ... And the rest of the quality players City have a habit of employing.

So yes the money is always worth it. BCFC should always be attempting to play the best football it can, attempting to get local players into the XI. Being Bristol City the Pride of the West has to be better than expecting Steve Lansdown to finance mercenary XI's for ever.

20 hours ago, crusader said:

Scrapping the system would be bonkers, just as is the clubs decision to monopolise Bristol rather than a 50 mile radius.

Getting players into the Championship is much more difficult to do than League 1, the club has to bide time & money until the gem arrives paying for the system running. 

286,000 per year to run Cat 2 Academy system I believe. A snip for prem & championship clubs

If it's just 268k then it would be foolish to scrap it being as selling Bryan alone would probably pay for 3-4 years of the academy quite easily therefore it would be silly to disband it.

Even if that number is wrong, if youth was such a poor idea then almost every club out there would not be looking to have youth development.

On 16/12/2015 at 22:46, Eddie Hitler said:

We already have a non-league scout Mr 'Itler, sir.

The Academy is, of course, worth keeping.  However, in order to attract and keep the best talent, you have to convince parents of a clear and achievable pathway to the first team.  BCFC Academy do not rank very high in the thoughts of lots parents.  This is what must change if we want to have a successful academy production line.

Archived