IGNORED

WHO SHOULD WE SIGN?

SL has said we should buy players from league 1, so who would YOU sign and why?

From a brief look at the player stats a guy called Bradley Dack from Gillingham seems to be the stand out player.

21yrs old(soon to be 22), 25 appearances, 10 goals, attacking midfielder.

Seems to fit the bill?

We all knew about him from playing them 5 times last season and he'd be great competition for Freeman. Sam Morsy from Chesterfield, Jamie Allen from Rochdale, Matty Done from Sheffield Utd, Tom Bradshaw from Walsall, Daniel Bentley from Southend, Conor Washington and Marcus Maddison from Peterborough all seem to catch the headlines. When we signed Marvin Elliott many had never heard of him even though we'd played against him twice in league 1 the season before. What a signing he turned out to be in that first season in the championship. Maybe there is another diamond in the rough waiting for someone to take a chance on him. 

I don't think Dack has ever been mentioned on here before.....

Certainly there are a few good names on jambodinho's list.

If SL's comments in midweek can be taken as an indication that we are going down the lower leagues route again, then the keeper Ingram at Wycombe, centre back Egan at Gillingham, and Morsy (as mentioned) are all worth a look. As for Done, as the biggest club at their level I just can't see Sheffield United selling us their players.

Not at all sure that Bradshaw can step up in the hardest position to find good players so I'd be happy if we took another punt in Ligue 2, there must be another quality (French speaking) striker there, or maybe in Belgium?

In whatever position it is I think bringing in another French speaker would be a very good move as keeping Kodjia happy and feeling included could well be a big part of whether we stay up.

5 minutes ago, Selred said:

Bentley from Southend.

Moore extended loan.

Bennett on permanent.

Experienced head in CM - Wigans McCann?

Kermagant from Bournemouth.

Saw in the tabloids a few weeks ago that Kermorgant has just bought a new top of the range Porsche 911, he certainly didn't buy that on £2k a week, did he?

Bentley wouldn't join us, but McCann however is a very good shout, though Wigan pay wages far in excess of League One.

In fact their new chairman made a bit of a prat of himself in the summer when he said their budget was seven times the size of many clubs at their level...

So SL want's us to go after the L1's best players.

Um......ok, that worked really well last season when we were actually in L1.

We are now in the Championship where these L1 players are struggling, so I can't see the logic of going
after anymore L1 players who will most likely struggle as well.

If we do, and we go down, blimey! we'll be L1 champions again before next Xmas, come back up again and be in the exact situation that we find ourselves in now!

We couldn't organize a piss up in a brewery!:badmood:

And to answer the question, Bentley from Southend please, who I feel could cut it in the Championship.

Isn't the big question, WHO should be spending the money?

You either get rid of Cotts before the window, and give the dosh to the new geyser, or back Cotts, even if he spends big and takes us down.

:badmood:

(Christmas week - getting depressed already).

Uncle TFR

P.S. And we don't want to go spending all the bloody money on one striker. Codgy-wodgy is clearly good for 20 goals this season, we want players who can chip in with a few extra goals, and supply the bullets to the Codge-meister.

19 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Bennett, Bentley, Kasim. Not Matt Smith though, need someone mobile enough to press. At least Wilbs isn't awfully slow. A cheaper Chris wood is the person we need. 

19 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Bennett, Bentley, Kasim. Not Matt Smith though, need someone mobile enough to press. At least Wilbs isn't awfully slow. A cheaper Chris wood is the person we need. 

why do we need a golfer?

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

We are now in the Championship where these L1 players are struggling, so I can't see the logic of going

If we do, and we go down, blimey! we'll be L1 champions again before next Xmas, come back up again and be in the exact situation that we find ourselves in now!

If or when we go down, we'll lose half our squad because they won't want to drop their wages. So rather than bounce back up in one season, we'll have to start rebuilding the squad from scratch.

Another long stay down with the dross!

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

I know it's been done to death but I'd still be going in for Matt Smith. Since Fulham's change of manager he has only managed the subs bench, for me would be ideal foil for Kodjia and we already know fits well into our system.

For me, worth paying top dollar for.

Or would he just add to the ranks of players we have that were too good for league one, but struggle to have much impact in the championship..? 

The obvious question is why didn't we adopt this strategy in the summer if that's what SL wanted. I'm sure we could have (pretty much) had our pick of the best of last year's L1 talent after the season we had. 

If we'd have done that instead of twatting about trying to sign players who were never realistic targets we might have had a more successful summer. 

47 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

If or when we go down, we'll lose half our squad because they won't want to drop their wages. So rather than bounce back up in one season, we'll have to start rebuilding the squad from scratch.

Another long stay down with the dross!

Presuming wage reduction on relegation is in their contracts ( and it damn well should be) they won't have that option.

If we allowed contracted players to move on it would be City's decision alone and presumably we'd only do so if adequately compensated.

Especially as a number of the players likely to be sought by other clubs in the eventuality of relegation extended their contracts only a few months ago.

Heard a whisper from our end the possibility of a deal concerning Kasim and El Abd.

But, beware. Kasim has been very poor for us since he came back from the African Cup of Nations last February.

A lot of it, I think, is an attitude problem. He saw 3 or 4 teammates leave for bigger clubs and nobody came in for him.

Maybe a move to you would freshen him up.

6 minutes ago, swindon fan said:

Heard a whisper from our end the possibility of a deal concerning Kasim and El Abd.

But, beware. Kasim has been very poor for us since he came back from the African Cup of Nations last February.

A lot of it, I think, is an attitude problem. He saw 3 or 4 teammates leave for bigger clubs and nobody came in for him.

What do you think of El Abd?

Guest AdenFlintIsHavingAParty

I think one very good shout is Armstrong, 13 goals in League One already, England u21s, must be decent. Also, if we do keep Moore (and even Robinson whos played for the u21s before) that could help convince him to join. Only problem is the amount of clubs that will come in for him...

3 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

The question surely should be who on earth WOULD want to sign for us, a club with little ambition, a manager on the edge, and a fan base ready to condemn you after one poor performance.

Bit of a sweeping statement regarding our fanbase?!

People on here make up a tiny percentage of our fanbase.

I don't see widespread condemnation of players who've had one bad game...

29 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

What do you think of El Abd?

He's been very good for us. Would imagine most fans would jump at the chance of swapping him for Kasim.

It's horses for courses, really, but I wouldn't think there are many players in L1 that would improve what you've already got.

Perhaps some of you have forgotten how dominant you were last season - would you have wanted Dack or Bradshaw ahead of who you had playing then?

"Who should we sign?" is only half of the question. The other important part is "when should we sign them?" If we sign players at the end of January, it could be the middle of February before they are match fit and / or integrated into the team. This could be far too late and we will be doomed. We need players to be signed at the beginning of the window, but I'm not confident that this will happen. 

Dear Cynic I see why you chose that name but I wasn't thinking of myself but rather of players like El Abd whom I thought personally was quality last season at Gillingham.  I am thinking of Gerken who was excellent at Colchester and now at Ipswich.  The list goes on : Skuse, Pitman, Bolassie .........

25 minutes ago, swindon fan said:

He's been very good for us. Would imagine most fans would jump at the chance of swapping him for Kasim.

It's horses for courses, really, but I wouldn't think there are many players in L1 that would improve what you've already got.

Perhaps some of you have forgotten how dominant you were last season - would you have wanted Dack or Bradshaw ahead of who you had playing then?

What a sensible post, perhaps the perspective from outside is one we should all listen to.

As for Bradshaw he is this year's Eoin Doyle for me, who everyone seemed to want last January, so guess what?

Cardiff (as usual) paid a fortune for him, then he was shite for them, they've off loaded him to Preston and he isn't in the side there, either.

Fills you full of optimism if we go down the League One route, eh?

8 hours ago, swindon fan said:

I wouldn't be against this TBH. On the way back from the match today, a few mates and me were trying to think of a player from our recent past who would make a difference to our midfield and to a man we all came up with Kallifa Cisse in the 'holding' role, releasing Korey a bit. I could see Kasim possibly filling that role. The step up should be enough motivation and both clubs get players they need.

Why not?

31 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Good idea bring in someone new, that you can dislike even more.

For me it is more of  a case of someone who might have more of a chance of keeping us up.When we are winning like last season the logic of keeping the same team together  and the same tactics every week is sound.But when things are not  working then this becomes illogical to the point of harming our survival chances. So although the original post was a bit of a knee jerk reaction I am warming to it.

1 minute ago, hortonred said:

For me it is more of  a case of someone who might have more of a chance of keeping us up.When we are winning like last season the logic of keeping the same team together  and the same tactics every week is sound.But when things are not  working then this becomes illogical to the point of harming our survival chances. So although the original post was a bit of a knee jerk reaction I am warming to it.

What would be more illogical is sacking a manager who it would appear still has the full support of his dressing room and bringing in somebody who might have lost it before a ball is even kicked.

8 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

The question surely should be who on earth WOULD want to sign for us, a club with little ambition, a manager on the edge, and a fan base ready to condemn you after one poor performance.

Money talks so most players would come if the deal was right, £10-15k a week, so would players really worry about a bit of stick.

11 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

What would be more illogical is sacking a manager who it would appear still has the full support of his dressing room and bringing in somebody who might have lost it before a ball is even kicked.

I hope you are right because it looks like Cotts is here to stay according to SL's interview.But I will say the support of the dressing room does not mean a lot when you are losing.

8 minutes ago, hortonred said:

I hope you are right because it looks like Cotts is here to stay according to SL's interview.But I will say the support of the dressing room does not mean a lot when you are losing.

it will mean even less if they believe that he was hard done by, any new manager coming in would face a monumental task to overcome that IMO.

I think if SL thought that the players were not putting in 100% SC would be gone in a heartbeat, at the moment several things appear not to be happening, firstly we are not converting enough of the few good chances that come our way and sometimes we create very little, on the occasions that our midfield go to sleep we get punished, we are not getting penalties but our opponents are and in far too many games I hear the same refrain "that was a wonder strike".

4 hours ago, hortonred said:

A new Manager would be a good start

A contract extension for our current manager would be our best business .... IN MY OPINION 

1 hour ago, John Galley said:

Heard a strong rumour today that Matt Smith will sign for us in January.

No idea of truth, but he isn't starting at Fulham, even Woodrow replaced Dembele ahead of Matt.

Guess a lot could depend on who comes in as manager.  Stuart Gray (isn't he a mate of Cotts?) is currently coach.

Personally, I don't think he's the answer to being a younger Wilbs...not at Championship level.  But maybe a partnership with Kodjia could be more than say we would have thought him partnering Agard at this level?  You never know.  How much would he cost though?

22 hours ago, Sniper said:

So SL want's us to go after the L1's best players.

Um......ok, that worked really well last season when we were actually in L1.

We couldn't organize a piss up in a brewery!:badmood:

And to answer the question, Bentley from Southend please, who I feel could cut it in the Championship.

so on one hand you criticise the principle of looking to League 1 players and then suggest Bentley? 

Only mentioned once but Jim O'Brien from Coventry to replace Pack in midfield would be a good shout. A bit older, experience North of the border, strong tackler, scores a few goals & been their captain for past couple of seasons through challenging & improving times.

I would have gone for him in the summer but perhaps he didn't fit our policy of buying younger players. The reality is you need a mix. QPR still have Fitz Hall & Clint Hill!!

Other midfielder I have always rated is Johnny Jackson at Charlton. Still in his mid twenties, been their captain for a few years & scores goals from midfield. Injured earlier this season & still on his way back but definitely their best player. Doubt he would come in January but if they go down & we stay up definitely worth going after.

I liked Ben Gladwin last season, looked dangerous against us & not surprised QPR signed him up. Don't know what his loan deal is at Swindle but I think he could cut it at this level, so again may be worth a punt at least for half a season.

Jan Kermogant can cut it at this level but whether he would come down from the Premier League, even on loan, has to be extremely doubtful.

Matt Smith as a back up to/ replacement for Wilbraham would be great if we could afford him & he could stay fit & injury free. Obviously Cheltenham link with SC helps plus he knows the club & got a good reception even when Fulham were killing us.

As for the rest, we need Elliot Bennett to the end of the season at least if not permanently, plus I would try to keep Liam Moore until May as well. A good player & I don't think we have seen the best of him. Plus if Ayling did get injured (or dropped) we would need a replacement.

20 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Blimey mate cheer up !!!!

the answer is, without paying stupid money, just about anyone if you pay them well.

a club with little ambition ...??? Are you for real or do you just walk around with your ears shut ? Andre Gray ?? Delight Gayle ??? A £45million pound stadium refit ?????? Shall I go on. 

A manager on the edge ?! A manager with passion is how I see it, a manager that like every other manager in the football league, wants more, more transfer funds, more scope on wages, he wants to win, things money wise have to be on a level footing for him to be able to compete surely !?

please, wake up and smell the coffee and stop moaning about everything you're fortunate enough to have !!

Quoting ivorguy. I think you will find that most of the fans who quickly condemn can be found on this forum and are maybe trying to start a 'heated debate' or have no depth of knowledge. Condemning the entire club and manager as you just did takes more practice. Hang on didn't we just win our first title for 58 years and aren't we building an impressive stadium? What's unambitious about that? 

I think yesterday showed just how nice it would be to have the luxury of resting players every now and then! Need 5 more for that really. Bradley Dack top of the list for me, then another CM, CB, GK and another ST. Would love to see Baker, Bennett and Moore sign on permanently! 

Optimistic I know, but you have to be or you just give up ;)

1 hour ago, Dr Balls said:

Only mentioned once but Jim O'Brien from Coventry to replace Pack in midfield would be a good shout. A bit older, experience North of the border, strong tackler, scores a few goals & been their captain for past couple of seasons through challenging & improving times.

That'd be by me.  Was really impressed with him in the three games against Coventry last season. 

At the Ricoh, there was spell in the second half, during which they scored, where him and Barton (Adam not Joey) took real control of the game.

At home in the JPT he was again very effective as Coventry knocked it about really well in the first half, luckily without creating much.

And finally in the game we drew 0-0, he was one if the the better players on the pitch.

My only doubt is that when City were in their stride during each of those games, he didn't work quite so hard if the ball.  That could've been instruction, i.e. just find yourself some space for when we do have the ball.

He's 28, but I think would be a good addition to a young squad.  I think he could play in any of the current three's positions (Pack, Smith, Freeman) giving us flexibility.

Can't imagine he'd cost much either....2 year contract runs out this summer (source: Wikipedia)

Adam Armstrong, Daniel Bentley and Bradley dack are all must buys tbh. All from lower league so value and wages not astronomical but all young and have quality to progress.

couple that with signing Moore, Bennett and baker on permanents, that would be good business.

Would also cancel the loan of cox and robinson and sign matt smith to compete with kodjia, wilbs and Agard as him and flint together at set pieces are destructive

Archived