IGNORED

Kodjia

Jasper Testimitanu

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

He always seems to have a better game when Wilbs is out there taking the majority of the punishment from their CBs

Absolutely 

Thats why I'd be persuaded to get Matt Smith back (At a sensible price)  - Think JK would benefit and SC would be able to utilise Wilbs when he's needed rather than burn him out every few weeks

There's been so many occasions this season where he's tried to set up a team mate instead of going alone and it's backfired, often because they end up messing it up. Bolton stands out for me when he got into a clear cut position on more than one occasion and instead of shooting tried to square it to Agard/Freeman who then didn't score for whatever reason. Personally more than happy for Jimmy to go it alone if he sees fit.

2 hours ago, nickolas said:

He is so open for a through ball and never gets the proper service he deserves. 

Watched him today when for the umpteenth time he made a run but didnt get the ball. He was clearly annoyed. 

Spent the next 5 mins sulking and therefore when his chances come he seems to think sod it and go it alone. I dont mind this. Atleast hes trying to score. So many of our players seem scared to shoot. 

Spot on. He must be the most frustrated striker in the league. The service he gets is dreadful. There was a moment at Huddersfield (5 mins after Freeman missed the open goal) where Pack had the ball, Kodjia made the perfect run, inviting the ball to be slipped between the defenders; that often happens, but this time the Huddersfield defenders were characteristically poor and failed to push up, which meant that the option was on for much more than a split second, long enough for even our fans to be screaming to play the ball through, and still Pack didn't. Kodjia was left banging his fists on the ground in sheer frustration.

It was Pack in this instance, but Freeman is the worst offender: that's meant to be what he does, but he never, ever, sees Kodjia's runs. That ball, slid through for him to run on to, is quite clearly what Kodjia is looking for, but in the past half dozen games we have given him one such pass: that was Bobby Reid v Blackburn when it very unluckily caught Kodjia's heel.

we just don't have the players with the same vision and speed of thought and it must frustrate the guy. I believe that's why he appears greedy at times: he knows damn well that if he passes the ball he won't  get it back again!

5 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Never watched Dack so couldn't comment but believe he plays a similar role for Gillingham.

Romaine Sawyers is another league one player who's creative and plays that role, someone will take a chance on him soon enough.

So long as its not us....show pony.................................................

Has anybody else spotted a distinct lack of cohesion between Freeman and Kodjia? I think today was the first time I've seen Luke play a meaningful pass to Kodjia all season and there have been occasions when they seem not to get on. For all the talk of Pack missing Kodjia's runs I think it is often Freeman who is not seeing where our very own Monsieur Danger is heading. Something for Cotts to iron out I think :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

Before I get slated I want to say I am a big fan of both players and just wish they could link up more! :thumbsup:

5 minutes ago, Agard Days Night said:

Has anybody else spotted a distinct lack of cohesion between Freeman and Kodjia? I think today was the first time I've seen Luke play a meaningful pass to Kodjia all season and there have been occasions when they seem not to get on. For all the talk of Pack missing Kodjia's runs I think it is often Freeman who is not seeing where our very own Monsieur Danger is heading. Something for Cotts to iron out I think :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

Before I get slated I want to say I am a big fan of both players and just wish they could link up more! :thumbsup:

In what way do they  "seem not to get on"? 

2 minutes ago, Donkeeebles said:

In what way do they  "seem not to get on"? 

Just seems to me they seem not to have clicked. Maybe a language barrier or maybe not hitting it off on or off the pitch. I was just wondering if anybody else had picked up on this. TBH I don't know either of the lads personally so maybe they get on like a house on fire!

3 minutes ago, Agard Days Night said:

Just seems to me they seem not to have clicked. Maybe a language barrier or maybe not hitting it off on or off the pitch. I was just wondering if anybody else had picked up on this. TBH I don't know either of the lads personally so maybe they get on like a house on fire!

Oh right. I dunno mate I just try to watch the football 

6 hours ago, Frenchay Red said:

Am I the only one who thinks Kodjia should sometimes have a look to see if someone is in a better position. A few times today he got into great positions as result of his brilliant skill but chose to shoot each time rather than lay it off. 

He's got great ability but needs to think whether trying to score himself every time is always the best option. 

That's the only part of his game which I think needs a little work.

He was clearly told to have every pop he could today.  He's laid balls off in the past, but not this match.

Cotterill's instructions I reckon.  And they very nearly worked.  

Freeman plays with his head down so can't see a through ball to the forwards. That's why many of us have been crying out for Bobby Reid because despite his other failings he would definitely provide better service to JK, especially balls in front of him to run onto. As it stands JK has to make at least 80% of his own chances which is ridiculous. And as our top striker he needs & deserves much better service. In other teams in this league he would be well into double figures for goals already.

What JK could really have done with was JET staying because although he could also be guilty of sometimes bein a bit greedy, he would have laid chances on a plate for JK. Just a shame it ain't going to happen.

Heard 2 QPR fans when walking to the car raving about JK and how he never gave up, and they wished they had a player like him, they also said 'Jet is Jet' when talking about his impact on the game, which I assume they also thought was zero.  I thought JK was top class yesterday and deserved a goal, hope he keeps it going!

8 hours ago, Donkeeebles said:

No problem. When you can properly explain how you've come to the conclusion 2 players "seem to not get on" I'll try to give you some more input. 

I'll have a go at explaining it... Or at least how I wondered the same thing... I'm sure it's not the case though.

At bolton the pair of them were shouting and appearing to have a go at each other on numerous occasions. More so than any other two players. Now this is probably down to frustration of miss placed passes etc but I didn't see jk react in the same way (at that game) to any of our other midfielders who failed to spot his runs. Likewise Freeman would react with venom. 

It's probably as simple as Freeman has more opportunities to play jk in and fails to do so therefore jk gets more frustrated with him.... To be honest, whilst rating Freeman, I get incredibly frustrated with him too as I probably expect more of him than others.

15 hours ago, KingLear said:

Agreed, he certainly seems to work better with Wilbs than any other of our strikers so having them both fresh was great, a bit of credit to SC who had identified the more likely game we were going to get points from and planned ahead accordingly.

Were not in a position to right off any game..

1 hour ago, redfieldred said:

Thought it was a fair comment that they don't click. Freeman has seemed to be a bit reluctant to give him the ball on occasions. But the same could be said for agard. 

Thats not what I'm questioning. If you both think he's been reluctant to give Kodjai the ball, don't click on a footballing level. that's not a problem. I can't say as I've noticed a reluctance to give Kodjai the ball any less than giving it to any other player so I don't agree but I accept both your opinions.

The part I'm confused about is how anyone can see that they don't get on and that's what I'm questioning. What is it that has made somebody think that? Have they been arguing on the pitch? Have they not been talking on the pitch? Have they been standing with their backs to each other? I do just watch the football so unless it's something obvious these kind of personal analysis seem to bypass me. 

19 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Were not in a position to right off any game..

I don't think any game was 'written off' the team we played at Derby I'm sure was a team that SC thought could get something, I just think he identified the more likely game we would get points in and rested players accordingly.

1 hour ago, cider-manc said:

I'll have a go at explaining it... Or at least how I wondered the same thing... I'm sure it's not the case though.

At bolton the pair of them were shouting and appearing to have a go at each other on numerous occasions. More so than any other two players. Now this is probably down to frustration of miss placed passes etc but I didn't see jk react in the same way (at that game) to any of our other midfielders who failed to spot his runs. Likewise Freeman would react with venom. 

It's probably as simple as Freeman has more opportunities to play jk in and fails to do so therefore jk gets more frustrated with him.... To be honest, whilst rating Freeman, I get incredibly frustrated with him too as I probably expect more of him than others.

Thank you. That's what I'm getting at. Again I was at Bolton and I didn't notice it but that's probably more down to me not looking or taking much notice. 

10 hours ago, Agard Days Night said:

My post citing Pack wasn't meant as a another dig at Pack - I'm not one of those looking for every chance to have a pop!. Just that at Huddersfield it happened to be Pack. I agree with you - the worst culprit is Freeman. At the end of the day Freeman's job is to be the creative one - and he just doesn't do it. I don't think it's a case of them "not getting on". I think that Freeman simply doesn't have quick enough speed of though or execution for this division. Like too many of our players, he's a decent league 1 player - where he gets that bit more time to look up, and defenders are a little slower to react (like the Huddersfield defence when Pack had that opportunity). But at this level you get neither - and his feet and his brain are just not smart enough for this level.

Am I alone in thinking that Kodjia would be brilliant in Freemans position? Could be lethal picking the ball up facing the goal and running at players. Also has a good shot. I know we are short of strikers but we get almost no goals from Freeman and Kodjia might just thrive in that position. 

22 minutes ago, aa_bcfc said:

Am I alone in thinking that Kodjia would be brilliant in Freemans position? Could be lethal picking the ball up facing the goal and running at players. Also has a good shot. I know we are short of strikers but we get almost no goals from Freeman and Kodjia might just thrive in that position. 

I think it would be a terrible thing to do. 

1 hour ago, aa_bcfc said:

I think one place he could play would be wide in a front 3 with freedom to cut inside, like Zaha/Bolasie - we don't have the players to try that at the moment though especially as he's our main goal threat

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think one place he could play would be wide in a front 3 with freedom to cut inside, like Zaha/Bolasie - we don't have the players to try that at the moment though especially as he's our main goal threat

Noticed yesterday he drifted out to the left a fair bit. Don't know if that was a plan to target their right back but it did seem to be pretty effective

Archived