IGNORED

Radio Bristol's future coverage of Yeovil

Eddie Hitler

It looks likely that, as a result of zero ambition from their Board, that Yeovil will be back in the Conference either next season or the season after; and will stay there.

So what does this do to their Radio Bristol status as Bristol's third club?

The Gas retained their usual status when non-league and the listening figures probably went up as City fans tuned in for a laugh ("I been through two divorces...").  But their league exile was always going to be temporary, they are based in Bristol, and they have a relatively big support; albeit less than City and more prone to punching horses.

Most people on here quite like Yeovil, but most people like, say, Bristol Manor Farm.  So that's not enough.

So if they go back to being good non-leaguers with the odd great cup run do they retain this favoured status?  Anybody remember (I'm thinking of you here John) what coverage they received fifteen years ago on RB?

6 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

It looks likely that, as a result of zero ambition from their Board, that Yeovil will be back in the Conference either next season or the season after; and will stay there.

So what does this do to their Radio Bristol status as Bristol's third club?

The Gas retained their usual status when non-league and the listening figures probably went up as City fans tuned in for a laugh ("I been through two divorces...").  But their league exile was always going to be temporary, they are based in Bristol, and they have a relatively big support; albeit less than City and more prone to punching horses.

Most people on here quite like Yeovil, but most people like, say, Bristol Manor Farm.  So that's not enough.

So if they go back to being good non-leaguers with the odd great cup run do they retain this favoured status?  Anybody remember (I'm thinking of you here John) what coverage they received fifteen years ago on RB?

I don't think they will go down. They are improving

28 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Not me, despise them and their fans holier than thou opinion of themselves. Looking forward to them pissing off to non league & never to return! 

4 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I don't know how a town of 40,000 in a very rural area, can sustain a full time professional league team.

And if that is fact, then what if FGR get league status with a population in Nailsworth less than 10,000.

I've got a friend who knows John Fry a bit and prior to their promotion to the championship he basically said, off the record, he didn't really want the promotion because they can't sustain the costs, allegedly.

Done remarkably well to get to where they have in the last decade or so, mainly down to a certain conference manager, but it's simply not sustainable for a club of that size. 

They do get quite a bit of `rural` support. I do a lot of work in South Somerset/West Dorset and it`s surprising how often you come across their fans, I`ve met quite a few in Dorchester, Bridport and places like that. I suppose it comes from them being the biggest club around for years and the only alternative being Bournemouth who up until a few years ago weren`t really much larger than them. Coupled with Dean Court being on the wrong side of town and a real pain to get to from the west it`s sort of understandable I suppose.

Radio Bristol has an unusual area, which stretches a long way south of Bristol but not very far north, and goes east beyond Bath. Bath and Weston, who are in National League South, should have preference over Western League clubs like Manor Farm, as should the local clubs in the Southern League.  

BBCBristol.JPG

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

I don't know how a town of 40,000 in a very rural area, can sustain a full time professional league team.

And if that is fact, then what if FGR get league status with a population in Nailsworth less than 10,000.

I'd disagree with your point regarding Forest Green, they have Stroud and Gloucester only a short distance away. They're not out in the middle of no where like Yeovil are.

13 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Radio Bristol has an unusual area, which stretches a long way south of Bristol but not very far north, and goes east beyond Bath. Bath and Weston, who are in National League South, should have preference over Western League clubs like Manor Farm, as should the local clubs in the Southern League.  

BBCBristol.JPG

Well this explains why, living on the far West side of Chippenham, I annoyingly struggle to get RB at home.

3 hours ago, Big Red Rich said:

Not me, despise them and their fans holier than thou opinion of themselves. Looking forward to them pissing off to non league & never to return! 

Despise them?? Blimey there ere some odd ones about, why would you want a West Country Club out of the Football League? I sort of get the Rovers thing, although it is again a bit hysterical, but this area is already bereft of any good league clubs without making things worse. 

30 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

BBCBristol.JPG

It covers further North than Gloucester, I have pulled in a signal just South of Brum.

23 minutes ago, BS15_RED said:

I'd disagree with your point regarding Forest Green, they have Stroud and Gloucester only a short distance away. They're not out in the middle of no where like Yeovil are.

That's the point though isn't it. Yeovil are the nearest league club for a substantial population living in South Somerset and North Dorset.  They pick up support from all sorts of towns.

I live about 20 miles north of Yeovil,  but there are few Glovers fans in the village. They see YTFC as the Somerset club and don't identify with Bristol at all.

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Well this explains why, living on the far West side of Chippenham, I annoyingly struggle to get RB at home.

I find that it's fine until you come off at J17, starts crackling when you get to Morrisons and then goes in and out all the way down West Cepen Way ... have learnt that if I reverse into my driveway I get a much better signal that if I drive to straight in!

2 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I use to get very good reception in Cardiff when I lived there, presumably because it's just across the water. I believe that the MW is going after the New Year, so they will only broadcast on VHF and DAB.

2 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I have always found it ok around Wiltshire. Don't ever venture up to Swindon or that area so no idea what it's like up there. Odd how you struggle to get signal.

3 minutes ago, New Dazzler said:

Didn't she invent Sat Nav? - she was,after all, a founder member of The Tom Tom Club:whistle:

What would we do on a Sunday afternoon without threads  that cover Bristol Manor Farm, Radio Bristol, Dorset holiday resorts, music and sat nav?

49 minutes ago, Palmers Green Red said:

I find that it's fine until you come off at J17, starts crackling when you get to Morrisons and then goes in and out all the way down West Cepen Way ... have learnt that if I reverse into my driveway I get a much better signal that if I drive to straight in!

Yep that's pretty much what I find. I have been known to edge up and down the driveway in the car trying to find a signal! Occasionally I can find a weak one.

3 hours ago, pongo88 said:

BBCBristol.JPG

That is an incredibly old map and it's completely out of date.

Since Yeovil would still be the top club within the BBC Somerset patch, I doubt that anything will change.

2 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

On a good day maybe; I used to live in Gloucester and it was often unlistenable during the middle part of the day.

I live in the Forest of Dean and RB is unlistenable all day long.

Signal's good though.

Don't thinle Yeovil will  exit the league never done us any harm, but the 15ers if they lose their appeal against Sainsburys this January, no new ground enormous wonga loan to repay no money could have 12 points deduction it's back to the conference for them,could be a great new year.

Archived