IGNORED

Reactive or proactive?

GrahamC

Despite Charlton being comfortably the worst side to visit BS3 this season they escaped with a point.

Yes, Pack should have scored the penalty, yes, we should have scored at least two more, but what is it with the substitutions?

I couldn't see Charlton scoring if I'm honest but why on earth weren't Little, Williams and Burns on by the 80 minute mark?

Totally baffling.

Burns definitely for me Graham - Wilbs was a near passenger for the final 15 mins if not longer - Charlton were a shambles at the back and I think Wes's pace in the channels would have been the last thing they wanted - instead , right at the death we got nervy withdrew and everyone in the ground knew what was going to happen 

One of SCs major failings for me - substitutions

He quite clearly doesn't trust those on the bench and if I was one of them it would be exactly how I'd feel

Totally agree.

We also looked "leggy" towards the end and although the Burnley game may well be off, the possibility of us playing two days later with a very similar XI made the lack of changes just impossible to fathom.

Probably the worst team to visit for the last two seasons as I can't remember many worse last season, even Walsall looked like they had half an idea, so easily the most worrying home result since the Johnson Cardiff or Doncaster home stuffings - on the subs am assuming saving players for Monday but you'd have thought if you were handing out rests the first team was a good place to start. All eyes on Williams, Reid and Burns now!

I personally feel he should be utilising his subs better but today I could understand why he didn't earlier than previous games because we were playing well.

What I cannot understand for the life of me is why with 4 mins injury time and 3 subs left you don't bring on all 3 on at separate occasions to break up the flow of the game. It stops them getting any rhythm and makes it harder to maintain any kind of pressure. 

Its basics ffs 

Because SC is one of the most stubborn & one eyed managers I have ever known.  He doesn't seem to have a back up plan if the situation on the pitch changes. Remember the goal against QPR only came about because Williams was injured so he had to bring on Joe Bryan. Not a tactical switch!

Clear that the Charlton final substitution & the penalty miss changed things with them going 2 up front & starting to dominate in midfield.

Everyone could see that injury time goal coming. Exactly the same scenario as MK Dons & just as damaging.

Unless SC can change we are doomed to an immediate return to League 1. On that basis I would suggest we are odds on to go down. Sorry for the pessimism but one definition of madness is to keep doing the same thing & expecting a different result. Our results speak for themselves & the table doesn't lie.

Archived