IGNORED

Luke Freeman

Bs4Red

Personally thought he was awful yesterday again. 

Except for the assist which was from a corner so for me doesn't count he contributed absolutely nothing. 

Constantly runs down dark alleys, kills space of other players and has a real lack of quality on the ball as all he wants to do is stepovers. 

He made 0 keys passes yesterday and is seen as our most creative player. All huff and puff but just not good enough at this level I'm afraid. For me a creative midfielder is a must. 

For me, can't believe he's played all season. 

Also never scored at Ashton Gate, worrying for your most "creative" player.

I'd like to see him as a winger, preferably in a 4231 where he's a left attacking midfielder, Burns/Bennett can play on the right but we lack the central player in the middle (JET :whistle:) behind Kodjia.

Pack (or an upgrade) and Smith sitting deeper with a back four. I feel that shape could work for us with a couple of additions.

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I'd like to see him as a winger, preferably in a 4231 where he's a left attacking midfielder, Burns/Bennett can play on the right but we lack the central player in the middle (JET :whistle:) behind Kodjia.

Pack (or an upgrade) and Smith sitting deeper with a back four. I feel that shape could work for us with a couple of additions.

I just can't see him beating players as a winger, he rarely beats his man and when he does he goes back and tries to beat him again. Personally very disappointed with him. 

hes definitely not showed last seasons form. My main concern is his inability to link play with kodja. Nearly everything kodja does he works for himself. Freeman rarely see's the runs made by kodja. Been found out this season and hasn't got as much time on the ball as he wants, but I ain't writing him off. He will learn from this season and I just hope a spell on the sidelines will help. That won't happen though as under SC he Is undropable

Most overrated City player I can remember.

Undoubtedly skilled at set pieces but ineffective last season from open play, useless this.

Despite minimal defensive responsibilities he has scored one fluke goal and 0 open play assists in half a season. Poor at shooting, no eye for a killer pass, not particularly quick but great at stepovers. 

Reid, for all his faults, has contributed more in 3 starts and a few sub appearances.

Edit: Look at our substantial highlights from yesterday. Barely any involved Freeman.

The worse thing about Freeman's play is how easily he's dispossessed.  Needs to work on building up his strength. 

I actually thought he had a fairly good first half and carried the ball up for us very successfully,  but he seemed to go to pieces in the second period.  

Guest John Ward's MBE

Thought him and Pack were two of our better players yesterday. Very much the scapegoats currently it would appear. 

Freeman carried the ball well, showed a trick or two and generally looked good. Also tracked his and others runners as he should. One of a couple of players who make themselves available, especially from throw ins every time whilst others hide. Be interesting to see a few "prozone" facts of available.

Disappointing he's not got the backing of the supporters. 

4 minutes ago, John Ward's MBE said:

Thought him and Pack were two of our better players yesterday. Very much the scapegoats currently it would appear. 

Freeman carried the ball well, showed a trick or two and generally looked good. Also tracked his and others runners as he should. One of a couple of players who make themselves available, especially from throw ins every time whilst others hide. Be interesting to see a few "prozone" facts of available.

I thought he had a decent game, Bennett's the one I'm disappointed with, totally ineffective and had zero impact on the game

6 minutes ago, John Ward's MBE said:

Really? I agree though Pack was okay. I said things all the things about Freeman last year as I am now. Not a scapegoat at all. 

He is ineffective in open play, just because he can do a trick or two, he doesn't do anything apart from that. He plays as if Kodjia is invisible and his lack of a final ball in open play is worrying for someone who is supposed to be our most creative player. 

I made the point before that he doesn't create anything, 0 assists in open play is an absolute joke for our "playmaker" 

Yesterday he made numerous runs into the channels where Bennett and Bryan were waiting for a pass, once he realises he can't beat a man he lays it off to them who then have to deal with two defenders, the man marking him and freemans man. Needs an extremely long break.

Makes me laugh how everyone jumps on Pack's back, yet his key passing stats show he creates the same number of chances as Freeman, despite the fact that he plays 20 yards deeper - yet very little criticism of Luke, by comparison.

No two ways about it, Freeman looks a shadow of the player he was last season. The fact that a midfielder who sits just in front of the defenders (Pack) has contributed as much in an attacking sense as Freeman speaks volumes. If Kodjia had someone behind him feeding him the right balls, he'd have a lot more clear cut chances, rather than being expected to be both the creator and the scorer.

Guest wheatus59
1 hour ago, Bs4Red said:

Except for the assist which was from a corner so for me doesn't count he contributed absolutely nothing. 

Constantly runs down dark alleys, kills space of other players and has a real lack of quality on the ball as all he wants to do is stepovers. 

He made 0 keys passes yesterday and is seen as our most creative player. All huff and puff but just not good enough at this level I'm afraid. For me a creative midfielder is a must. 

You must have had your eyes shut , the man had his best game for a long time , as did most of the players , all we lacked was a finish , had Pack scored the penalty we would probably have gone on to win comfortably , im all for having a go when we play poorly , but get off of Freemans back and get behind the team , we all get disappointed when we don't win but don't let that taint your view of a great game , loads of chances , good crosses , just no finish , im not giving up on us yet , I think we can turn it around .  

1 hour ago, John Ward's MBE said:

Jesus Christ; how sensitive are some people?  "Scapegoat"?  So despite giving a player half a season as a nailed on starter (when he's not sidelined due to completely avoidable and stupid red card, it should be noted) it is unreasonable to suggest that he unfortunately not performing to the standard we need to keep us competitive and in the division?

I've been accused of being a happy-clapper before, and Freeman has certainly not lost my support when he pulls on the shirt, but if it wasn't/isn't obvious that we need another player who can play that role and push him for that spot, then I suggest we are not going to see eye-to-eye.

Pointing out Luke is not quick or physical enough, or contributing enough outside of set pieces to claim his spot unchallenged is entirely fair, and certainly far from "scapegoating" him.

7 minutes ago, samo II said:

Jesus Christ; how sensitive are some people?  "Scapegoat"?  So despite giving a player half a season as a nailed on starter (when he's not sidelined due to completely avoidable and stupid red card, it should be noted) it is unreasonable to suggest that he unfortunately not performing to the standard we need to keep us competitive and in the division?

I've been accused of being a happy-clapper before, and Freeman has certainly not lost my support when he pulls on the shirt, but if it wasn't/isn't obvious that we need another player who can play that role and push him for that spot, then I suggest we are not going to see eye-to-eye.

Pointing out Luke is not quick or physical enough, or contributing enough outside of set pieces to claim his spot unchallenged is entirely fair, and certainly far from "scapegoating" him.

It's difficult to criticise a player who is quite obviously giving his all for the team, but unless he learns to get his head up, he is going to get plenty of criticism. Misses quite obvious balls because he feels the need to try and beat a player every time. When he doesn't it takes the momentum out of the play and allows the opposition to organise behind the ball. We are really suffering from lack of momentum in possession and this is mostly down to him.

Gary Johnson (remember him?) used to say he wanted players who  affected the game. For all Freeman's running around, he usually doesn't affect the game as, this season. he rarely scores and doesn't provide assists. A replacement is urgently required January. 

11 minutes ago, redfieldred said:

It's difficult to criticise a player who is quite obviously giving his all for the team, but unless he learns to get his head up, he is going to get plenty of criticism. Misses quite obvious balls because he feels the need to try and beat a player every time. When he doesn't it takes the momentum out of the play and allows the opposition to organise behind the ball. We are really suffering from lack of momentum in possession and this is mostly down to him.

Precisely.

Watch our goal against QPR; he takes a touch, then passes it up - he moves the ball on to others and keeps the momentum of a good move going.

In the same match I saw him repeatedly take a couple of touches, then be overtaken by opposition players who he lacks the pace to outrun, so be forced to go sideways or backwards; there are countless examples of this across the season so far, and few of him breaking out of that area under similar circumstances.

Alongside someone able to and tasked with that (which neither Pack of Smith seems to be, or does), I can see us getting more from him.  

Equally, the suggested wider role might actually help too, as at least wide left his ability to beat a man with skill rather than pace, and less players swarming him, might lead him to be a McIndoe-esk player, in terms of threat coming in to support the forwards.

But right now we need fresh ideas and energy in that central area, if only to force Freeman into upping his own game.

11 minutes ago, samo II said:

Precisely.

Watch our goal against QPR; he takes a touch, then passes it up - he moves the ball on to others and keeps the momentum of a good move going.

In the same match I saw him repeatedly take a couple of touches, then be overtaken by opposition players who he lacks the pace to outrun, so be forced to go sideways or backwards; there are countless examples of this across the season so far, and few of him breaking out of that area under similar circumstances.

Alongside someone able to and tasked with that (which neither Pack of Smith seems to be, or does), I can see us getting more from him.  

Equally, the suggested wider role might actually help too, as at least wide left his ability to beat a man with skill rather than pace, and less players swarming him, might lead him to be a McIndoe-esk player, in terms of threat coming in to support the forwards.

But right now we need fresh ideas and energy in that central area, if only to force Freeman into upping his own game.

Might be an idea to play him as wing back if we lose Bennett. He certainly can get up and down the pitch, but maybe needs to improve his tackling. He is not hacking it in the centre, Reid created more in half a match than he has in 4 or 5. That is not down to other players it's down to him 

8 minutes ago, redfieldred said:

Might be an idea to play him as wing back if we lose Bennett. He certainly can get up and down the pitch, but maybe needs to improve his tackling. He is not hacking it in the centre, Reid created more in half a match than he has in 4 or 5. That is not down to other players it's down to him 

wing back?!

we really are desperate

As I have alluded to in other threads, Freeman has the potential to be an excellent player at this level. For me he is neither playing any better or worse than last season, but he is up against better or more tactically astute opposition. 

If he is to grow as a player, he really needs hard hours put in on the training ground under the guidance of a veteran pro or experienced coach. Someone we may need to add to our back room staff asap.

4 hours ago, Bs4Red said:

Strange. I thought it was easily his best game this season, albeit against a team of L1 standard, which we know he is excellent at. 

I've been all for replacing him for much of this season but yesterday I thought he worked hard, looked to be direct, improved his touch and looked a constant threat. Shame he could top it off with a goal. 

3 hours ago, redfieldred said:

Excellent point. I think we tend to play better when we are passing the ball around quickly. We look much more effective and confident. Freeman does tend to get the ball and try to take 3 defenders on, a little flick and fancy stepovers and is easily dispossessed. He isn't quick enough mentally or physically strong enough to get success that often. As you say he slows things down and allows the better Championship grade players to easily regroup. 

Again this should be where a clever use of a substitute is utilised. Let Freeman work at a high tempo for 60/70 minutes and sub him for fresh legs if needed. There is no disgrace in being subbed if you have given your all. It's a team game, use the full hand. 

No, he's definitely playing worse, And it's down to his own passing/finishing, not the ability of opposition players. That will have a factor, but Freeman has been wasteful and made the wrong decisions consistently this season. It must be a confidence issue, because I know he has the talent.

It would be wise to remember that Freeman has only ever played on the wing prior to us signing him. 

Cotterill asked him to play in a new position and previous interviews with both of them acknowledged how difficult Freeman initially found the adjustment. Freeman's quote was "it's more of a thinking position and it took me a while to adapt". 

This was in League 1, where he ended up playing the position very well, but let's not forget that he's a winger and this is still new to him. 

Perhaps he's finding similar struggles that he did early on in League 1. "A thinking position". Perhaps Luke adjusted to the position in L1 because he had a little more time to think? Perhaps he's still adjusting to an unfamiliar position, with less thinking time, against better opposition, at a level he's never even played at in his natural position as a winger. 

Three options as far as I can see :

1) persist and hope he adjusts to become competent at this level 

2) drop him completely, he's not good enough for this level  

3) play him in his natural position of winger and see if he's good enough at this level. 

With two minutes to go we had a 3 vs 2 counter attack situation, all Freeman had to do was either pass down the line on the right side to Kodjia who was still in our half so wouldn't have been of side, or he could have passed across to Joe on the left wing. 

It should have been the easiest pass he would have made all day but inexplicably Freeman managed to get disposessed and a minute later they scored.

Sums him up, he has zero chemistry with Kodjia who Has probably stopped expecting any decent supply from him by now.

9 hours ago, BCFC Jordan said:

No, he's definitely playing worse, And it's down to his own passing/finishing, not the ability of opposition players. That will have a factor, but Freeman has been wasteful and made the wrong decisions consistently this season. It must be a confidence issue, because I know he has the talent.

Shooting and decision making are worse and that is down to having his confidence knocked by being up against better defenders. So I reckon the 2 things are linked.

5 hours ago, Thatwasclose said:

With two minutes to go we had a 3 vs 2 counter attack situation, all Freeman had to do was either pass down the line on the right side to Kodjia who was still in our half so wouldn't have been of side, or he could have passed across to Joe on the left wing. 

It should have been the easiest pass he would have made all day but inexplicably Freeman managed to get disposessed and a minute later they scored.

Sums him up, he has zero chemistry with Kodjia who Has probably stopped expecting any decent supply from him by now.

It was actually Korey Smith who didn't make the pass in the 3 v 2 situation. So we can't blame Freeman for this one. 

My view on Freeman is that he started the season poorly, he looked sluggish and it looked like he was carrying to much weight. The last 2 games he's improved and looked something like the Freeman of last season although I agree there are a number of times where he needs to get his head up and spot the runs being made by Kodjia/Bryan as there are a number of times he holds onto the ball too long. 

Himself and Pack are easy targets for criticism as they are the 2 players who take risks in a game by trying a long pass or taking on a man and as you expect these don't always come off.(that's why there playing for us and not Barcelona)  Those that criticise them always remember the 3-4 mistakes rather than there entire impact on the game. 

The team are creating chances as witnessed on Saturday of which a lot of the build up goes through Freeman so some of the criticsm is unfair although like every other player in our team there is room for improvement. And let's face it what alternative do we have?

Freeman has been found wanting at this level I am afraid.

1. He is not mentally quick enough. He plays with his head down (a hangover from being a winger?), doesn't see through-balls to the forwards & is not a natural central midfield player.

2. He is not physically quick enough or strong enough. He can't beat players with pace because he doesn't have any so resorts to step overs etc. He can't make enough space to get in a cross in open play unlike Bennett or Bryan. And he is far too easily knocked off the ball.

Cotterill has given Freeman half a season to prove he is up to it and clearly he is not. He has been woeful in most matches & only picked up a bit against QPR before slipping back again on Boxing Day. He would not make the first team for many if any other clubs at this level. He is a weak link & could have done with being dropped. However Cotterill obviously doesn't rate Bobby Reid despite most of us seeing that he provides a much better link to the forwards & is actually a central midfield player.

If we are to stay up, replacements for both Freeman & Pack are essential because as much as it's the system we play that is giving us problems, it is also some of the personnel.

20 hours ago, Spoons said:

hes definitely not showed last seasons form. My main concern is his inability to link play with kodja. Nearly everything kodja does he works for himself. Freeman rarely see's the runs made by kodja. Been found out this season and hasn't got as much time on the ball as he wants, but I ain't writing him off. He will learn from this season and I just hope a spell on the sidelines will help. That won't happen though as under SC he Is undropable

But will he get another chance to play at Championship level next season with us?

I consider him to be technically good but no football brain. He cannot see openings that need a pass through for those like Kodjia to move on to. Goes round and round in circles or runs fifty metres away from support.

It makes me realise why no other club bought him from Stevenage.

Archived