IGNORED

Subs

Shtanley

Subs play a huge part in football. From your instant impacts to instant disappointments. Cotterill has made some fantastic substitutions this season to get us points. Agard and Reid vs Leeds, and Joe Bryan against QPR are 2 that immediately spring to mind. I too think Cotterill needs to use his subs more than he does. But it got me thinking, how much time does Cotterill actually give his subs on the pitch? So I worked it out. I ignored games where we went down to 10 men early on (Brentford and Blackburn) because it wouldn't be a natural reflection of our manager's tendencies. I couldn't be bothered to look at last season and I've also ignored any injuries to players like Baker vs Cardiff and Bryan vs Sheff Wednesday. 

In total he gave these subs 781 minutes of football. Between 50 of them.

Which means that on average they are getting brought on at the 75th minute. Which isn't that terrible, but I still feel you should be averaging around 60th-70th. Hopefully he soon realises that when he has made substitutions that aren't late it's often effected the game in a good way. COYR etc.

Please respect that my calculations could be horrifically inaccurate so feel free to work out your own statistics. 

Indeed it is very frustrating that Cotts seems so reluctant to utilize the subs, especially when players from the starting 11 have tired. Cotts himself has stated how much the wingback role takes out of players, yet against MKD he left a tired Little on, who then gets done for MKD's injury time equalizer. Yesterday he left Bryan on and when you look at their goal, it was a tired attempt by Bryan that gifts the ball to the Charlton player who then scores. Whereas fresh legs would have cleared it.

I should make clear I'm in favour of Cotts remaining in charge, just wish he was not so damn stubborn when it comes to using the subs!

Can we read anything into Wilbs playing 90 yesterday that he won't start v Burnley?

Much as I'd like to see what Cox is capable of doing for us, imagine him starting v Burnley, having a great game, with Kodjia and then having to miss Reading due to ineligibility!

Perhaps that is the master-plan!

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Can we read anything into Wilbs playing 90 yesterday that he won't start v Burnley?

Much as I'd like to see what Cox is capable of doing for us, imagine him starting v Burnley, having a great game, with Kodjia and then having to miss Reading due to ineligibility!

Perhaps that is the master-plan!

I'm not sure you can read anything into yesterday.

It simply made no sense at all that we made our only sub in the 93rd minute when the opposition had already made all theirs by the hour.

Kodjia had a poor day in front of goal, Wilbraham was labouring by the 75th minute mark, both wing backs could have done with a rest late on and Reid could have replaced Freeman but none of this happened..

I fully expect just one change if tomorrow's game takes place, Williams for Bryan.

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

It simply made no sense at all that we made our only sub in the 93rd minute when the opposition had already made all theirs by the hour.

Kodjia had a poor day in front of goal, Wilbraham was labouring by the 75th minute mark, both wing backs could have done with a rest late on and Reid could have replaced Freeman but none of this happened..

I fully expect just one change if tomorrow's game takes place, Williams for Bryan.

Graham - you are probably spot on.  The thing for me is that I think Joe against Lowton or Darikwa, will stop us getting pushed back than if Derrick plays there.

Had we got the three points yesterday, I might've been cautious, but I think on their run of one win in eight, I think it is time to take it to them. We really need 3 points tomorrow.

I suppose the fact that we are playing Monday, gives an extra rest day to the normal 3 in 7 days.

JET was the perfect sub to have last season. Even though I wanted him to start more, I could appreciate the key role he had when coming on,

If we were in the lead, as was the case more often than not, he was the last player the opposition wanted to see coming on. We'd keep our strong defensive shape and JET would be key to the counter. His strength at holding up the ball, his dribbling ability, his passing ability, his capability of a screamer from 20-30 yards, the opposition didn't know what to do, and he relieved the pressure off the players we had out there so often. If we could have added to that Kodjia's pace and running too... *sigh*

20 hours ago, GrahamC said:

It makes perfect sense. Charlton were wasting time from the first minute and we only started doing that after missing the penalty.

The thing tha really annoyed me about the Charlton game and the subs is that we should have used them as all other clubs do, to close the game out. Any other visiting team in our position would have used the subs to waste as much time as possible. We never see our players going down in the far flung corners with a dodgy head injury that improves the minute the reg gets there and asks if the person concerned needs a trainer. Cotterill was gong bring on Wes with 3 of the 4 minutes gone, there would have been two unused subs.

Everyone around feared exactly what happened. Kodjia missed a hatful of chances, we were in numerous good positions but paied to capitalise, the penalty was missed. But when all is said the man who had the power to close out those extra 4 minutes was SC. He stood there and did nothing, the subs weren't even warming up.

Until Tuesday I thought we had a chance of staying up, now I don't, we are too naive, 3 subs to use in 4 extra minutes, there shouldn't have been any football played and we should have won 1 0 and complained that we should have scored more. Crazy.

Archived