IGNORED

france and spain

fly in the air

Outside of Cotterill, Burt and the board I doubt that very many know.

Seeing as Ligue 1 is pretty much known territory those days, we are probably looking in Ligue 2 in France.

There are a couple of very small clubs in La Liga, Getafe, Eibar and Vallecano being three, so players at those clubs could fit our wage structure, I guess.

59 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Outside of Cotterill, Burt and the board I doubt that very many know.

Seeing as Ligue 1 is pretty much known territory those days, we are probably looking in Ligue 2 in France.

There are a couple of very small clubs in La Liga, Getafe, Eibar and Vallecano being three, so players at those clubs could fit our wage structure, I guess.

oh the ignorance, do you honestly believe either of these 3 are "smaller" than our beloved BCFC. As an example Getafe are based in the centre of Madrid, wages would easily be on a par with ours, lets not get unrealistic in our wants!

La Liga or the championship, honestly which would you choose?

24 minutes ago, frenchred said:

oh the ignorance, do you honestly believe either of these 3 are "smaller" than our beloved BCFC. As an example Getafe are based in the centre of Madrid, wages would easily be on a par with ours, lets not get unrealistic in our wants!

Oh the ignorance??

Getafe is about 10 miles outside of Madrid. A separate conurbation.  The Spanish, smaller, equivalent of Watford.  Eibar are the equivalent of Accrington.  Vayo are a left wing, smaller version of Millwall. Spanish football doesn't have the depth of English football - only German football can compete on those terms.  Most players at clubs like Rayo, Vayo etc are on shortish contracts looking to get deals elsewhere in the long run. Most of their players are probably on lower money that Championship players.

The advantage of being in the championship is that we can offer wages better than most bottom half teams in both these countries first tiers. However, it's still a step down to a second division and you aren't going to attract many like that. I imagine we've got our eyes on gems in the second divisions. Such as Kodjia or someone like Newcastle's Ayoze Perez who I believe came from a second tier Spanish team. There are gems out there but risks have to be taken to uncover them. We can't afford as many misses as some other teams. This is where are scouting team makes their money. Have to be right more often than not. 

27 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Oh the ignorance??

Getafe is about 10 miles outside of Madrid. A separate conurbation.  The Spanish, smaller, equivalent of Watford.  Eibar are the equivalent of Accrington.  Vayo are a left wing, smaller version of Millwall. Spanish football doesn't have the depth of English football - only German football can compete on those terms.  Most players at clubs like Rayo, Vayo etc are on shortish contracts looking to get deals elsewhere in the long run. Most of their players are probably on lower money that Championship players.

I've lived in Madrid and I went to an away game with Rayo vs Real Madrid. They're from a really poor area of Madrid and at their games you'll see loads of communist and anarchist insignia. Lots of their fans help out with unofficial communes in poor areas of Madrid.

on the metro "football special" equivalent joints were being passed round and two mancunians who had adopted Rayo as their club (brandishing an old Rave flag) somehow identified me as English from my eyes which was wierd. Loads of them like English "casual" style and wore West Ham badges and caps strangely. 

They were interested in Bristol City and a had a street party before setting off, they really like the English "casual" style and were asking me lots of questions about it.

Id say they are more similar to St Pauli than Millwall and it's hard to find an English equivalent as there's not such a radical political club I can think of in the UK.

Great atmosphere in the away end, the Bernebeu was a library apart from where we were. If anyone visits Madrid, a Rayo game is recommended.

59 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Last season Vallecano averaged just over 10,000, Getafe around 7,000 and Eibar less than 5,000, all this in a league where you get to play Barca and Real Madrid.

As you rightly said, ignorance...

Archived