IGNORED

the here and now

fly in the air

Lets all be serious. Forget last season which was fantastic how many more games would U give cotts before action is needed . I think this defeat away at Burnley  could be it. A city this size and we can't hold our own in the 2nd Tier of English football its embarrassing. Please Steve Lansdown a real tough decision is needed. We are in free fall.

Guest ashtonphil
1 hour ago, fly in the air said:

You might well be right. In that case get him an experience coach in to help. It happens in industry. It could save him his job and save our season

Do you honestly believe a man as "arrogant and self confident" as Cotterill will ever admit HE needs help?

So many ifs and buts, and I think the confidence of the squad must be pretty low.  I'm a glass half full rather than empty, so I'm still in a positive mood, but I'm really worried re our position.

The stupid thing is that had we clung on against Charlton if would look so much better.  This division is about fine lines, but I accept we are too often on the wrong side of that line.  That is becoming a worrying trend....as is heavier defeats away from home.

Could we go to Reading and win?  If we did (huge if I accept), then we would have taken 4pts from 9, which is probably 1 more than most expected.  The thing us, we haven't got those 3 points and it is likely to be 1pt from 9.

Cotts needs to win some games in the near future or else he will make his position untenable.  Others are winning the odd game around us.  It is getting harder to remain positive.

There will need to be a real lift on the training ground this week to get the players heads up.

Guest ashtonphil
5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

So many ifs and buts, and I think the confidence of the squad must be pretty low.  I'm a glass half full rather than empty, so I'm still in a positive mood, but I'm really worried re our position.

The stupid thing is that had we clung on against Charlton if would look so much better.  This division is about fine lines, but I accept we are too often on the wrong side of that line.  That is becoming a worrying trend....as is heavier defeats away from home.

Could we go to Reading and win?  If we did (huge if I accept), then we would have taken 4pts from 9, which is probably 1 more than most expected.  The thing us, we haven't got those 3 points and it is likely to be 1pt from 9.

Cotts needs to win some games in the near future or else he will make his position untenable.  Others are winning the odd game around us.  It is getting harder to remain positive.

There will need to be a real lift on the training ground this week to get the players heads up.

I agree - but at what point, if not already, does his position become untenable. How many more poor results does it take.?

8 minutes ago, ashtonphil said:

I agree - but at what point, if not already, does his position become untenable. How many more poor results does it take.?

Big clubs are ruthless, Mourinho won the premier league and league cup for Chelsea last season - gone.

Di Matteo won the champions league and FA cup for Chelsea, six months later - gone.

Of course we aren't in their league (no pun intended!) but why do we put up with under achievement and poor results until it's too late?

Successful, forward thinking clubs realise quickly when their managers are out of their depth  - Leicester, Southampton, Swansea, Liverpool, Watford etc...

We just seem to have too much of a conscience, we show sentiment and loyalty (and that's admirable) but that's why we aren't progressing.

In April this year I questioned whether Mr Lansdown would be brave enough to say 'Thanks for all you've done Cotts but we don't think you are the man to help us really move on in the Championship.'

I just wish we'd think really big and get a proven manager and proven players at the level in which we find ourselves...

15 minutes ago, ashtonphil said:

I think it depends on whether he can stabilise results ahead of new signings (permies or loans).  In an ideal world, SL would want an upturn before letting a manager bring in new players.  What you wouldn't want is allow new signings then have to replace Cotts.  I think he has to the home game v Brum at end of January.

Guest ashtonphil
1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I think it depends on whether he can stabilise results ahead of new signings (permies or loans).  In an ideal world, SL would want an upturn before letting a manager bring in new players.  What you wouldn't want is allow new signings then have to replace Cotts.  I think he has to the home game v Brum at end of January.

I think he has until 5pm on the 2nd Jan myself....

If his time isn't up already

Guest ashtonphil
3 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

His position is untenable as soon as we are adrift. More than 3 points from safety and I could begin to see the end. 

A reasonable stand point - however my thoughts have always been.

Does Lansdown trust him with his money? - if yes (and that's his decision entirely!) then back him totally and unequivicably; if he doesn't then get in someone that can change it around and get in the players we need to stay in this division

I think if we had brought in the players he / the club wanted and we were where we are now, then this could well have been his last game as it would look like he couldn't do it. But the team is largely unchanged and even smaller so as it stands he's on the back foot anyhow. The tricky bit now is as others have said what if we buy in but for whatever reason it just doesn't work. We go down, we have disgruntled players, the manager may then get the sack and we start off in league one having to rebuild again on the back foot. Personally I would prefer him to be backed and take faith that with the new additions we turn it round. This has to be dome pretty quickly though as the games coming up in January are looking tough (as they all are really) and leaving it too long may see us seriously cut adrift. We were meant to be pretty close to getting a striker on deadline day. Was it the guy at Bournemouth but some other deal broke down so it blocked that one? Wonder if that one can be resurrected as that was one of the first choice ones so it'd be interesting to see if that came off and how he'd do. Some of the other ones rumoured recently like Moxey, are they likely to let him go immediately or wait until right at the end of January, same with Matt Smith at Fulham.

Archived