IGNORED

How many players do we need?

AdenFlintIsHavingAParty

26 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Pretty sure (someone will know) it is now a higher figure than 8.

Read something on here that we have already had our maximum aged over 24 players on loan, can anyone confirm if that is the case?

There`s a lot of stuff on another thread about what we`ve had/can have, most of it conflicting as far as I can see (the rules, not the posters!)

5 hours ago, djb6162 said:

He's definately fit, and i have no evidence to suggest he has the wrong attitude.

Calum's problem is that in the "playing in the hole role"  his favoured position,we have two players ahead of him in SC opinion LF and BR.

out wide and left, his second favoured position we have two players ahead of him DW and JB, although i have to say that watching him play, no way is Calum a LWB. Thats not what he was hoping for when he came on loan

as for playing wide right, well arguably we now have 3 players whom SC sees as ahead of him

ML EB and WB.

i genuinely think that SC thought he would be a stronger option than WB when he took him, but subsequntky he signed EB and Wes has done better both in the early season game time and in the u21s than Callum

he simply couldnt put Callum ahead of wes in the squad on performances and merit.

so Callum has been left high and dry.

if we adopted a 4-4-2 i think Callum would have seem more action,as would wes of course, but we have had one dabble with that system and we know what happened.

it was ironic for me that the day we chose to play that way we left 3 genuine wide players out of the squad completely

CR, WB and SW.

we played it with 5 central defenders on the pitch, and now i guess having failed we will abandon it and Callum

He plays his best football wide left of a front 3 but can cross with either foot.

Complete lack of dudilligence especially when you consider the formation we play, pre season bollox.

4 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That is true, it was more based on location and the fact Walsall are doing well! What about Wes, reckon he will get more minutes or is a loan a possibility? Appreciate you may not be able to say much about this though.

As you have indicated its not fair on wes or the club for me to speculate in detail over his future.

He is a strong positive lad who has a good degree of patience albeit it's been tested to its limits lately 

I can tell you that he desperately wants to stay in Bristol

Wes has multiple and significant options to play football elsewhere but to be fair to SC he has been very firm in resisting those approaches to date.

However it's obvious to everyone that wes has to play more either at BC or if not then elsewhere, even the gaffa has said that some weeks ago.

I guess the type of business SC does over the next few weeks will determine where wes' future may be . 

he desperately wants to go to the Euros and the Welsh management have indicated that if he is playing reasonably regularly, that this is a real possibility.

2 hours ago, djb6162 said:

As you have indicated its not fair on wes or the club for me to speculate in detail over his future.

He is a strong positive lad who has a good degree of patience albeit it's been tested to its limits lately 

Wes has multiple and significant options to play football elsewhere but to be fair to SC he has been very firm in resisting those approaches to date.

However it's obvious to everyone that wes has to play more either at BC or if not then elsewhere, even the gaffa has said that some weeks ago.

I guess the type of business SC does over the next few weeks will determine where wes' future may be . 

he desperately wants to go to the Euros and the Welsh management have indicated that if he is playing reasonably regularly, that this is a real possibility.

I hope your son gets a chance to play for us soon. He's clearly got potential, fingers crossed Mr.Burns

3 hours ago, djb6162 said:

Thanks again for that insight, was more than I was expecting! Would be great to see Wes at the euros and for an academy product to be playing in the first team. Hope he gets a run until the end of the season but if not, he gets a good loan and games so he can get in that Wales squad.

I feel sorry for a number of players in our squad who seem to have been sacrificed by Cotterill on the altar of "keep a settled side & formation & the results will come". The results haven't come & it hasn't worked. I include Wes & Callum Robinson in that.

The squad may be small but Cotterill changed personnel around more in a winning team last season than he has in a losing team this season which goes against all sporting logic. In the meantime some players have shown that they cannot perform at this level week in & week out, whilst others have languished on the bench never likely to get on before the 90th minute & watching their careers go into reverse. I find it hard to believe that all of the players in the squad are happy with their situation. They must be able to see what we can see while Cotterill does the footballing equivalent of King Canute!!

On 29 December 2015 at 22:45, bs3 said:

At least three quality championship players which we should have brought in the summer. 

From mid April it was certain that we was going to a championship club and our failure to recruit in the close season is up with any mismanagerment we have seen in this club history.

The summer was nothing short of a disgrace!!

58 minutes ago, 'keepuplino' said:

The summer was nothing short of a disgrace!!

It wasn't great but it wasn't a disgrace.

Forget player performances, and look at the signings we made, whether permie or loan.  I don't think we were ever going to go mad with lots of permie signings, as Cotts thought the promotion squad had enough about them with a couple of additions.

Kodjia

Fredericks

then loans:

Robinson

Hamer

Moore

Baker

the last two coming in a couple of weeks into the season.

On paper, most of us thought that was decent, with the exception of a central midfielder (or 2).

i don't call that a disgrace.

So things haven't worked out for all of them.  Hindsight is a wonderful thing.  We corrected the Fredericks issue by bringing in Bennett.

God knows what has happened to Cox, but again most of us thought it was a good loan on paper.

The only area the club didn't get right was midfield.

Now, it will be disgrace if we don't address the midfield in this winter.  That is there for all to see.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

It wasn't great but it wasn't a disgrace.

Forget player performances, and look at the signings we made, whether permie or loan.  I don't think we were ever going to go mad with lots of permie signings, as Cotts thought the promotion squad had enough about them with a couple of additions.

Kodjia

Fredericks

then loans:

Robinson

Hamer

Moore

Baker

the last two coming in a couple of weeks into the season.

On paper, most of us thought that was decent, with the exception of a central midfielder (or 2).

i don't call that a disgrace.

So things haven't worked out for all of them.  Hindsight is a wonderful thing.  We corrected the Fredericks issue by bringing in Bennett.

God knows what has happened to Cox, but again most of us thought it was a good loan on paper.

The only area the club didn't get right was midfield.

Now, it will be disgrace if we don't address the midfield in this winter.  That is there for all to see.

I think the disgraceful part I'm implying was due to how late we did our business, we had only signed Kodja by our first game and then went 5-6 games with a squad that was already smaller than last season.. Business clearly should have been done so much earlier to give our squad time to bed in, instead we made panick loan signings 5-6 games in... To me that was poor given the momentum we had built up..

Archived