Jump to content
IGNORED

Louis Thompson


Bantry Banter

Recommended Posts

I know nothing about him, or if he'd be a good addition for us, but Norwich must be impressed at the amount of game time that Bennett has had here. That would surely stand us in with a good chance, IF we were to make an approach for him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, steveg said:

Look he's a swindon lad and has a brother in the Swindon team? Would you join city ? Think there are bigger and better fish to look at. 

Dunno - he is with a Premiership club and can't get into the first team - given the chance to help a Championship team avoid relegation, he might be tempted.

Surely all footballers don't subscribe to the "hate the local rivals" mantra - after all, it's their livelihood at stake.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Bantry Banter said:

Dunno - he is with a Premiership club and can't get into the first team - given the chance to help a Championship team avoid relegation, he might be tempted.

Surely all footballers don't subscribe to the "hate the local rivals" mantra - after all, it's their livelihood at stake.

Do you know any footballers who would subscribe to a relegation scrap? I think they are few.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Think we need a more experienced midfielder than him, plus we need to improve on what we currently have and he's not as good as either Smith or Pack, IMO.

Who would be your choice? Mine would be Steve Sidwell, apparently going to leave Stoke this window. Would be a fair bit of competition for him but if we can pull it off and somehow negotiate realistic wages/a loan deal he'd be my choice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, steveg said:

Do you know any footballers who would subscribe to a relegation scrap? I think they are few.

In a higher division, playing with superior players in front of bigger crowds, in better stadiums, in higher profile fixtures?

Plenty would. You could even argue that it's more interesting for a loan player to go to a club with something to fight for, rather than a side destined for mid table obscurity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

In a higher division, playing with superior players in front of bigger crowds, in better stadiums, in higher profile fixtures?

Plenty would. You could even argue that it's more interesting for a loan player to go to a club with something to fight for, rather than a side destined for mid table obscurity.

Certainly if I was a manager wanting my players to get experience of high pressure football then them going somewhere where there is something to fight for, at either end of the table, would indeed be preferable to mid table obscurity as you're going to learn a lot more about a player in those situations. Depends on the manager though I guess. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, lenred said:

Certainly if I was a manager wanting my players to get experience of high pressure football then them going somewhere where there is something to fight for, at either end of the table, would indeed be preferable to mid table obscurity as you're going to learn a lot more about a player in those situations. Depends on the manager though I guess. 

Indeed. It's also a nonsense to suggest that professional sportsmen - competitive by nature - would only want to join a team bimbling along nicely in mid table. Especially if it's a loan and there are no consequences for your career should relegation occur.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Indeed. It's also a nonsense to suggest that professional sportsmen - competitive by nature - would only want to join a team bimbling along nicely in mid table. Especially if it's a loan and there are no consequences for your career should relegation occur.

Players that would embrace the situation are exactly the kind of players we need IMO. We just need to find realistic options who will come here. Got to be out there though. Let's hope the homework has been done

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin
2 hours ago, Aipearcey said:

Were you at Swindon away last season? 

Assume that you remember a certain player called Peter Beadle !?!?!

His history was worse, and he came and did a job for us.

Look at this way, he is a Swindon lad, Norwich want him to join a championship club - who is the nearest that would take him on? us or Reading?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Indeed. It's also a nonsense to suggest that professional sportsmen - competitive by nature - would only want to join a team bimbling along nicely in mid table. Especially if it's a loan and there are no consequences for your career should relegation occur.

Let's just say I disagree with you?!

£££&$$$

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Who would be your choice? Mine would be Steve Sidwell, apparently going to leave Stoke this window. Would be a fair bit of competition for him but if we can pull it off and somehow negotiate realistic wages/a loan deal he'd be my choice.

Seems an ideal candidate.

I like Diagouraga of Brentford, wouldn't help our goal tally but would make us harder to score against, experienced Championship player and French, too..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Seems an ideal candidate.

I like Diagouraga of Brentford, wouldn't help our goal tally but would make us harder to score against, experienced Championship player and French, too..

I like him, good suggestion hadn't thought of him. Brentford will sell if we match their asking price too due to their model.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...