IGNORED

Wade Elliot - caretaker?

old_eastender

I've been in the camp thinking we need to stick with Cotts and back him in the Jan Window. If we were going to sack him, then it needed to have been early Dec to give a new manager from outside chance to evaluate the squad then strengthen as necessary in Jan Window. The last few results, impacted in my view by Cotts continued dumb stubbornness to make use of tactical substitutions, have let me wondering if it's wise to stick with him.

One option might be to make Wade Elliot caretaker manager, a gamble but he would certainly have the respect of the other players, is known in the game as a consummate pro so should not put off potential new signings and must already know where our weaknesses lay... no doubt this will get rubbished, but putting it out there anyway. Desperate times call for some sort of action.

6 minutes ago, cynic said:

IF SC were to be sacked then I'd have no doubts that Elliott would be asked to take over first team duties.

He's a very intelligent lad and has the respect of the players.

Met him and his Mrs. recently and he's very grounded (his mrs is a lovely girl) and they are renovating and settling into a newly bought house in Southville bang in the heartlands with their first child. 

He's here long term.

Wouldn't his right hand man, Pembo, we given first dibs?

I hope Cotts stays, and also takes us to safety.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Wouldn't his right hand man, Pembo, we given first dibs?

I hope Cotts stays, and also takes us to safety.

Elliott may well be here long term but if we do sack Cotterill then both John Pemberton or even Paul Groves are more likely to be caretaker both having managed before.

Top shout suggesting Wade.

Better professional pedigree than Pembo by a long way; almost 700 appearances with over half at Championship level and one full season in the PREM.

Scored this wonder goal for Burnley in 09 Play off final:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWokwQzsAFw  

No experience admittedly but seems a sound character on media interviews and whilst not with Joe Jordan's top drawer pedigree that didn't stop City letting the Big Man take the top job with no previous managerial experience.

Can't understand why he wasn't offered a playing contract this year with his experience and no summer signings

33 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Top shout suggesting Wade.

Better professional pedigree than Pembo by a long way; almost 700 appearances with over half at Championship level and one full season in the PREM.

Scored this wonder goal for Burnley in 09 Play off final:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWokwQzsAFw  

No experience admittedly but seems a sound character on media interviews and whilst not with Joe Jordan's top drawer pedigree that didn't stop City letting the Big Man take the top job with no previous managerial experience.

Can't understand why he wasn't offered a playing contract this year with his experience and no summer signings

I'm not favouring either, just that the Asst Manager normally gets first dibs.

As for Pembo...he might not have played 700 games, but he played 300+ and a lot more than Wade at top level, including a cup final.

I think Wade will be a manager at some point though.

People are entitled to their views but this short termism is utter madness. No chance SC will be sacked unless he loses the dressing room. He aint gonna lose them as they are fully behind him and so are the board. SC is actually taking the stick for decisions made by others. I have said it before but what are Bristol Sport and the Board doing? Some perspective is needed - we are level on points and a single point from being safe. If we finish one point outside the relegation zone we will have had a successful season. We are not cut adrift at the bottom. We could be if we don't use this transfer window wisely.  

There are plenty of games left. We just need to get points at home and players in quickly. TBH though, what did BCFC fans really expect of the season? The division is tough and most teams have recent premiership experience and premiership quality players. Bottom line is that the teams who are struggling don't. Bolton are paying for over indulging when they were in the premier league and no longer have the funds to complete once parachute monies ran out. Rotherham, Charlton, MK Dons and Huddersfield, don't have the monies to keep progressing. Historically, BCFC don't spend lots of money either, despite what is said and dont have the resources to sustain a spending spree. SL will put in only so much. What is bizarre is that bids for Gray and Gayle were totally out of keeping with what the club have done previously. My view is that they were "show bids" and those players were never coming to City. I wonder if they were even sanctioned by SC. I suspect not as they are not in keeping with the players he has gone for. 

All that said, I will be very interested to see how we use this transfer window. Our presence in the league will depend on bringing in at least 3 championship quality players, including a goal keeper.  COYR! 

Having respect from the players is totally irrelevant when it comes to appointing a caretaker manager. There are a few ex players who have  respect from everyone, but that doesn't mean they  would be a good a manager. What is required in the current situation, should Cotts go, is an experienced manager who could sort things out from day one. Not someone who is learning on the job - i e. Elliot. By the time he gets the hang of it we could be playing that lot from Horfield. 

Archived