IGNORED

Defeat at Rotherham Where Reality Bit

Fat Cigar

For me, this has been the key result so far. Until then, the bulk of our games had been against teams in the top half of the table. This was supposed to be the start of a run of 'winnable' games. To get resoundly beaten by fellow relegation strugglers was hugely damaging, more psychologically than anything. I imagine we all felt, if we can't beat this lot, then we're really nowhere near the team we think we are. To have only beaten Huddersfield away (itself a good result) amongst the five teams in the mini relegation league around us will prove to be fatal, in my opinion. Until then, I still harboured hopes of a mid-table finish. Even a 14th or 15th placed finish. My prediction in the summer was 10th.

Even though that defeat was now 8 games ago, I think its effect has been more bruising than any other game. Even the draws that should have been wins. In the latter category we can put: Preston (A), Cardiff (A), Bolton (A) and Charlton (H). 8 dropped points. We should have won all of those matches.

I know some people think we've been unlucky this season. I don't. Unlucky almost implies events outside our control, like a bad refereeing decision or injury to a key player. We've not been clinical or ruthless all season. Our finishing is woeful. It's dire. Kodjia has been described as a raw diamond. Certainly more raw than diamond. Without his goals we'd be bottom, no doubt. But, his misses  (and there have been well over 20 clear misses, many at critical periods in a match) have also cost us dearly.

It may sound harsh to criticise a guy in his first year in England, and I don't want to be overly critical, but he has driven me slightly mad. He's not an intelligent player. By that I mean he doesn't take time to compose himself and think ahead. He runs at players, rarely looks up and lets rip. His finishing is (to put it bluntly) wild. But, I'm not sure he was ever meant to be our main striker, or to have played as many games as he has. 

Freeman is another one whose play lacks intelligence or subtlety. He's been unable to adapt his play from last season. Runs and runs and runs, tries to go past everyone, rarely succeeding. He's like a headless chicken.

Blame for this season lies (in order) with: the Board, Cotterill and the players, all of whom have been dangerously exposed to be way out of their depth at this level. Cotterill can't do much if his players aren't good enough. But, he can give others a chance. I feel for Reid, Burns and of course Cox. His use of subs is embarrassingly inept. To save changes for the final few minutes in almost every game is a sign of a clueless manager.

I thought Bryan had his best game of a difficult season against Charlton. There were glimpses of the Joe Bryan from last season.  So what does our manager do? Drop him to the bench for the Burnley game. It's the same players, the same tactics, and the same formation every game. Then Cotterill changes formation for Derby away, which was always going to be showed up once they inevitably scored. We're not good enough to play for a draw.

So many matches have followed a similar pattern: a bright and encouraging opening 20mins or so, 2 or 3 good chances missed, opposition score with their first meaningful attack. Unless we score in the first half, we suffer. Our first half performances have been better than our second halves in almost every game. The first half v Forest was our best 45mins of the season. Which shows you that Cotterill is clearly able to get the players motivated beforehand, but that morale is fragile.

Transfer targets must be realistic. Good players from League 1 sides in the top 6 won't come. Why go to a Championship side only to risk ending up back in League 1 a few months later? We have to hope and pray there are some gems in League 2 and Non-League. Either way, you can't expect those players to make that step up immediately. And that's what we need. We can't afford for them to take 10 games to bed in.

There's not much else to add that hasn't been said on here dozens of times before. I'd like to think this season will be a wake-up call to the board, but I won't be holding my breath.

I don't believe you sack a manager at the first sign of trouble (although most clubs would have sacked Cotterill several games ago), but ask yourself this: can you honestly see this team, playing with this formation, under this manager, surviving? Will it all finally click, like a bolt out of the blue? I'm sorry but I don't think it will. Cotterill has to go because he's shown himself unable and unwilling to change things. Yes, the players aren't good enough but we can't sack them all.

It goes without saying that I hope to god I'm wrong, but I've seen us enough this season (14 times) to recognise a team simply out of their depth. The board more than anyone else though should be ashamed of themselves. They've raised expectations over the years, talked a good game, but haven't followed this through. Biggest month of the club's recent history is upon us. Surprise us.

Archived