IGNORED

Depressing Comparison

Welcome To The Jungle

24 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

I fear that maybe up to eleven of them could start for us based in their ability in 2013. 

I'll let you off because everyone's entitled to be a drama queen now and again, but go on, pick eleven. Or anywhere near eleven for that matter. 

9 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I'll let you off because everyone's entitled to be a drama queen now and again, but go on, pick eleven. Or anywhere near eleven for that matter. 

I said up to as there are a few maybes but:

Heaton and Gerken have proved to be good championship goalkeepers and the former was good in the Premier League too.

Our team also lacks decent full backs (not wing backs) to play in a back four. And in a back four certainly Cunningham and maybe Maloney who we raved about in 2013 before relegation.

Skuse- Need I say more. Calm and composed ball winner who was so underated in his time here.

Anderson-Some creativity, again a maybe.

Adomah...

And I'd quite happily say that Stead, Davies, Baldock and Taylor would all play ahead of Wilbraham. The latter being imo, very underrated but I appreciate is probably the biggest maybe for most. 

41 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Casting my eye over the squad we were relegated with back in 2013 it is depressing how many players would easily get into our team. I fear that maybe up to eleven of them could start for us based in their ability in 2013. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012%E2%80%9313_Bristol_City_F.C._season#Squad

You've ruined my Sunday. There are some improvements with the current squad, but collectively, we're no better. More wasted opportunities. 

11 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

I said up to as there are a few maybes but:

Heaton and Gerken have proved to be good championship goalkeepers and the former was good in the Premier League too.

Our team also lacks decent full backs (not wing backs) to play in a back four. And in a back four certainly Cunningham and maybe Maloney who we raved about in 2013 before relegation.

Skuse- Need I say more. Calm and composed ball winner who was so underated in his time here.

Anderson-Some creativity, again a maybe.

Adomah...

And I'd quite happily say that Stead, Davies, Baldock and Taylor would all play ahead of Wilbraham. The latter being imo, very underrated but I appreciate is probably the biggest maybe for most. 

Heaton I'll give you. Because of what we know now. Gerken, you'll never convince me he was any good.

Cunningham couldn't get in the team last season. And Moloney was crap. 

Skuse I'll give you. Skuse and Smith would be exactly what we need right now. 

Adomah needs no explanation.

Anderson, never really set the world alight for us, but a maybe.

The Stead of back then, yes. The Stead of now, no. Davies of then, maybe, Davies of now, no.  Baldock definitely. Taylor, no. 

So of the definites; Heaton, Skuse, Adomah, Baldock, we had no choice over keeping them. We lost them all because of relegation.

But let's not lose sight of the fact that although there were some very good players in that squad (by our standards), there was a spectacular amount of shit. Some of the names make me shudder.

Thank God we aren't gonna need 55 points to survive this season as was the case then.

I'd take Heaton, Cunningham, Skuse, Adomah and Baldock from that squad but only 3 would get in the team. 

Gerken, an aging Carey, League 2 Maloney, League 1 Anderson and all others would get nowhere near our current players.

15 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Heaton I'll give you. Because of what we know now. Gerken, you'll never convince me he was any good.

Cunningham couldn't get in the team last season. And Moloney was crap. 

Skuse I'll give you. Skuse and Smith would be exactly what we need right now. 

Adomah needs no explanation.

Anderson, never really set the world alight for us, but a maybe.

The Stead of back then, yes. The Stead of now, no. Davies of then, maybe, Davies of now, no.  Baldock definitely. Taylor, no. 

So of the definites; Heaton, Skuse, Adomah, Baldock, we had no choice over keeping them. We lost them all because of relegation.

But let's not lose sight of the fact that although there were some very good players in that squad (by our standards), there was a spectacular amount of shit. Some of the names make me shudder.

The point was not so much should we have kept them, but rather that we had these players and still went down so what do we have to do this season? 

Just now, Welcome To The Jungle said:

The point was not so much should we have kept them, but rather that we had these players and still went down so what do we have to do this season? 

We do have better players across the board here now though.  It's not so much about the good, it's about the dross. 

Smith is as good as Skuse (in my opinion), Kodjia is as good as Baldock (possibly better), our centre halves are better now. Freeman has the potential to be better. 

All is not lost this season. I genuinely think we're stronger than any of the relegation seasons. 

Stead is such a myth with some of our supporters, one good game then four poor ones.

Lovely bloke but he is hugely overrated; by the way, Wilbraham is 36 for God's sake, no-one should realistically expect him to play 90 minutes week after week like we stupidly do.

9 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Stead is such a myth with some of our supporters, one good game then four poor ones.

Lovely bloke but he is hugely overrated; by the way, Wilbraham is 36 for God's sake, no-one should realistically expect him to play 90 minutes week after week like we stupidly do.

only one person i can think of who would be stupid enough to try to play Wilbraham week in week out despite his age, the manager!

How many of that previous team are now ahead of us in league positions with their new club..? 

Without looking it up I'd say ..

Heaton, Skuse, Killkenny, Adomah, was Bolasie with us at the start of that season?, Cunningham, any others..? 

1 hour ago, OddBallJim said:

Amazed people still can't take it that Gerken is actually good keeper after all. :laugh:

Still, its always easier to look back on players we would like in the team when we are not doing so well. Guarantee you no one would have been saying they'd like a Stead/Davies of 2013 up front for us last season, or a Skuse in midfield.

Why not Davies? He scored 13 that season

8 hours ago, Cider red said:

I think the two squads are on a par, Baker is similar to Bikey, pack to skuse, a decent striker midfielder and cb and our squad now is stronger Imo. We just need to utilise it better, which cotts clearly isn't doing now!

agree with most of that..but pack is not in the same league as skuse. In my opinion

Archived