IGNORED

Oddest managerial decisions at City

Londoner

With all this talk of Cotts tactics i was thinking of some of the strangest decisions made by a City manager...whether tactical, positional or player:

For me one of the ones that stands out the most is actually Martyn Woolford!! Remember being pretty poor for a year (not helped by being played in front of the awful Ryan Mcgivern.

then suddenly Greg Cunningham turned up, Woolford scored against Palace, then a double against Cardiff.....only for Mcinness to drop him and hardly seen again!

how could a manager drop someone after scoring 3 goals in 2 games and ultimately helping destroy two teams that got into the prem!!! Not sense whatsoever!!!

Another one involving Mciness was away to millwall, when we played 352 and the whole team looked completely lost!! So much so he made two subs before half time!!

anyone tell stories where they just couldn't believe/understand some managerial decisions?!

6 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

Ricky Foster. Centre midfield.

But was it really centre midfield?

I remember one game (Peterborough, I think) where the genius that was McInnes had Foster man marking someone so he was wandering all over the pitch following the bloke. 

Stick to beating Partick Thistle, Derek.

At the time Alan Dicks signing John Galley with his leg in plaster. Ironically we were in the same boat as now needing a striker immediately to start scoring goals. The good thing was when he did play he scored for fun and helped us avoid  relegation. 

33 minutes ago, Londoner said:

With all this talk of Cotts tactics i was thinking of some of the strangest decisions made by a City manager...whether tactical, positional or player:

For me one of the ones that stands out the most is actually Martyn Woolford!! Remember being pretty poor for a year (not helped by being played in front of the awful Ryan Mcgivern.

then suddenly Greg Cunningham turned up, Woolford scored against Palace, then a double against Cardiff.....only for Mcinness to drop him and hardly seen again!

how could a manager drop someone after scoring 3 goals in 2 games and ultimately helping destroy two teams that got into the prem!!! Not sense whatsoever!!!

Another one involving Mciness was away to millwall, when we played 352 and the whole team looked completely lost!! So much so he made two subs before half time!!

anyone tell stories where they just couldn't believe/understand some managerial decisions?!

You've imagined that about Woolford. Started the following 5 games...

42 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

But was it really centre midfield?

I remember one game (Peterborough, I think) where the genius that was McInnes had Foster man marking someone so he was wandering all over the pitch following the bloke. 

Stick to beating Partick Thistle, Derek.

No need to have a pop at the mighty Jags! What have the Maryhill Magyars done to be drawn into this?!

48 minutes ago, Spoons said:

tony pullis signing all of the chesterfield team after there good cup run... Except keven Davies the one who really would have made the difference!! Billy mercer, Shaun dyche and Paul Holland. Must have played no more than 100 games between them!

To be fair, both Holland and Mercer picked up career ending injuries whilst with us. Mercer was a really good keeper.

1 minute ago, Gazred said:

To be fair, both Holland and Mercer picked up career ending injuries whilst with us. Mercer was a really good keeper.

mercer yes! Holland and dyhce awful!! And it was more they way he did it , they look good on telly were sign them!! But I am bias as I'm not a pullis fan.

4 minutes ago, Spoons said:

mercer yes! Holland and dyhce awful!! And it was more they way he did it , they look good on telly were sign them!! But I am bias as I'm not a pullis fan.

Yeh, not too many of those around here!

That first game against 'Boro was an absolute cup classic.

Whilst Alan Dicks was a good manager, his decision to give players long contracts - e g 10 years for Clive Whitehead - was sheer lunacy.  To be fair, the board have to take some of the blame for agreeing 

I have a vague memory of John Ward playing Gary Owers as a wing back in one game. I think it was early in the 1997-1998 promotion season. Owers was a fairly decent midfielder, but a pacey wing back he definitely wasn't. 

Junior Bent being played as a target man has already been mentioned and was a sight to behold.

Archived