IGNORED

WBA game a chance to try a new formation

Super Scotty Murray

I really think that 25 games into the season and being in the relegation zone Cotterill has to admit that 3-5-2 does not work in the Championship - at least not with our current set of players.

What with Bennett leaving as well, this gives us a prime opportunity to give a 4-5-1 / 4-2-3-1 a go against WBA and see if we can then use that formation in the league. We will have had two weeks to work on it with Saturday being like a test run.

Personally I think we could go for something like this (with the players who I believe are fit):

Fielding

Little   Ayling  Flint   Bryan

Pack Smith

Agard    Reid   Freeman

Kodjia

Subs: 1 O'Leary, 2 Baker (inj), 3 Williams (inj), 4 Wagstaff (inj), 5 Burns, 6 Wilbs, 7 Robinson/Cox/Moore??? ... basically 3 subs, 3 injured players and then a choice of three loan players as I have no idea if they are either still with us or are cup tied?!!!

Agard & Freeman have played in a wide position before so would not be out of position IMO. I believe Kodjia has played up front on his own in the past so it would be worth a try. I don't think we have much to lose!

I am assuming Baker is injured. If Baker is fit I would bring him in for Little and put Ayling to right back. If Agard is not fit enough to start then we could start Burns with Agard to come off the bench.

9 minutes ago, phantom said:

Sadly your first sentance is all you needed to write - things aren't going to change mid season

You may well be right based on the fact Cotterill gives the word stubborn a new meaning. The board has clearly messed up with regards to signing players but the tactics we have gone with are 100% Cotterill's fault. It is easy to blame the board in our current situation but I still believe with the players we have we should have been good enough to be higher in the league than we are. 

We changed against Derby and that worked wonders...

SC is manager. It won't change. We will start at least 9 of our 11 usual starters. Our bench won't be filled with youngsters. Every match is about a new formation. It isn't happening under current management. It doesn't matter what the situation is, it is staying the SAME!

9 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

We changed against Derby and that worked wonders...

SC is manager. It won't change. We will start at least 9 of our 11 usual starters. Our bench won't be filled with youngsters. Every match is about a new formation. It isn't happening under current management. It doesn't matter what the situation is, it is staying the SAME!

Firstly any formation needs to be tested and tried in training.  It's outright silly to say changes won't work due to Derby.  All that says is that ad-hoc untested formations won't work unless sufficient time is spent on the training pitch. 

Secondly the reason why every match is about a new formation is because we're either losing, escaping with draws or throwing away leads late on.  It's logical to look at what's to blame.

Thirdly, Whether or not Cotts sticks with 3-5-2 in the league,  if there's no Williams or Baker on Saturday and El-Abd is cup-tied, I can't see how we can do anything other than switch to 4 at the back for the simple reason we won't have 3 centre-backs!  If there's any risk of either of the two exacerbating their injuries, I'd go with the line-up the OP suggests.

Just now, LondonBristolian said:

Firstly any formation needs to be tested and tried in training.  It's outright silly to say changes won't work due to Derby.  All that says is that ad-hoc untested formations won't work unless sufficient time is spent on the training pitch. 

Secondly the reason why every match is about a new formation is because we're either losing, escaping with draws or throwing away leads late on.  It's logical to look at what's to blame.

Thirdly, Whether or not Cotts sticks with 3-5-2 in the league,  if there's no Williams or Baker on Saturday and El-Abd is cup-tied, I can't see how we can do anything other than switch to 4 at the back for the simple reason we won't have 3 centre-backs!  If there's any risk of either of the two exacerbating their injuries, I'd go with the line-up the OP suggests.

It's all good and well what you would go with but you aren't the manager and neither am I. You state formation needs to be tried and tested in training and I can guarantee we trained 3-5-2/5-3-2 whatever you want to call it and 1 week of training in a different formation after 18+ months in another isn't evough time either. Our lineup Saturday will look very league 1. Fielding, Little, Ayling, Flint, Williams(if no risks on Baker), Bryan, Smith, Pack, Freeman, Kodjia, Wilbs/Agard in the 5-3-2. I have no reason to expect otherwise and the club doesn't talk about injuries so it's all a guess but it hasn't changed in a year and a half and it won't on Saturday. 

Archived