IGNORED

Possible 4-2-3-1 lineup for City?

Lympsham Red

Just a bit of fun here, really, but what would you lads think of a Bristol City 4-2-3-1 lineup like this? The 4-2-3-1 formation is quite big in the Championship and Premier League right now, so maybe it'd work well for us.

GK: Frank Fielding (obvious choice, really)

RB: Luke Ayling (his natural position)

CB: Aden Flint (pretty solid in this position)

CB: Nathan Baker (also rather good)

LB: Joe Bryan (more of a wing-back, but really one of our few viable options for this position)

CDM: Marlon Pack (would probably suit a more defensive role?)

CM: Korey Smith (rather good in midfield)

LW: Luke Freeman (also his natural position)

CAM: Bobby Reid (young with lots of passion)

RW: Scott Wagstaff (not much choice here, would also like to see him given a shot in his natural position)

STC: Jonathan Kodjia (could be used interchangeably with Wilbs and Agard).

Personally, I feel this formation would suit us much better than 3-5-2. Not using wingers in a formation in this day and age is, in my opinion, pretty outdated, and there's a reason why no top Premiership clubs use 3-5-2. Also, signing natural wingers and getting them to play wing-back isn't the best way forward, in my opinion. I'd rather have a traditional back four.

Thoughts?

8 minutes ago, Lympsham Red said:

Just a bit of fun here, really, but what would you lads think of a Bristol City 4-2-3-1 lineup like this? The 4-2-3-1 formation is quite big in the Championship and Premier League right now, so maybe it'd work well for us.

LB: Joe Bryan (more of a wing-back, but really one of our few viable options for this position)

RW: Scott Wagstaff (not much choice here, would also like to see him given a shot in his natural position)

Personally, I feel this formation would suit us much better than 3-5-2. Not using wingers in a formation in this day and age is, in my opinion, pretty outdated, and there's a reason why no top Premiership clubs use 3-5-2. Also, signing natural wingers and getting them to play wing-back isn't the best way forward, in my opinion. I'd rather have a traditional back four.

Thoughts?

Agard can play the right wing role as well. This is where he played the majority of the season when he scored all of those goals for Rotherham. And Derrick Williams can also play left back?

2 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Agard can play the right wing role as well. This is where he played the majority of the season when he scored all of those goals for Rotherham. And Derrick Williams can also play left back?

Thought Agard could also play RW, although was not sure. Probably would be a better option there instead of Wagstaff, although it'd be nice to see him start once or twice at least. Can't Wes Burns also play there, too?

2 minutes ago, Lympsham Red said:

Thought Agard could also play RW, although was not sure. Probably would be a better option there instead of Wagstaff, although it'd be nice to see him start once or twice at least. Can't Wes Burns also play there, too?

Indeed Wes can, but SC in my opinion doesn't "trust" the younger players which is a real shame imo.

6 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Indeed Wes can, but SC in my opinion doesn't "trust" the younger players which is a real shame imo.

Indeed it is, especially since this formation seems to give us more proper decent cover in multiple positions compared to 3-5-2, which is impressive given our minuscule squad size! 

I think it could easily work. Just can't see it happening under current management. Think we actually have the players for it and would only need cover for the CM.  Little/Ayling-RB Ayling/Flint/Baker/Williams/El-Abd- CB Williams/Bryan- LB. LM- Freeman/Bryan. RM- Agard/Burns/Wagstaff ST- Kodjia/Wilbs/Agard

So many options even with our limited squad. Even Kodjia out on a wing is an option. Robinson and Bennett would have been great wing options as well. They're gone though and SC won't change. It's a shame as I think this would make us defensively sound and hoping Kodjia Agard Freeman could get a goal or 2.

42 minutes ago, Lympsham Red said:

Thoughts?

Apart from the fact that SC will not change formation! Or give any under 21 players a seat on the bench.

Bobbie Reid may get some game time but Burns and others will not.

Kodjia was accustomed to being used as a lone striker at his previous club. When he arrived it was fair to say he benefited from being played alongside Wilbraham but he's been here 6 months and played in a number of Championship games so perhaps its time to give him a go up front on his own. I'd support him with Agard and Bryan with Freeman in the hole behind him and Ayling and Williams playing full-back.

It's beyond belief that cott's can't see we have the players here to play this system, with lots of options from the existing squad, even el abd could feature in a flat back 4.

wes burns would excel in the rw role imho. 

Something has to change, either the system or the manager.

1 minute ago, ThOmO said:

It's beyond belief that cotta can't see we have the players here to play this system, with lots of options from the existing squad, even el abd could feature in a flat back 4.

wes burns would excel in the rw role imho. 

Something has to change, either the system or the manager.

Ive been saying that for a while now and its got to the point where i can't see him changing system. I think he's going through the motions and has almost given up

On 06/01/2016 at 21:38, cidered abroad said:

Lympsham Red. Are you able to do private messages yet? If so or when able to, contact me. We may be near neighbours.

Lympsham Red. If you can do private messages contact me too. I would like to ask you what are you wearing.

4 hours ago, Chappers said:

Deckchairs, Titanic, shuffle

The captain of the titanic only saw disaster after it was to late. 

Had he set a different course and changed his route then may not have hit the iceberg.

therefore a change of direction could of saved them or a more experienced captain in negotiating these seas

It is difficult  to understand why a different formation has not been tried. It is obvious that 5 3 2 is not working at this level, not only is it too open but it also appears to be exhausting the players. If we are not careful we may at some time let in last minute goals. Let's hope it doesn't happen as it may cost us points.

Some may find this controversial, but it's a game of opinions and here is mine. Imo I feel that JK is more suit to a wide role so this would be my 4-2-3-1 team.

Fielding 

Ayling  flint    Baker   Williams 

Smith      Pack

Kodjia        Reid        Bryan 

Wilbraham 

With Reid and Freeman being interchangeable and wilbs being interchangeable with agard and kodjia playing as the lone striker and agard playing wide right.  

Archived