IGNORED

Wages a myth .

Major Isewater

Direct from Cott's Post interview ;

"At the end of the day, if I'm offering you a pound and somebody else is offering you ten pounds, you are not going to sign for me when you might have a mortgage to pay and a family to feed."

So Bennet signed for ten pounds a week but we only offered a pound  , no wonder we're struggling .

Read more: http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/BRISTOL-CITY-Finance-league-position-making-tough/story-28481224-detail/story.html#ixzz3we8ZqD3E 
Follow us: @BristolPost on Twitter | bristolpost on Facebook

Yet our fans expect Mr Lansdown to personally bank roll these overpaid average championship players without thinking that we would be under a transfer embargo next season. SL did this last time we were in this division and we ended up taking years to get rid of our overpaid deadwood. Had FFP been in place back then we'd be in league 2 now with Portsmouth. 

38 minutes ago, Redman91bcfc said:

Wage, League Position, Manager to name a few

I'm sure they each come in to the equation when presented with an alternative offer, but lets not ignore that clearly he seemed ready and willing to join us before that opportunity presented himself.

It'd be foolish for him to sign what I presume would be a 2.5 year contract or longer with us (and relocate his family permanently) without exploring what else he could get. I'm not sure there's really a stick to beat with there.

The truth is we aren't that attractive at the moment and we are going to have to accept players will review all of their options, as they should and as we should appreciate, expect and accept.

Given the attractiveness of Blackburn: reputation, good manager who got the best out of him before, secure status in the league it would seem, and some bloody nice places to live in the vicinity is it any wonder this one got away. I don't think incompetence (not that I want to put words in your mouth) prevented us getting this signing over the line.

I'm stuck between is SC telling the truth or is SC not wanting to admit the lad got a better offer - even if not necessarily financially, as Andre Gray did for instance.

However, a bit of spin, there is a good story here for us no? We've had plenty tell us how bad we've been in the loan market (and I wouldn't disagree), but on the flip side next time we want to loan a fringe player we can say 'Ah, but look, we took Elliot Bennett and after some good performances here we bid and one of our rivals bid and Norwich got a sale'.

Cox et al might not have worked but we aren't a bad place to send your players - Tavernier, Todd Kane, Matt Smith added to the list and you could make quite a good case.

38 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

I doubt they pay ten times more than us. "Mortgage to pay and a family to feed" comment is nothing but a joke. On his sallary he can feed ten familys at least.

Oh come on, of all things to criticise Cotterill for... "He's a greedy bastard as most footballers are" would that have enamoured himself to potential signings more?

4 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Direct from Cott's Post interview ;

"you are not going to sign for me when you might have a mortgage to pay and a family to feed."

Bloody fuming.

If the club had ever sorted the bloody food vouchers we might have kept more fans and more players.

Utter farce.

Archived