IGNORED

Cardiff v Shrewsbury

Phantom

7 minutes ago, Barry Sheene said:

A glimpse of the future. Cardiff vs Shrewsbury Town in league two in front of 4 thousand in an empty stadium!

When Cardiff were in the Fourth Div, they weren't getting 4000. Great crowd when things are going well, more than us probably; deserters when things are dismal, less than us. Rovers and Swansea more loyal than Cardiff too, in the lowest league. The stats are there for all to see. Can't argue with them.

18 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Now I hate Cardiff as much as the next man but let's not kid ourselves we would have had many more than say 6k for a rubbish game just after Xmas that's being played at 18.00 on a Sunday night!!!

But we did have more at the foot of the Fourth 30 odd years ago. No need to kid ourselves about that

38 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Great result Shrews! 

My second club after living there for twelve years in 1980/1990's.

Absolutely! My 10 year old lad was born there and it's his team so he's well made up! He's been to City games with me in the past but how ever hard I try I can't convert him.....although sometimes I can understand why! :-D

Just now, JustinCider said:

Absolutely! My 10 year old lad was born there and it's his team so he's well made up! He's been to City games with me in the past but how ever hard I try I can't convert him.....although sometimes I can understand why! :-D

Don`t try. It`s great that he supports them like that and hasn`t been sucked in by the prem. Fair play to him and it`s a great pity he`s almost certainly in a tiny minority of kids from there who actually support them.

1 minute ago, Red Right Hand said:

Don`t try. It`s great that he supports them like that and hasn`t been sucked in by the prem. Fair play to him and it`s a great pity he`s almost certainly in a tiny minority of kids from there who actually support them.

You're right Red. It's funny as he was only a baby really when he moved to a place between Burnley and Rochdale. When he started going to Primary school I was so worried he'd up a Manure or a Citeh fan but he's decided that Shrewsbury is his team, so good on him. I'm not out of the woods yet though as my daughter was born in Burnley! 

"A crowd of just 4,782 - marginally bigger than the stadium's record lowest football attendance of 4,194 - watched two much-changed sides toil on a muddy, deteriorating pitch, in a stadium that holds 33,280."

A muddy deteriorating pitch? Tan doesn't believe in the "Green, green grass of home" does he.

11 hours ago, swampy said:

It is on S4C and being played behind closed doors it would appear with the Shrews playing in the Argentina strip.  

Beautiful, just beautiful !!

10 hours ago, Stoke_Gifford_Red said:

I wonder how much Swansea and Cardiff get for being shown on Welsh TV? Less ticket sales aside, it's a guaranteed little earner for them it would seem.

Little being the operative word there; I am certain you are being sarcastic. :)

9 hours ago, Barry Sheene said:

A glimpse of the future. Cardiff vs Shrewsbury Town in league two in front of 4 thousand in an empty stadium!

A quite remarkable fall from, I was gonna say grace, temporary arrogant lofty perch.

6 hours ago, Stoke_Gifford_Red said:

There were more City fans at West Brom than the total attendance in Cardiff, which incidentally had the lowest home crowd of ANY game in the third round. 

It is quite remarkable aside from the biggest faux pas in the clubs history by flip floppin' on their colours. If I was a fan of theirs, god forbid the thought, I think i would have seriously considered defecting to Newport long ago. 

Here's a question for you all..

Would it be stretching it too much to suggest that Cardiff are another Darlington in waiting? 

When ever will they need a 33,000 stadium?

Let's be honest - if we drew Shrews at home next season with 27k seats, a Sunday 6pm kick-off and shown on local TV, it wouldn't look much different.

I don't know how much Cardiff were charging for that but it's exactly the sort of game you need to make £5-£10 each to have any hope of getting a decent crowd.

1 hour ago, cityloyal473 said:

Probably about the same time we need a 27,000 stadium.

Harsh, very harsh indeed.

48 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Let's be honest - if we drew Shrews at home next season with 27k seats, a Sunday 6pm kick-off and shown on local TV, it wouldn't look much different.

I don't know how much Cardiff were charging for that but it's exactly the sort of game you need to make £5-£10 each to have any hope of getting a decent crowd.

I cannot imagine City getting anything less than about 8-9k for such a fixture. I really can't.

4 minutes ago, City169 said:

Telford less attractive than Shrewsbury though (no offence to the Telford fan who posts on here).

Surely the most accurate comparison would be our attendance when we played Shrewsbury in 13/14 season

No, because that was a league game not on the telly and not at 6pm on a Sunday.

Telford is a better example of a game against much lower opposition in an early cup round, when everyone including STH has to pay. OK, Telford aren't as good as Shrewsbury, but if we only got 6.6k for that, how many would we have got for a televised game? TV would be a huge factor for an unattractive fixture; many people just won't bother. I know I wouldn't.

15 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Cardiff fans shouldn't be too disappointed. 

The stadium can always be used for car boots, conferences, wedding fairs and concerts if they don't wish to use it themselves. 

Think even then their options are a bit limited with the Mill Stad for big concerts and the Motorpoint Arena for smaller indoor ones looking more attractive than their ground.

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I don't buy that I'm afraid. We got 6.6k for a non-televised game on a Saturday afternoon against Telford last season!

I don't buy that I'm afraid. It was a Sunday (and we have more devout fans than Cardiff. See the stats)

Archived