IGNORED

Is Preston a 'Must Win' game?

Harry

The way I see it is this :

Home games remaining (11) : Preston (15), Middlesbro (1), Birmingham (8), Ipswich (6), Brighton (4), Cardiff (9), Bolton (24), Rotherham (21), Sheff Weds (7), Derby (2), Huddersfield (18).
Average League Position 10th.

Away games remaining (10) : Leeds (13), Charlton (23), MK (20), Forest (14), Wolves (11), Fulham (19), Hull (3), Brentford (10), Blackburn (17), QPR (16).
Average League Position 15th.

On paper, our home games are tougher than our away games (by 5 league placings on average – that’s a lot!)
We’ve got 7 of the top 9 to play at home (and 4 of the top 6)!
If we’re looking at, let’s say, 47 points to stay up, then we need another 26 at present.
If we fail beat Preston, Bolton, Rotherham & Huddersfield at home, then we leave ourselves a very tall order.  Even with 12 points against those 4 ‘easier’ home games, we’ll still need 14 more points.
None of those away games are easy, and 5 of them are at grounds we’ve historically not done very well at.  We might get a win and a few draws (maybe 7 points from those 10 aways?)
Still leaves us needing 7 more points in those 7 trickier home games.
So, any points dropped against those 4 weaker teams at home, and we are in trouble.

Of course, no game is a “must win” at this stage of the season, but failure to win v Preston tonight and we are up against it!

I'd hope we approach it as such. We've dropped too many points at home where we shouldn't have against those around us, MK Dons and Charlton particularly. I'm still very much so in the pro-SC camp but a failure to win tonight coupled with a sub-standard performance would really test that.

I think for you to estimate that we'll get 7 points from the 10 away games is a little low. If that happens then we will be in trouble and it puts a lot of pressure on the home results but I'd be aiming for considerably more than 7 from 10. 

The reality is that we need a little bit of a reverse in fortunes in the second half of the season. That and some new players. And we know that work is being done on the latter. 

Looks that way but who'd have thought we'd get 4 points from Boro and Ipswich away but only one from Charlton at home and Rotherham away?

Completely agree we will stay up with 47, think we need to get far more than 7 extra points away, (so far we've collected 10) and see the 3 away games at Charlton, MK & Fulham as key.

What is clear though is we can't keep on drawing at home and expect to stay up.

Worried tonight about the disruption of the goalkeeper situation and a subs bench that still looks a lot like the one on the opening day, too..

A game we have to look at as winning and also very winnable. Preston have adapted better than us this season, don't score many bit also don't concede many. Right now would take four points with these two home games. That for me makes it a must win game.

Hopefully the result on Saturday will have lifted confidence and the impact burns made when coming on means we may be proactive tonight 

5 minutes ago, daored said:

A game we have to look at as winning and also very winnable. Preston have adapted better than us this season, don't score many bit also don't concede many. Right now would take four points with these two home games. That for me makes it a must win game.

Hopefully the result on Saturday will have lifted confidence and the impact burns made when coming on means we may be proactive tonight 

In fairness we'd been working on the ' not scoring many ' front we just blew it on Saturday .

Incrementally, the task of staying up becomes harder and less likely with each game lost or drawn, until we finally, mathematically, reach the first "must win" game. If we don't beat Preston at home, we are left with games against Boro, Derby and Brighton, amongst others, to look for home wins

Archived