IGNORED

Time to roll the dice..

KeepUpLino

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Too late I fear. I said back in November that if we're to make a change it would need to be before Xmas. I said leaving it until Jan/Feb would be too late...oh well.

I think we are stuck with SC for this season now....

What the point in sticking with something that's clearly not working, we need to give the club a boost and a chance of staying up.

If Cotts stays I fear we're down 

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Too late I fear. I said back in November that if we're to make a change it would need to be before Xmas. I said leaving it until Jan/Feb would be too late...oh well.

I think we are stuck with SC for this season now....

Agree, the time for a change was November / December time to give the new guy a chance to assess the squad and what is required. Too late for that to happen, SC took us up and unless he quits which I don't think he will, will lead us back to league 1

7 minutes ago, 'keepuplino' said:

Sack Cotts and try something else...

4 wins in 28 games and dropping like a stone..

What have we got to lose, it can't get any worse!!

Until there are signs he's lost the dressing room this would be pointless. The team are still very much a unit and are giving their all. Anyone can see what it means to them.

We are not dropping like a stone largely because there are 5 teams down there and arguably 2 are in a far more perilous situation. So we are competing against 2 others for the 3rd relegation spot.  

We can get out of this  

3 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Sleepwalking to relegation as things stand. 

Cotterill isolating himself from the fans with his attitude but no doubt everything other than the ref will get glossed over in the presser as usual. 

This. Same players + same manager + same system = same result. Mr Lansdown do it now FFS. I fear its too late though. 

1 minute ago, allyolly said:

Until there are signs he's lost the dressing room this would be pointless. The team are still very much a unit and are giving their all. Anyone can see what it means to them.

We are not dropping like a stone largely because there are 5 teams down there and arguably 2 are in a far more perilous situation. So we are competing against 2 others for the 3rd relegation spot.  

We can get out of this  

How can you say our team is still a unit? We've won 4 games in 28...

2 minutes ago, allyolly said:

We can get out of this  

I keep hearing we've not lost the dressing room and the players are behind him.  And they might well be but are they backing a manager who is keeping them together or one who lets them keep their position despite lacklustre performances.  We keep hearing the team are giving them all but realistically you look at the performance on Saturday and a few months ago against Cardiff or Forest.  And then you look at performances at Burnley or Rotherham or, to an extent tonight.  And you have to ask - are the players really performing to their optimal level on a consistent basis?  Because I'm not convinced on that.  And, if they aren't, don't we need the manager to get them to do that rather than keep their backing by guaranteeing their places and letting them be complacent?

Unfortunately the board just didn't have the cahoonies to do what was needed in November. Now I think it will make no difference. Sacking him now wouldn't exactly help us with transfers. 'Come and sign for our club please. We can't tell you who the manager will be so you'll just have to guess whether it is a good move or not'.

Our league position itself will torpedo the top-end players they are chasing. Can't see much hope or any obvious way out of the mess we are in now.

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

I keep hearing we've not lost the dressing room and the players are behind him.  And they might well be but are they backing a manager who is keeping them together or one who lets them keep their position despite lacklustre performances.  We keep hearing the team are giving them all but realistically you look at the performance on Saturday and a few months ago against Cardiff or Forest.  And then you look at performances at Burnley or Rotherham or, to an extent tonight.  And you have to ask - are the players really performing to their optimal level on a consistent basis?  Because I'm not convinced on that.  And, if they aren't, don't we need the manager to get them to do that rather than keep their backing by guaranteeing their places and letting them be complacent?

There is a lack of consistency, no doubt about that. is that the manager's fault?

The squad is so small there aren't many options for changes. I think the frustration was clear in the player interview tonight about the lack of options.

Although the ideal time to sack him was two months ago, it's still not too late. A new manager might have difficulty getting new players during the window, but there is the loan period that follows. The big advantage of a new manager is - shock horror - he might actually try something new! Different formations and tactics to suit the situation. Substitutions at appropriate times instead of when it's too late. 

7 hours ago, 'keepuplino' said:

Sack Cotts and try something else...

4 wins in 28 games and dropping like a stone..

What have we got to lose, it can't get any worse!!

Of course it can get worse have you looked across town or up the m4 recently; ffs we should be thank full for what we have already and get on with supporting our great club; or of course you could carry on moaning;

6 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Although the ideal time to sack him was two months ago, it's still not too late. A new manager might have difficulty getting new players during the window, but there is the loan period that follows. The big advantage of a new manager is - shock horror - he might actually try something new! Different formations and tactics to suit the situation. Substitutions at appropriate times instead of when it's too late. 

You would imply that sacking Cotts, getting a new man on board and still being  able to do some transfer business by the end of the window is achievable. 

Stranger things have happened, but unless there's someone already lined up to replace him, I don't think it is.

If results carry on he may get sacked in February, but expect the cheap option of Wade Elliott to take over until next season at least. The way things work here I'm afraid.

It feels far too late to change manager now; what we have to hope for (and I think that based on what we've seen this season that "hope" is the appropriate term) is that SC can squeeze the improvement he has spoken about from the current players, and bring in capable reinforcements to bolster us, as I'm wary that a new managers sometimes have a settling in period (al la JFH over at QPR) where results aren't great as they impart their philosophy, and to be frank; we cannot afford anything like that just now, because it will bury us.

I've always said that SC will be judged by me on if we are still in this division next year, and with that a tangible possibility (safety is not a pie-in-the-sky goal but one good result away right now), and the squad of players being very much his, then I can't advocate getting rid now.

That isn't to say I think everything is fine; there is a lot of stuff happening that I cannot understand, such as our slavish devotion to a clearly flawed (or at least vulnerable) tactical approach, and a recruitment strategy that is one rung above utterly bizarre.  

But we are left with little choice now; we have to stay the course, and hope the team show us why SC has kept with them, and prove they have the right to play at this level.

But one thing I'm clear on; we go down this summer, then that is SC out the door immediately.  All these frankly nonsense posts about becoming a 'yo-yo' club (name me one club who does this regularly between League One and here), or the insane concept we can just expect to recreate last season if we drop (that season was a perfect storm; don't get used to it) need to be purged with fire - they are examples the sort of thinking that hobbles us as a club, and hold us back. 

SC has one objective; stay up.  If he fails, then he's gone.  Over to him and his team to see what they're made of.

18 minutes ago, Taz said:

You would imply that sacking Cotts, getting a new man on board and still being  able to do some transfer business by the end of the window is achievable. 

Stranger things have happened, but unless there's someone already lined up to replace him, I don't think it is.

If results carry on he may get sacked in February, but expect the cheap option of Wade Elliott to take over until next season at least. The way things work here I'm afraid.

As i said on another thread if the club had stuck to their guns and appointed a First Team Coach we could easily and seamlessly have changed the coach .

We may even have been in a position where the change was n't necessary if all Cotts had to do was focus on the first team and not be involved in everything from the formation to the choice of tea in the canteen.

Once again our beloved club screw up .

My opinion for what it's worth is that Cotts deserves us to stick by him. Yes if we go down then he should go as he'll have failed but he deserves the chance to see it through. Our biggest mistake was allowing our momentum and positivity from last year to fizzle out and that I feel can't be blamed in Cotts or at least not mainly him. Still think we'll get some new faces in and we'll survive but just so angry that we didn't ride the wave for longer as it will be much harder to kick on next year now.

I have been saying since October that I don't think that Cotterill is the man to take us forward, but it is patently too late to change things now.  We can only hope that we have some luck in the transfer market because what we need most of all is bodies.  I would very quickly reset our sights towards players who will keep us up, rather than players who will take us forward, for that is the only priority now.  That might mean paying over the odds for players who will not have a long future with us or a high sell-on value, but that is what we need.  We need Wade Elliotts, not Zach Cloughs, in my humble opinion.  Kermogant would be a good start.

7 hours ago, allyolly said:

There is a lack of consistency, no doubt about that. is that the manager's fault?

The squad is so small there aren't many options for changes. I think the frustration was clear in the player interview tonight about the lack of options.

Ultimately the manager is responsible for getting consistent performances from the team.  If we're going to give Cotts the plaudits for the players playing consistently well last season, we also have to hold him accountable but the players not consistently playing to their full potential this season.

Also, whatever frustrations we had in the transfer market in the summer, it was Cotterill who decided not to recruit to fill out the squad in the summer as he felt the players available were no better than what we had.  Now he may well have been right about that BUT it also means he's taken the choice to go forward with a small squad with limited options for changes.  So he may be frustrated with the lack of options but he's also accountable.

And ultimately he chose not to make changes for the two games in 48 hours over Christmas, and again to play the same team Saturday and tonight.  We'll never know if we'd have won tonight or got more points over the bank holiday or what would happen if we'd played the loan players more but ultimately any football manager whose choices don't pay off has to accept people will question if different actions would have produced different results.  As it stands, the gambles and choices SC have taken have not worked and we look in danger of going down.  Cotterill, rather than anyone else, has to take responsibility for that.  

If there's one thing that frustrates me about Cotterill (and the people who continue to defend him) it's this hypocritical attitude that Cotterill deserves all the credit for what goes right but none of the blame for anything that goes wrong.  We have the small squad the manager chose to have, we have not signed the transfer targets the manager backed himself to sign, each week we pick the team the manager has chosen to pick and our performances are the level of performances the manager has got out of the team.  Whether or not you think he deserves the sack, if he deserves the credit for last season then he certainly can't be seen as blameless for our predicament this season. 

Archived