IGNORED

Transfer strategy

old_eastender

So just like the summer where we wasted our focus & efforts on players that we were never going to get (McGuire, Gayle, Gray), we now repeat the process with Zach Clough.

I thought it was very telling that SL stated in his Radio Bristol interview before Xmas that we should have had more focus around picking up the best of the rest of league 1 in the summer - he cited Sam Clucas who was snapped up by Hull and defender who went to Leeds whose name I cannot recall. SL also said the lower leagues and abroad are where we should be looking in Jan. Although tbh the alarm bells were already ringing when he said he had received no target transfer list from Cotts.

Trouble is it seems Cotts doesn't want to consider the likes of Dack, Bradshaw, Roofe, Allen, Moncur and many other decent shouts that have been mentioned.

Right now with Clough deal seemingly dead, just hope we go for Kermorgant or find another to bring in from France.

If we get to the end of Jan and Wilbs and Pack are still first choice starts, we will have wasted another transfer window and will be as good as down.

I honestly don't think that there is a stragedy at all, which is extremely worrying.

At this moment in time it's looking like we'll be playing in League 1 next season, so we may as well start trying to recruit for that. Buy the best of that league, the likes of your Bradshaw,  Dack, Moncur, and even Roof. If they're hungry enough now they may make a difference to our season and keep us up. If not, we've already got the foundations of a decent team for next season. 

We're in the 11th hour now, and whatever stragedy is currently in place, it ain't bloody working.

5 minutes ago, jambodinho said:

Cotts is effectively trying to shop in Waitrose on an Lidl budget. He knows we have a Lidl budget as this would have been explained to him. Shame it hasn't sunk into his thick head. 

I'm not sure he is TBH.  I don't think he can sell the club to potential players.

23 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

I'm not sure he is TBH.  I don't think he can sell the club to potential players.

Gayle, Gray, Lingard, Maguire, Clough? I'm sorry but there are not many managers that could of tempted these players here. Not as a newly promoted team. Not with the financial restraints of having a 3 sided stadium. 

53 minutes ago, jambodinho said:

Cotts is effectively trying to shop in Waitrose on an Lidl budget. He knows we have a Lidl budget as this would have been explained to him. Shame it hasn't sunk into his thick head. 

I find the best thin to do is buy your essentials at lidl and buy some premium products at waitrose.

1 hour ago, jambodinho said:

You can get a free paper or a coffee in Waitrose if you spend over £5 (over £10 on Sat and Sun)

48 minutes ago, jambodinho said:

Gayle, Gray, Lingard, Maguire, Clough? I'm sorry but there are not many managers that could of tempted these players here. Not as a newly promoted team. Not with the financial restraints of having a 3 sided stadium. 

What financial restraints?  He's been backed when he's wanted a player - he has failed to entice them here.

It's not just that he's shopping at Waitrose with a LIDL budget it's that he's looking at cakes and biscuits when he hasn't bought any bread, milk or bog roll.

We've got no alternative to Smith or Pack in midfield whatsoever yet there has been no attempt to rectify this, successful or otherwise.

3 hours ago, jambodinho said:

It's not that we've got a lidl budget it's because we're 3rd bottom and Cotts is our manager!!

This is the season where we have had no transfer strategy whatsoever.  As a fan it is the most bizarre thing to ever witness.  I only hold SC responsible for this.

The manager has to dictate who we sign and safeguard against a weak and vulnerable squad.  He absolutely has not done this.

1 minute ago, reddogkev said:

This is the season where we have had no transfer strategy whatsoever.  As a fan it is the most bizarre thing to ever witness.  I only hold SC responsible for this.

The manager has to dictate who we sign and safeguard against a weak and vulnerable squad.  He absolutely has not done this.

Agree with the first sentence, but think the rest is down to everyone involved, owner, board, head of recruitment and the manager.

A shambles.

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Agree with the first sentence, but think the rest is down to everyone involved, owner, board, head of recruitment and the manager.

A shambles.

You are right about collective responsibility - together they have all cocked it up.  I still feel that the main liability rests with the manager.

This is unless Steve gave the board his clear list of 7 or 8 names, and we then failed to secure any signing.  I can't see any evidence for this scenario - especially coupled with our absolute success in the previous summer.

9 minutes ago, Robin Ashton said:

This window we have brought in a player from abroad and one from League 1.

Be serious.

We've loaned in a goalie who couldn't get a game in League one because Fielding is injured and also signed a lad from the French equivalent of Mangotsfield.

This apparently seems to be where our owner thinks we can find the players to keep us up...

I'd love to know what Keith Burt thinks

Don't forget Burt's relationship to SC is not the same as to SOD, because SC insisted on being manager and not as was agreed club policy when KB was appointed, head coach. I believe we are reaping the whirlwind of that particular Board decision.  As others as well as myself have pointed out SC is too old school for this league, as well as too stubborn

It is clear SC is largly responsible for our short comings in the transfer market.  He has openly said he will only look at players who can play in our style or formation hence narrowing target options.

It doesn't need to be done to death again but his rigidty to stick to his formation is clearly hampering off the field as well as on it.

We may have failed with many signings if he hadn't taken this stance, but there would certainly have been more options. 

Archived