IGNORED

Why don't journalists ask the difficult questions?

BRISTOL86

One of my biggest gripes after getting back to the car, having watched another predictable performance is that everyone seems scared to ask the difficult questions/questions the fans want answered.

Why is this? Is this not a journalist's job, to ask questions which address the key points?

Just taking last night's interview for example, there was numerous opportunity to respond to Cotterill's comments with difficult questions that the fans want answers to, but as usual, they don't come. You could take any post match interview this season and they're all basically the same, dull questions, which don't put the manager on the spot and get him to answer what the fans want to know.

From last night:

SC: We have to do a year's worth of recruitment in one window which is nigh-on impossible

The response here should have been 'Why is that the case, what went wrong in the summer window for you?'

SC: We 100% didn't deserve to lose. Preston came for the point, we were the better team, blah blah blah..

The response here should have been 'You feel you were the better side, but Preston came away with all three points - is it fair to say they managed the game better than City?'

SC: (Paraphrasing) The lack of players is something for me to worry about, not you.

The response here should have been 'The fans are rightly concerned, given the run of form and the league position - what can you say to reassure them that you can improve the squad in January'

SC: The lads are giving everything they can, nothing left on the pitch etc. etc.

The response here should have been 'Is it fair to say that the club underestimated how big the step up from L1 to Championship is? What would have been done differently in the summer with the benefit of hindsight?'

But no, we don't get any of that. We get journos who are seemingly too afraid to ask a question that might possibly offend Steve Cotterill. In any other line of work, managers are expected to be accountable for results and answer difficult questions when they aren't forthcoming - why is that not the case here?

Of course there's all sorts of questions you could ask, but just once I'd like to hear a reporter retort to one of these one-size-fits-all soundbites with an actual tricky question, not just the usual, boring bollocks.

Sorry.

3 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

One of my biggest gripes after getting back to the car, having watched another predictable performance is that everyone seems scared to ask the difficult questions/questions the fans want answered.

Why is this? Is this not a journalist's job, to ask questions which address the key points?

Just taking last night's interview for example, there was numerous opportunity to respond to Cotterill's comments with difficult questions that the fans want answers to, but as usual, they don't come. You could take any post match interview this season and they're all basically the same, dull questions, which don't put the manager on the spot and get him to answer what the fans want to know.

From last night:

SC: We have to do a year's worth of recruitment in one window which is nigh-on impossible

The response here should have been 'Why is that the case, what went wrong in the summer window for you?'

SC: We 100% didn't deserve to lose. Preston came for the point, we were the better team, blah blah blah..

The response here should have been 'You feel you were the better side, but Preston came away with all three points - is it fair to say they managed the game better than City?'

SC: (Paraphrasing) The lack of players is something for me to worry about, not you.

The response here should have been 'The fans are rightly concerned, given the run of form and the league position - what can you say to reassure them that you can improve the squad in January'

SC: The lads are giving everything they can, nothing left on the pitch etc. etc.

The response here should have been 'Is it fair to say that the club underestimated how big the step up from L1 to Championship is? What would have been done differently in the summer with the benefit of hindsight?'

But no, we don't get any of that. We get journos who are seemingly too afraid to ask a question that might possibly offend Steve Cotterill. In any other line of work, managers are expected to be accountable for results and answer difficult questions when they aren't forthcoming - why is that not the case here?

Of course there's all sorts of questions you could ask, but just once I'd like to hear a reporter retort to one of these one-size-fits-all soundbites with an actual tricky question, not just the usual, boring bollocks.

Sorry.

I couldn't agree more, no direct questioning. We as fans deserve some answers and unfortunately we need these journalist's to ask some very simple questions rather than being worried if SC going to bite there heads off!!

Ed Hadwin melts like a chocolate teapot, you can literally hear the fear flowing through him. Makes statements; doesn't ask questions and doesn't ever ask anything testing.

Many opportunities for him to cut in and pick SC up on various points but he just didn't. Was a terrible interview.

Didn't mention Zach Clough by name once which was strange, just 'transfer targets'.

Why are journalists so scared to say the 'wrong thing'? If SC gets angry, that's his problem not theirs!

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Ed Hadwin melts like a chocolate teapot, you can literally hear the fear flowing through him. Makes statements; doesn't ask questions and doesn't ever ask anything testing.

Many opportunities for him to cut in and pick SC up on various points but he just didn't. Was a terrible interview.

Didn't mention Zach Clough by name once which was strange, just 'transfer targets'.

Why are journalists so scared to say the 'wrong thing'? If SC gets angry, that's his problem not theirs!

Agree not to mention Zach clough by name was incredible. He just bottled it.

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

From last night:

Sorry.

Because they are reporters, happy to let their subject say what they want to say, they're not journalists with journalistic talent.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Bang on. 

Ed Hadwin is a quivering wreck. He was stuttering all over the place last night and it is obvious he is petrified of SC. pointless interview in the end 

totally agree with this thread and content, one thing I have always looked forward to ( although not so much this season) is getting back to the car and listening to RB. Ed Hadwin I am afraid is AFRAID of Cotts and you can almost sense the fear as he 'interviews' him, so come on RB put a roughtie toughtie interviewer in to do the job right:punish:

I've said this numerous times, written press, tv and radio bottle all the difficult questions.

To have a job in this industry must be so easy these days as it seems editors/producers/directors don't want more paper sales/listeners/viewers.

It's the same nationally, closed questions over and over again.

1 hour ago, Taylor10 said:

Bang on. 

Ed Hadwin is a quivering wreck. He was stuttering all over the place last night and it is obvious he is petrified of SC. pointless interview in the end 

I think this is right, but I'm not sure I blame the journalist.  Every time I hear Cotterill interviewed on Radio Bristol I am mentally egging the journalist on to ask the questions we want to hear, but you can almost feel the intimidation in Cotterill's voice.  You might argue that journalists are paid to ask difficult questions but this is local radio and they are trying to maintain a decent relationship with the club.  I daresay if it was national radio, it would be different.  For the moment, though, I for one am completely unsurprised if local journalists struggle to create meaningful interviews with Cotterill.  Perhaps Jeremy Paxman should be invited down to interview him...

2 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I think this is right, but I'm not sure I blame the journalist.  Every time I hear Cotterill interviewed on Radio Bristol I am mentally egging the journalist on to ask the questions we want to hear, but you can almost feel the intimidation in Cotterill's voice.  You might argue that journalists are paid to ask difficult questions but this is local radio and they are trying to maintain a decent relationship with the club.  I daresay if it was national radio, it would be different.  For the moment, though, I for one am completely unsurprised if local journalists struggle to create meaningful interviews with Cotterill.  Perhaps Jeremy Paxman should be invited down to interview him...

Correct.  You are also very unlikely to get a straight answer from Steve Cotterill as to the reasons for failure in the immediate aftermath of a disappointing defeat, with emotions running high. I don't think he is unique as a manager in his defensiveness in such situations.  And if he wasn’t,  you'd hear accusations that he had "thrown the towel in".

I would like to hear a cool-headed, clear interview with the man which raised the summer fiasco on a non-match day.

At the moment he is continually stating that he is doing the best he can with the resources at his disposal.

By implication that means others have not done their job, perhaps we should hear from them.

I did not take any hope, from last nights Radio Bristol interview.  

I do not expect a club interview every day about every little thing, but an explanation of our overall strategy, whether we have already used up our wage budget and who signed some players who were not even given a chance.

6 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Correct.  You are also very unlikely to get a straight answer from Steve Cotterill as to the reasons for failure in the immediate aftermath of a disappointing defeat, with emotions running high. I don't think he is unique as a manager in his defensiveness in such situations.  And if he wasn’t,  you'd hear accusations that he had "thrown the towel in".

I would like to hear a cool-headed, clear interview with the man which raised the summer fiasco on a non-match day.

agreed. And that's where Radio Bristol and the local press fail to deliver. I'm not sure that post-match interviews are ever enlightening with regard to the long term issues at a club. 

At the moment I for one would love just any sense of where the club is heading. That's not born of a sense of "entitlement" to know things, but more a deep disappointment that having spent a small fortune and many days travelling the country to cheer us on last season (along with many others, I know) I'd really like to understand how the opportunity to lay foundations that promotion at Bradford offered was so spectacularly squandered. We were, after all, promoted on April 14th!

It's a (sad?!) truth that much of the best writing on Bristol City lies in the posts of the wiser members of OTIB, thanks to them we at least hear something.

I know that the interviews are done straight after the match because they want to capture this emotion and need instant views from the teams. However, I would be interested to hear Cotts answers this morning, say at 10am when he has had more time to reflect and assess what happened.

The next we hear from him is the press conference for the next game when this has gone.

Archived