IGNORED

Mark Little twice the player he was last season...

Atyeo's Love Child

6 minutes ago, Atyeo's Love Child said:

Did ok last night, but surely would offer more if he loses a few pounds.

Being injured should not give you an excuse to let yourself go.

Agreed. Was sat second row in the Dolman and definitely carrying half a stone too much. 

Ayling isn't woeful at this level, but he doesn't fit into a 3-5-2 at this level either. He likes to travel with the ball and overlap, whereas Flint and Baker are much more suited to sitting deep. We have to go with three sitting defenders or two ball players either side of Flint, not a lopsided back line as it is currently.

14 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

Ayling isn't woeful at this level, but he doesn't fit into a 3-5-2 at this level either. He likes to travel with the ball and overlap, whereas Flint and Baker are much more suited to sitting deep. We have to go with three sitting defenders or two ball players either side of Flint, not a lopsided back line as it is currently.

Makes too many mistakes for me, too many bad touches and loses his man quite regularly. Good example Bolton away 2nd half lost the man on far post at least twice which against a better side we'd have lost the game.

14 minutes ago, BA14 RED said:

Makes too many mistakes for me, too many bad touches and loses his man quite regularly. Good example Bolton away 2nd half lost the man on far post at least twice which against a better side we'd have lost the game.

What have you been watching this season? Ayling along with Korey have been the only standouts that have stepped up.

3 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

What have you been watching this season? Ayling along with Korey have been the only standouts that have stepped up.

Phew......glad you think that.  I'd began to wonder what I'd been watching this season.  Yes, Ayling has had a few dodgy moments in games and maybe the odd bad game, but he has been one of our best performers this season.  Last night, was one of the players to get us going....or at least try.

Just now, Davefevs said:

Phew......glad you think that.  I'd began to wonder what I'd been watching this season.  Yes, Ayling has had a few dodgy moments in games and maybe the odd bad game, but he has been one of our best performers this season.  Last night, was one of the players to get us going....or at least try.

Me too. Aside from Smith he's probably my fav player. 

If running up the field and colliding with opposition players is your thing then Little is your man!

I think he was the weakest player in our side and the fact that the post saved him from total embarrassment in the second half is one of the reasons why the club wanted Bennett to stay. 

He is not at peak fitness admittedly,  but I'm afraid I just don't think he will cut it in the Championship. 

I tell you what, for a bloke who's actually a right back I think Luke Ayling has had a fantastic season so far and agree he's easily in our top 3 players!

Personally thought Little was poor, so predictable that he's going to kick the ball past the defender and chase it (or at the defender and run into him)

The mistake in the second half really summed up his lack of footballing ability. No real pressure and couldn't comfortably bring the ball down.

I thought Little should have been subbed for Burn's st half time.

He made a few mistakes early on and looked like his mind had gone. He did not want the ball going forward and was a liability defensively. Probably the worst performance I have seen at the Gate and more like half the player of last season rather than twice. And that's not mentioning the shocker he had when they hit the post.

I would have burns on the team sheet ahead of Little.

I'm a huge fan of Ayling but as much as he was trying to drive the ball forward on Tuesday he was having no luck, especially if Korey wasn't available. The defenders then resulted in hoofing the ball long and forward and mainly bypassing the midfield, then getting it straight back as Preston were doing the same. This was pretty much the 1st half if people weren't there.

little isn't fit, but what do you expect if he was kept out of the side by a player we thought we were keeping, banking on keeping. He can hardly step in and be up to speed if he hasn't had any game time. As an aside, I don't wish to jinx him but I do have concerns how many injuries, not little niggles, Little picks up. I fear it will be only a matter of time till we are without him again anyway.

17 minutes ago, RightUpInCider said:

I thought Little should have been subbed for Burn's st half time.

He made a few mistakes early on and looked like his mind had gone. He did not want the ball going forward and was a liability defensively. Probably the worst performance I have seen at the Gate and more like half the player of last season rather than twice. And that's not mentioning the shocker he had when they hit the post.

I would have burns on the team sheet ahead of Little.

Based on what? Burns' first contribution immediately after coming on was pushing a bloke to the floor. An International class push, mind. But for me he isn't the answer I'm afraid. 

Little is also not good enough for us at this level along with Bryan, Freeman, Wilbs, Reid, Agard. Our squad is so big I can't think of them all but you catch my drift. 

Mark Little looked terrible to me on Tuesday. Don't think he looked remotely dangerous going forward with the exception of one attack. Way too ponderous on the ball, unsure on which runs he should be making when attacking and very little understanding with Ayling (who you could tell was getting visibly annoyed by the lack of outlet on the right). Granted he had a fairly major injury last year, however his reluctance to jump for balls in the air is also a worry.

Some people didn't see the contribution Elliott Bennett made during his time here - people may start to notice that more now....

10 hours ago, Lew-T said:

Funny how people watch the same match and see things completely differently.

I was listening on the Stinker... sorry I meant on Player... and the remarks about Ayling seemed positive throughout. And overall in most commentaries he has a good game. Of course, other than what conflicting remarks are made on here I cannot be held accountable for my views given they come straight from Ed Hadwin or that other bloke who sounds like a sunday afternoon gardening show host. While on topic i thought Carey showed improvement though .

8 hours ago, Bs4Red said:

I tell you what, for a bloke who's actually a right back I think Luke Ayling has had a fantastic season so far and agree he's easily in our top 3 players!

Personally thought Little was poor, so predictable that he's going to kick the ball past the defender and chase it (or at the defender and run into him)

The mistake in the second half really summed up his lack of footballing ability. No real pressure and couldn't comfortably bring the ball down.

He's not bad when going forward.

But as a right centre back? No good in the air, out of position too often, poor tackler.

As for Little, he is clearly not yet match fit but when he is play him at right back in a 4-4-2.

• Admin

Have said all season he was a massive missing link to our side, him and Ayling formed a great partnership last season. As good as Bennett was he never seemed to click with Ayling.

Not sure how much Little's shoulder still affects him, but he is improving game by game 

Little and Ayling are like a lot of our squad . They both have obvious strengths , but weaknesses as well that get punished at this standard . We need better players or at least players to challenge for their positions . 

I like Ayling , he gives his all , he's a nice bloke, but his passing was woeful on Tuesday night and I don't feel he can be accommodated as Right Centre Half against some of the quality forwards in this division .

Archived