IGNORED

Changes for Saturday or Tuesday or both?

Flagon

We are all more than aware of our extremely small squad and now have two tough games coming up against a potentially Premiership team in waiting followed by a Premiership on Tuesday and then onto a winnable game away to Leeds. Not saying the others aren't winnable but Leeds would obviously be seen as easier of the three.

Earlier in the season Freeman got sent off forcing Bobby Reid into the fold and against all odds at the time we beat Boro away. Cotts himself stated that the players were shattered after the West Brom game, and this came off the back of the Charlton disappointment, Reading disappointment and mauling at Burnley. 

Surely we have to give up something these next two games and give someone an opportunity for a rest. We really aren't in much of a position to make wholesale changes and I think we only really have a couple of viable options to swap players in and out. These players have pretty much played week in week out for well over a season now given that there has been very little transfer activity and you really can't fault their efforts.  There have only been a handful of games where we've really been done, alot of the others could genuinely have ended differently.

I personally would look to start Reid for Freeman and Burns for Wilbs. If the paperwork is sorted I would also look to see how Garita could do at some point in those matches.

The players must be pretty shattered giving everything for such little reward at the moment.

With still no imminent signings, heaven forbid any injuries to our squad and in particular to players where we really seem to have no other viable options. 

Expect Williams in for Bryan to try and cope with Albert, Williams being more defensively sound. Keep Wilbraham in to start with however expect Agard to come on again sometime earlyish in the second half like Tuesday, maybe the hour mark. Reid for Freeman would be the last change you could maybe expect, only thing I would say is the game seemed a lot more open with Reid on, he got forward more than Freeman, whether this is something we'd want against Boro would be the issue. 

3 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

We need personnel changes without doubt but I consider that we must go to a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 formation to make us more solid at the back.

If we can stop conceding, we may have a slight chance of avoiding the drop.

Given we have a squad built to play used to 532 is it wise to swap system? Seems to me its the reason we've stuck to 532, yes we haven't been overly successful, however swapping systems would mean the whole squad having to get used to the new system mid season while matches are taking place.

Don't see Cotterill making any changes for the Boro game, but if there is one it will be Del in for Bryan. Williams is more defensively minded. Reid should come in for Freeman, that is doubtful however.

For the WBA game I'd freshen things up, as we all know we cant afford any more injuries, so it's the game to do it. Wagstaff, Williams, Reid, Agard, Burns and Garita would all get game time if it were up to me.

Do fully expect same XI for both games nonetheless

34 minutes ago, hodge said:

Given we have a squad built to play used to 532 is it wise to swap system? Seems to me its the reason we've stuck to 532, yes we haven't been overly successful, however swapping systems would mean the whole squad having to get used to the new system mid season while matches are taking place.

So is not possible for players to know how to play more than one formation?

Some teams are able to change during games, no wonder we can't sign anyone if they must be playing in a 532  now,it  might take them 4 weeks  to get up to speed if the side they are in are playing 442!!

How many sides in the country play this system ?

3 hours ago, stephenkibby. said:

So is not possible for players to know how to play more than one formation?

Some teams are able to change during games, no wonder we can't sign anyone if they must be playing in a 532  now,it  might take them 4 weeks  to get up to speed if the side they are in are playing 442!!

How many sides in the country play this system ?

532 was has been ingrained in the team for a long time now, given how dominant we were last season there was no need for us to play another system, they may have been using another one in training, but we wouldn't know that. However if they start learning a new system now, it takes time to learn it, meaning during that time results aren't likely to get better with no guarantee the new system will bring an improvement in results. Really last seasons success has hurt us in this regard. 

7 minutes ago, hodge said:

532 was has been ingrained in the team for a long time now, given how dominant we were last season there was no need for us to play another system, they may have been using another one in training, but we wouldn't know that. However if they start learning a new system now, it takes time to learn it, meaning during that time results aren't likely to get better with no guarantee the new system will bring an improvement in results. Really last seasons success has hurt us in this regard. 

Don't buy this, it's not like they've never played a different system, be it here or previous.

4-2-3-1 would suit the personnel we have with options in every position plus harder to break down, simple system where you get one role and not dual roles like wing backs 

1 minute ago, ThOmO said:

Don't buy this, it's not like they've never played a different system, be it here or previous.

4-2-3-1 would suit the personnel we have with options in every position plus harder to break down, simple system where you get one role and not dual roles like wing backs 

Previously in a back 4 Flint has been exposed, so if that happens again either you have Little playing at right back and being exposed or Ayling at RB with two left footed centre backs and Bryan at LB.

4 minutes ago, hodge said:

Previously in a back 4 Flint has been exposed, so if that happens again either you have Little playing at right back and being exposed or Ayling at RB with two left footed centre backs and Bryan at LB.

RB - Ayling/little

CD - 2 of Flint, Baker, El Abd, Williams

LB - Williams/ Bryan 

Adam el abd is a comfortable back 4 centre half with championship experience who we've never played as such

1 minute ago, ThOmO said:

RB - Ayling/little

CD - 2 of Flint, Baker, El Abd, Williams

LB - Williams/ Bryan 

Adam el abd is a comfortable back 4 centre half with championship experience who we've never played as such

Don't think Little can play in a back 4 personally he bombs forward too much and doesn't track back quick enough, gets found out in a back 5. Again last time Flint had a spell in a back 4 he didn't fare well. Same with Little really Bryan tries getting forward, potentially leaving us exposed in a back 4. So you'd need:

Ayling ---- El Abd ---- Baker ---- Williams

How much stick do you expect Cotterill would to take for leaving Flint out for El Abd? Really I'd have liked us to keep Moore, I would have had no qualms about Moore and Baker playing centre back together. 

32 minutes ago, hodge said:

Sorry but i am sure that they have all played different formations prior to coming here .

Most players are more at home with 442 and should have No problem switching back ,No ? 

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

Sorry but i am sure that they have all played different formations prior to coming here .

Most players are more at home with 442 and should have No problem switching back ,No ? 

They will have but its the difference is playing a different formation with a different teams tactics, build up play, tempo, role they're playing in the team, overlapping players etc it takes time to get used to what your team mates do around you, all the different pieces take time to gel, hence why new formations etc are generally pre season work. 

That would be the choice Flint or al abd

we haven't seen al abd in a back 4

no need for full backs to bomb forward quite so much as wingers in front of them

as the two I'd go Pack ----- Smith

and the 3 would be rw - burns/agard  cam - Reid/freeman lw - Bryan/freeman

With kodjia as striker as he's used to this role in a 1

13 minutes ago, hodge said:

Don't think Little can play in a back 4 personally he bombs forward too much and doesn't track back quick enough, gets found out in a back 5. Again last time Flint had a spell in a back 4 he didn't fare well. Same with Little really Bryan tries getting forward, potentially leaving us exposed in a back 4. So you'd need:

Ayling ---- El Abd ---- Baker ---- Williams

How much stick do you expect Cotterill would to take for leaving Flint out for El Abd? Really I'd have liked us to keep Moore, I would have had no qualms about Moore and Baker playing centre back together. 

So are you saying little cannot play full back?

He's going to struggle then when the time to move on comes!!!

3 minutes ago, hodge said:

We ship enough goals with a back 5, I would hardly expect that to get any better changing to a back 4, Pack and Smith would play similar roles to their current ones, so in reality you're moving players further up field. 

It is always a back 3 though as our wing backs are usually too far advanced especially later in a game when tiredness kicks in in my opinion.

1 minute ago, stephenkibby. said:

So are you saying little cannot play full back?

He's going to struggle then when the time to move on comes!!!

Personal opinion is he makes a poor full back as I've said his inclination is to get forward, when he does he doesn't tend to track back quick enough. His personal strengths come in his attacking play. If we were to play 442 I would rather Little playing RM/RW then RB.

1 minute ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

It is always a back 3 though as our wing backs are usually too far advanced especially later in a game when tiredness kicks in in my opinion.

With Bryan and Little its more of a back 3, Williams and sticks back hence why he often plays more than Bryan, what I saw of Bennett he was able to get up and down the pitch better than Little does. Again last season we could get away with the attacking wing backs, this year we suffer with them not tracking back. 

3 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Remember seeing Gary Neville talk about this and he said when one wing back goes forward the other has to make sure he stays back otherwise you will always be in trouble.

11 minutes ago, hodge said:

We ship enough goals with a back 5, I would hardly expect that to get any better changing to a back 4, Pack and Smith would play similar roles to their current ones, so in reality you're moving players further up field. 

Disagree in this system it's a disciplined back 4 without the need to use fullbacks to bomb on, dragging centre halfs left and right, with the protection of 2 midfielders 

3 minutes ago, Big C said:

I think Freeman will struggle to make Saturday so there will be at least one change

Yeah I think he was meant to be a doubt against West Brom but was OK. Think that was one of main reasons Bobby got more game time Tuesday. Team getting smaller all the time. We are in such a crazy situation, you couldn't make it up.

Archived