IGNORED

Big Mistake

John Galley

I have supported BCFC for 60 years and love this club but I think we are now doomed. The old saying "pay peanuts get monkeys" comes to mind, we are now in the championship and you have to compete at that level and that includes wages. At least we will be able to house the crowds for our local denies next season, the Gas, Swindon and maybe Plymouth in our 27000 seater stadium.

He hadn't lost the dressing room , the player were with him so it wasn't that , that was the reason for our position. Can you imagine the meltdown on here if we'd simply cruised to relegation playing the same way, doing the same things while all the time hearing the same excuses, Something had to give , the board blinked !  It can't be a totally wrong decision as we were on our way down anyway, I think the only question was timing. I think they tried to give him the window but no one was coming in so they acted. We have a short period of time to change that, and the NEXT big decision will see whether we (by that I mean the board) get that it right!

With hindsight the mistake was not letting Cotts go after the poor defeat at Rotherham, as that would have given a new manager chance to assess the squad and have been ready with target list for the Jan Window.

The timing of this is odd, but no different to when the board finally acted to get rid of McInnes, unfortunately then we still ended up going down.

The truth of the failed transfer windows we may never know, but doubt Cotts was blameless. SL has said we could offer competitive wages and that view had been echoed by Louis Carey who is probably more ITK that any of us. Seems that the board wanted to invest in the best of the rest league 1 could offer and Cotts wanted proven championship players. Unfortunately in the summer that left us chasing players that didn't really find us a draw, McGuire, Gayle, Gray.

Perhaps the timing is down to us having agreed a deal in the background to bring in a manager, perhaps because the summer transfer failings seem to be happening again with us chasing Clough, the Olympic Lyon forward and even enquiring for Crouch! Meanwhile the obvious target of Yann Kermogant seems to be ignored and it now appears is off to Reading.

Wherever the transfer failing lay, it has been Cotts stubbornness in not using the squad he had more intelligently that has ultimately cost us points. Had a spent Little been subbed against MKD we would have won, had a spend Bryan been subbed against Charlton we would have won, had he subbed Baker at HT against Blackburn we may have at least got a point. Had Wilbs not be flogged for 90+ minutes, or near 90, game after game he would have been more effective.

Anyway it's done now, let's hope we do make a new manager signing quickly with still scope to do some business in the Jan Window.

I am not sure we are doomed, but I will admit we have to get a great deal better and fast. 

A new man might just be the spark we need.

It has me thinking, SL has a vast sum of money in this club. If it were me and I found myself in this predicament, I would seek outside advice.

SC for all to see stuck with his 3-5-2. Apart from the Derby game (and that ended badly) did he try something different.  I would have liked to see us tactically set up against different teams to nullify the their threat and have a plan to win games.  Just going 3-5-2 and  believe that we win ultimately was his downfall.

Back to my point. I would have sought the advice of a football man to assess what my manager was doing. Get him to look at each game and question SC decisions, game management and tactics.  

Dispensing with SC must have been a difficult decision. Only time will tell if it was the correct one. A big few days ahead.

In conclusion I hope there is someone that's helping SL to take this club to the next level. A technical Football Consultant that can guide this board to find the right man.

Stevo

Archived