IGNORED

Statement of intent from the board.

marmite

Surely the next choice of the board will define the clubs intentions.

Interim manager means lets see where we end up and take it from there.

Young lower league manager means lets bounce around between Championship and Div1. (May as well have stayed with SC)

Moyes/Pearson type means we mean business. Someone who can get quality players here.

I hope its the 3rd option but this is BCFC, so anything can happen. Whoever it is will still get my support though. CTID.

As I said on another thread,the king is dead,long live the King,who ever comes in will get my support.Even if I am totally underwhelmed with the choice ,as I was when SC was appointed,they deserve a chance.SC certainly surprised me so here's hoping.

I confess to being a bit lukewarm about the Pearson love in by some. He appears to be Cotts on steroids and whilst I found him entertaining to listen to as a neutral would he fit with what seems to be an indecisive yet meddlesome (allegedly) board ? Surely Moyes would look to an establsihed big club in the Championship who aren't afraid to pay wages AND spend. Whilst he is disliked by many we could do worse than get Warnock in as interim until the end of the season and see where we are then.

3 minutes ago, RedUn said:

If we can't afford proven Championship players, how can we afford proven Premiership managers?

Who said we can't afford championship players? In fact it seems the reverse is true, SL has publicly said we could pay the wages, SC in his last interview said he decided not to match what Coughs agent wanted, rather than upset the dressing room

1 hour ago, RedUn said:

If we can't afford proven Championship players, how can we afford proven Premiership managers?

This again? City can afford to pay the wages but choose not to for some players. They were prepared to pay Gayle his prem wages, he didn't want to join. It seems they chose not to pay stupid wages to a 20 year old unproven championship player, because that's what Clough is. Surely that is the model fans want the club to follow isn't it? 

There is a massive difference to being able to afford wages that a talent deserves and having the p*** taken by a player/agent! 

1 hour ago, Loon plage said:

I confess to being a bit lukewarm about the Pearson love in by some. He appears to be Cotts on steroids and whilst I found him entertaining to listen to as a neutral would he fit with what seems to be an indecisive yet meddlesome (allegedly) board ? Surely Moyes would look to an establsihed big club in the Championship who aren't afraid to pay wages AND spend. Whilst he is disliked by many we could do worse than get Warnock in as interim until the end of the season and see where we are then.

Warnock said he fancies fire-fighting jobs.... He could've been on the training ground today if the club got moving but I'm sure we'll wait..... maybe get someone just in time for the loan window to open.... we love the loan window....

2 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Who said we can't afford championship players? In fact it seems the reverse is true, SL has publicly said we could pay the wages, SC in his last interview said he decided not to match what Coughs agent wanted, rather than upset the dressing room

41 minutes ago, arrytheb said:

This again? City can afford to pay the wages but choose not to for some players. They were prepared to pay Gayle his prem wages, he didn't want to join. It seems they chose not to pay stupid wages to a 20 year old unproven championship player, because that's what Clough is. Surely that is the model fans want the club to follow isn't it? 

There is a massive difference to being able to afford wages that a talent deserves and having the p*** taken by a player/agent! 

I'll say it again "We can't afford proven Championship players" ... self-evidently ... the above quotes actually go some way to explaining why we haven't signed any.  

2 hours ago, RedUn said:

It's a bit different - we can't break wage structure for individual players in a team but you can for managers as it doesn't create potential jealousy in the same way. We have the funds, bids for Grey/Gayle/Clough show us that.

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It's a bit different - we can't break wage structure for individual players in a team but you can for managers as it doesn't create potential jealousy in the same way. We have the funds, bids for Grey/Gayle/Clough show us that.

... and what sort of wages would the players such a manager would want to bring in command? There is a difference between (SL) having the funds and the club affording it.

2 hours ago, RedUn said:

We can afford them. We can't sign them though. Big difference. Also, if we have a bid accepted the club are quite right not to pay whatever the player wants. What if Gray is asking for £40k per week? Should we pay that? I don't think so. Can we afford it? Technically but it's not sustainable.

To say we can't afford players is incorrect from what the club has shown

19 minutes ago, RedUn said:

I'll say it again "We can't afford proven Championship players" ... self-evidently ... the above quotes actually go some way to explaining why we haven't signed any.  

You can say it as much as you like but we can afford them but maybe, just maybe, decide they ain't worth it. 

Should we just pay every player we try to sign whatever they ask or should we look at a players worth and pay somewhere nearer to that? If (and I'm not saying he did) Clough demanded 15k a week should we have offered that? We could afford it, should we pay it?!

1 hour ago, arrytheb said:

Yes this is what I've been saying and thinking. We don't mind paying decent wages for the proven young talent. 15-20k(for example) for Gayle or Gray is acceptable because they fit our criteria and are proven. Same with a Lees or Maguire. When it came to Clough we offered him an increase I imagine but he probably wanted Gayle money to leave. It's ok to not want to pay that as he's only played 20 or so games. 

I don't think we are broke or being cheap. I think we are being economical which I still applaud. The problem with this is the players we are willing to pay don't want to come. Elliott Bennett another example. He done well for us but would you want to pay him maybe 13k a week? I think we are being smart and it's a shame one or two didn't come off because it would've changed our season and perception. If we somehow stay up I hope the policy continues, I just hope we can be more persuasive and a bit more aggressive for overseas players. 

SL has suggested that he wants the football club to roughly break even, so paying stupid wages to players or managers does not fit with that. The only way forward for clubs like City is youth development and good scouting, with a few older heads and the occasional big purchase. Let's not forget, SL chucked £50m at the team in recent years to achieve sweet FA. It ain't what you spend its the way that you spend it.

12 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Yes this is what I've been saying and thinking. We don't mind paying decent wages for the proven young talent. 15-20k(for example) for Gayle or Gray is acceptable because they fit our criteria and are proven. Same with a Lees or Maguire. When it came to Clough we offered him an increase I imagine but he probably wanted Gayle money to leave. It's ok to not want to pay that as he's only played 20 or so games. 

I don't think we are broke or being cheap. I think we are being economical which I still applaud. The problem with this is the players we are willing to pay don't want to come. Elliott Bennett another example. He done well for us but would you want to pay him maybe 13k a week? I think we are being smart and it's a shame one or two didn't come off because it would've changed our season and perception. If we somehow stay up I hope the policy continues, I just hope we can be more persuasive and a bit more aggressive for overseas players. 

Best post of the day so far.

• Admin
3 hours ago, NOTBLUE said:

As I said on another thread,the king is dead,long live the King,who ever comes in will get my support.Even if I am totally underwhelmed with the choice ,as I was when SC was appointed,they deserve a chance.SC certainly surprised me so here's hoping.

Sadly that is our only realistic option - we'll be here a lot longer than whoever is the next boss - Supporting City is in the blood

22 minutes ago, The Bard said:

He won this league with 100+ points 3 seasons ago. That might be it.

He also took Southampton to the brink of relegation from this league a few years ago. 

Im not saying he would be bad for us, but people on here are talking as if he's far better than he is, again, not saying he's a bad manager, just that people are conveniently ignoring things they don't want to see

Archived