IGNORED

A gentle reminder

The Journalist

It's worth remembering that, whoever we appoint to replace Steve Cotterill, it's probably worth giving him a wee while to show us what he can do before we get on his back.

I only say this because 242 of you - 55% in a three-option poll - voted "No thanks!" before the man who subsequently led us to our first league title in 60 years was unveiled as our new manager.

Would it also be unfair of me to say, reading back through this, that some of his biggest recent critics never really wanted him in the first place? I'll let you decide on that one.

• Admin
10 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

It's worth remembering that, whoever we appoint to replace Steve Cotterill, it's probably worth giving him a wee while to show us what he can do before we get on his back.

I only say this because 242 of you - 55% in a three-option poll - voted "No thanks!" before the man who subsequently led us to our first league title in 60 years was unveiled as our new manager.

Would it also be unfair of me to say, reading back through this, that some of his biggest recent critics never really wanted him in the first place? I'll let you decide on that one.

Very true - but someone else may have got us a good FA Cup run too ?:ph34r:

12 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

We only really started this on Tuesday. And now he's gone!

There's a big difference between not wanting a manager before he's appointed and getting on his back once he's appointed.  I suspect I was someone who voted "no thanks" on that poll (certainly that would have been my vote, if I'd bothered to do so) but once he was appointed, I got behind him as I would with any manager and I think most of us who were skeptical originally did the same.  And will for the new guy too. 

The reverse is often true too. Admittedly, I never ever wanted Coppell, and at the time was in a miniscule minority, but I've  always thought he's a bottler after his Man City farce and was proven to be right, but equally I really wanted Derek McInnes and Sean O'Driscoll and look how they turned out!! Hindsight is pointless. 

9 minutes ago, Andy Horsman said:

The reverse is often true too. Admittedly, I never ever wanted Coppell, and at the time was in a miniscule minority, but I've  always thought he's a bottler after his Man City farce and was proven to be right, but equally I really wanted Derek McInnes and Sean O'Driscoll and look how they turned out!! Hindsight is pointless. 

Absolutely.  Weirdly I didn't want Coppell 'cos I wanted O'Driscoll instead!  And I do genuinely wonder if his appointment would have worked far better then than when he actually got the job.  But yeah, I think we as fans as need to recognise we know very little about managers' personalities, how they interact with board and players (or indeed the players' personalities and what they respond to) and various things that are vital to know who the best manager for the job is,.  As fans, we simply don't know enough to have an informed opinion on who the new manager should be.

14 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

I make no apologies for bumping this today.

Some people will want Lee, someone people won't. Fine. Football is about opinions.

But talk of protests? Tearing up season tickets? Booing when he comes out for his first game? Just ridiculous. Let's see how it pans out first.

Be very underwhelmed if Lee is appointed but I will certainly give him a chance if he is appointed, after all I was underwhelmed when Cotts was appointed so what do I know

Just now, gordie said:

Be very underwhelmed if Lee is appointed but I will certainly give him a chance if he is appointed, after all I was underwhelmed when Cotts was appointed so what do I know

This is it in a nutshell,give the bloke a chance and we might be pleasantly surprised ,he'll get my full support.

18 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

I make no apologies for bumping this today.

Some people will want Lee, someone people won't. Fine. Football is about opinions.

But talk of protests? Tearing up season tickets? Booing when he comes out for his first game? Just ridiculous. Let's see how it pans out first.

It's the bollocks our boardroom spout that really annoys me. Do I think LJ is the wrong choice? Yes. Will I back him if appointed,? Yes. Does he fit the remit the board have told us for our so called ambitions? No.

The problem is, the club doesn't have the time to "give him a chance" - we'll be relegated.

What the club needs here is someone that can "hit the ground running", that knows what to do to save us from relegation.

Or is everyone already resigned to relegation and considering how he will fare in League One?  Perhaps that's the plan - the board have decided we're going down and they're gonna give Johnson the chance to get us back up...?

On 15 January 2016 at 11:10, LondonBristolian said:

There's a big difference between not wanting a manager before he's appointed and getting on his back once he's appointed.  I suspect I was someone who voted "no thanks" on that poll (certainly that would have been my vote, if I'd bothered to do so) but once he was appointed, I got behind him as I would with any manager and I think most of us who were skeptical originally did the same.  And will for the new guy too. 

My thoughts exactly. Of those 242 who didn't want Cotterill (myself included), I dare say the vast majority then backed him once he was in the job - quite right too.

3 minutes ago, Slack Bladder said:

I am genuinely surprised by the prospect of Lee being our manager at this time.

Of course he will get my full backing, any new manager will.

But you can knock me down with a feather right now.

I was lead to believe we had some top mangers interested in the job, to match the boards Premiership ambitions.

Presumably you are referring to the "you'd be surprised" comment from Mark Ashton. Perhaps the surprise was that no one had applied at all.

6 minutes ago, Slack Bladder said:

I am genuinely surprised by the prospect of Lee being our manager at this time.

Of course he will get my full backing, any new manager will.

But you can knock me down with a feather right now.

I was lead to believe we had some top mangers interested in the job, to match the boards Premiership ambitions.

To be fair, the board have only said that the caliber of the applicants has been surprising....perhaps they were expecting some top quality applications, but only ended up with the three best candidates being Paul Ince, John Barnes and Dean Saunders!!!  All of a sudden LLJ doesn't seem too bad, does he?!?

4 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

To be fair, the board have only said that the caliber of the applicants has been surprising....perhaps they were expecting some top quality applications, but only ended up with the three best candidates being Paul Ince, John Barnes and Dean Saunders!!!  All of a sudden LLJ doesn't seem too bad, does he?!?

We can't attract any players, now it seems we can't attract any managers either.

19 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Presumably you are referring to the "you'd be surprised" comment from Mark Ashton. Perhaps the surprise was that no one had applied at all.

I think the surprise was the lack of scope that our recruitment apparently went into.

The two qualifying questions appear to have been;

1. Does the owner like him?

2. Did your Dad nearly get us in the Prem?

Not exactly comprehensive, is it?

36 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

It's the bollocks our boardroom spout that really annoys me. Do I think LJ is the wrong choice? Yes. Will I back him if appointed,? Yes. Does he fit the remit the board have told us for our so called ambitions? No.

This totally sums us up. The board need to shut the f up with their plastic ambition.

Archived