IGNORED

Mr. Nice or Mr. Nasty

myol'man

Seems to me that here at City, and in football generally, it's the managers with a mean streak who succeed.

At Ashton Gate in the last decade or so we've had Tinnion, Millen and O'Driscoll who all appear to have been thoroughly nice fellows, but who have all eventually failed.

On the other hand, the only 2 who have enjoyed success here have been Gary Johnson and Steve Cotterill, apparently both right bar stewards  when they needed to be, and both who stood up to the board and their '5 pillars' policy .

Away from here you only have to look at Alex Ferguson, Bill Shankley, Brian Clough, and more recently Jose Mourinho to see how the real winners go about their business.

So what kind of manager do we want?

A nice guy who chats to the parents of the youth team, is pals with all the local hacks and laughs and jokes with the fans?

OR A WINNER?

29 minutes ago, myol'man said:

Seems to me that here at City, and in football generally, it's the managers with a mean streak who succeed.

At Ashton Gate in the last decade or so we've had Tinnion, Millen and O'Driscoll who all appear to have been thoroughly nice fellows, but who have all eventually failed.

On the other hand, the only 2 who have enjoyed success here have been Gary Johnson and Steve Cotterill, apparently both right bar stewards  when they needed to be, and both who stood up to the board and their '5 pillars' policy .

Away from here you only have to look at Alex Ferguson, Bill Shankley, Brian Clough, and more recently Jose Mourinho to see how the real winners go about their business.

So what kind of manager do we want?

A nice guy who chats to the parents of the youth team, is pals with all the local hacks and laughs and jokes with the fans?

OR A WINNER?

A winner. But it's not one or the other. And if you're implying Steve cotteril was a winner then yes you'd be correct...about last season. 

I distinctly recall when Southampton sacked Nigel Adkins after a brilliant championship season and a mediocre start to their first premier league one there was uproar - "football's got no loyalty these days!", "disgusting treatment of a loyal servant", "look what he did last season, give him more time". Well, Southampton well and truly kicked on. We can be the same. Sometimes a manager can take you as far as he can and no further. Even if we had survived this season with cotteril who's really convinced we'd have stormed up the lease next. Right decision in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Robin101 said:

A winner. But it's not one or the other. And if you're implying Steve cotteril was a winner then yes you'd be correct...about last season. 

I distinctly recall when Southampton sacked Nigel Adkins after a brilliant championship season and a mediocre start to their first premier league one there was uproar - "football's got no loyalty these days!", "disgusting treatment of a loyal servant", "look what he did last season, give him more time". Well, Southampton well and truly kicked on. We can be the same. Sometimes a manager can take you as far as he can and no further. Even if we had survived this season with cotteril who's really convinced we'd have stormed up the lease next. Right decision in my opinion.

I'm not talking about the last manager, I'm asking about the next one.

Archived