IGNORED

Radio Bristol Playing With Facts

handsofclay

Today on Radio Bristol I heard that City had had 8 managers in the last 6 years. That sounded horrendous. However, I soon came to realise they were twisting the facts to make something sound far worse than it is. For instance, those 8 managers would include Millen twice, once for a couple of months as caretaker, and the last minutes of Johnson's reign and the first minutes of the manager that we will be appointing in due course.

However, really to give a fair balance if Johnson is to be included and the new manager the time frameshould commence from when Johnson was appointed and end where our new manager's term finishes. Thus, if the new manager lasts 2 years it should then read as 7 managers in 13 years (2005 to 2018). Doesn't sound quite so bad then does it and when one considers that Coppell was only with us for two matches during that period even better.

Facts can be used or twisted in all sorts of ways to make something appear worse than it is. When Kennedy was assassinated for instance, it could be said that upon LBJ taking office the USA was unstable because they had had 3 presidents in 34 months. At that point that would've been true. However, it could also be said that when LBJ was replaced in Jan 69, that the USA had had 3 presidents in 16 years (the same 3 presidents as the 3 in 34 months btw). I do wish journalists would present us with a less sensationalized view on events.

The BBC is amazingly adept at bending narratives to spin a particular slant on any situation. If you've only just become aware of this fact you might like to have a read of this site:-

http://biasedbbc.org/

It is made up ordinary people exposing their manipulation of any given situation to suit their own view. You may never watch the BBC news in quite the same light again.

I notice they've been playing the clip of Lansdown saying 'For the record I didn't say no to one signing this summer' over and over too. Stirring things a bit.

I was fuming this morning as well when they had some gas idiot on from Patchway claiming to be a City fan. The presenter allowed him to call City a disgrace, corrupt, the stadium characterless, the red kit dull and rounded things off by saying Kevin Keegan should be the next manager (I am not making this up).

In the meantime the clueless presenter was happily going along with this thinking everything was normal. Absolute toy town station and a complete embarrassment.

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

No agenda to be fair, just incompetence. The presenter clearly didn't know the first thing about football and came across as patronising.

This is true. Few of the news staff and presenters know much about the game.  I'm not sure the details highlighted above are particularly dreadful though.

Was more shocked to hear the fan on lunchtime PW think Holloway should be appointed! :yawn:

The 9.00 am show was touted as majoring on the story and so I was reluctantly sucked in. The presenter confessed to not knowing much, or having much interest in football, and spent the next hour superbly demonstrating exactly that. Station run by amateurs.

53 minutes ago, Ark at ee said:

The BBC is amazingly adept at bending narratives to spin a particular slant on any situation. If you've only just become aware of this fact you might like to have a read of this site:-

http://biasedbbc.org/

It is made up ordinary people exposing their manipulation of any given situation to suit their own view. You may never watch the BBC news in quite the same light again.

I try not to watch (or listen to) BBC News these days - it's hopelessly left wing biased and we are paying for this through a compulsory licence fee.

Thankfully the licence fee model is doomed - as most under 30's are watching on I-Player and not paying the licence fee.

The BBC will eventually have to be privatised and then compete with the likes of Sky News which is far superior and much more cost efficient.

For example the presenters on Sky News do the weather forecast, but the BBC pays a fortune to the Met Office for one of their people to do that.

Archived