IGNORED

Why Cotterill was sacked

The Exiled Robin

Agree with a lot of what you say but I'm surprised this is your biggest beef:

In the main he has completely ignored the much-vaunted Academy and of all my beefs with the chap, the failure to promote an under 21 squad member to the bench on occasions we’ve only named six substitutes is simply outrageous.

Is it outrageous? If you had six subs and someone was walking past the stadium, would you stick them on the bench? I mean if the U21s we have are not even close to being ready for the first team, why put them there? It's humouring them for the sake of humouring them. It'd be great for them in terms of experience, yes, but it'd be better if they were getting that experience if there were a cat in hell's chance of them being involved or making a meaningful contribution, so he'd be better off waiting until they're at that point if they're not ready yet. 

2 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

8 hours ago, The Exiled Robin said:

Having given myself a day or so to get over the initial surprise and reaction, I examine the reasons I believe were behind this weeks events.

There are clearly many conflicting views on this, so I'm sure this will prove a hot topic - but it's good to talk so let me know your views!

http://exiledrobin.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/why-cotterill-was-sacked.html

Thanks all for reading

Thanks....very good 'summing up..only thing I could really disagree with would be leaving the team with Elliot/Pemberton for the duration..doubts there my friend.

It's got to be a  Man whose capable of taking us through to at least being a mid table championship team.

theres a few that could do it, however I think Pearson is the correct man, sooner now than ever too Mr L

9 hours ago, The Exiled Robin said:

Having given myself a day or so to get over the initial surprise and reaction, I examine the reasons I believe were behind this weeks events.

There are clearly many conflicting views on this, so I'm sure this will prove a hot topic - but it's good to talk so let me know your views!

http://exiledrobin.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/why-cotterill-was-sacked.html

Thanks all for reading

I had my criticisms of SC but there was no denying that he was totally serious about what he was doing. Can the same to said of our Club set-up especially regarding the off-repeated aim of achieving Premiership football? eg. What serious efforts have the Club made to promote BCFC NATIONALLY so as to support the Manager in attracting better quality players. In your piece you mention Steve Lansdowne quite frequently and Jon Lansdown once. You do not mention Keith Dawe and Keith Burt. Unless you do this, and examine the performance of these individuals who are in power at our Club, your piece can seen as whitewashing the "Board" and their so-called "strategy" at the expense of Steve Cotterill. In other words it is unfair to give the impression that what we have seen is Cotterill's failure alone in all this.

You also mention Steve Coppell. Could you please explain why the only "name" manager we have appointed  didn't want to hang around? Could you also explain why the Chairman of St. Johnstone FC knew there was something badly wrong with our "Board" at a distance of 420 miles during the negotiations for McInnes. e.g.. "Who really is the Chairman at Bristol City FC, is it the owner or the person who calls himself Chairman?"

My view, reinforced by the painful recent events (which as you say are in stark contrast to the unforgettably glorious season last year) is that our Club is run  in football terms by "amateur fantasists" who know how to delegate in their own businesses but find it impossible to delegate to people who know what's what in the game.

The appointment of a new Manager is an easier task in my view than signing a successful team of players. The "Board" have to convince one person suitably qualified name candidate that they are serious about achieving Premiership football, offer the right deal and then ALLOW THAT PERSON TO GET ON WITH IT WITHOUT INTERFERENCE.

We will see how serious the Club is in this endeavour.

1 hour ago, southvillekiddy said:

I had my criticisms of SC but there was no denying that he was totally serious about what he was doing. Can the same to said of our Club set-up especially regarding the off-repeated aim of achieving Premiership football? eg. What serious efforts have the Club made to promote BCFC NATIONALLY so as to support the Manager in attracting better quality players. In your piece you mention Steve Lansdowne quite frequently and Jon Lansdown once. You do not mention Keith Dawe and Keith Burt. Unless you do this, and examine the performance of these individuals who are in power at our Club, your piece can seen as whitewashing the "Board" and their so-called "strategy" at the expense of Steve Cotterill. In other words it is unfair to give the impression that what we have seen is Cotterill's failure alone in all this.

You also mention Steve Coppell. Could you please explain why the only "name" manager we have appointed  didn't want to hang around? Could you also explain why the Chairman of St. Johnstone FC knew there was something badly wrong with our "Board" at a distance of 420 miles during the negotiations for McInnes. e.g.. "Who really is the Chairman at Bristol City FC, is it the owner or the person who calls himself Chairman?"

My view, reinforced by the painful recent events (which as you say are in stark contrast to the unforgettably glorious season last year) is that our Club is run  in football terms by "amateur fantasists" who know how to delegate in their own businesses but find it impossible to appoint and delegate to people who know what's what in the game.

The appointment of a new Manager is an easier task in my view than signing a successful team of players. The "Board" have to convince one person suitably qualified name candidate that they are serious about achieving Premiership football, offer the right deal and then ALLOW THAT PERSON TO GET ON WITH IT WITHOUT INTERFERENCE.

Whilst accepting Cotterill's deficiencies this article read like the board were almost blameless and let's them off incredibly lightly in my opinion.

Most of us think they are at least partly culpable for the transfer shambles that went on in the summer and still continues.

Let's just see how the rest of this window pans out with him, eh?

1 hour ago, southvillekiddy said:

My view, reinforced by the painful recent events (which as you say are in stark contrast to the unforgettably glorious season last year) is that our Club is run  in football terms by "amateur fantasists" who know how to delegate in their own businesses but find it impossible to delegate to people who know what's what in the game.

For a long time I have thought that most of our "problems" really started at the time that Steve Lansdowne moved to Guernsey.

There is no doubt that he built a tremendous personal and working relationship with Gary Johnson, and that was behind the success we achieved under GJ. Once Sl was no longer in the chairman's office day to day things seemed to change. Is one of the problems that no one is really sure who is in charge/making decisions on a day to day basis?

There is so much the club has done well, but where it really counts - on the pitch - we do seem to have a habit of shooting ourselves in the foot far too often and clutching defeat from the jaws of victory and the latest major example was the summer transfer shambles. Perhaps we do need an appointment at board  level of someone with al the right experience at a club (s) that has/have achieved success,  in the way we hope to. Someone that knows how the transfer market works and at what level we can pitch for new players, so we don't end up with a thread bare squad and no cover on the bench. Someone who carries authority throughout the club because of what he ( or she) has achieved in the game. Do we have anyone of that calibre at the moment?

It might not be cheap, but I bet that Steve didn't pay peanuts when looking for top notch fund managers for Hargreaves Lansdown.

3 hours ago, southvillekiddy said:

We will indeed,see..but whomever takes the job will still have the fug of muddled leadership above him to navigate successfully to bring about what we all wish to see happen on the pitch.he has my humble best wishes..

1 hour ago, Shtanley said:

Not a single player has tweeted about Cotts going. When SOD went at least half a dozen tweeted about how gutted they were

For the strange public persona and the terrible football he was responsible for overseeing, apparently privately a very affible fellow.never judge a book its cover I guess...

3 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

For the strange public persona and the terrible football he was responsible for overseeing, apparently privately a very affible fellow.never judge a book its cover I guess...

Don't be daft - this is OTIB you're talking about.

3 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Not a single player has tweeted about Cotts going. When SOD went at least half a dozen tweeted about how gutted they were

This is true.

Said players also had a whip-around and bought him a box of kleenex and some menthol sweets.

It is all true.

Uncle TFR

Wow, thank you everyone. I'm overwhelmed by the number of you who have taken time out to thank me, it's really appreciated.

The main comment back was around Pemberton and Wade staying until the end of the season & my thinking behind that is really that anyone is a risk. We could appoint Moyes, Pearson, Warnock, Holloway or Mourinho and no-one would fill you with confidence at staying up this season. It's been a while since the most popular names on the list have scrabbled around in the lower reaches of the second tier so how would they know the options in the market, the best to target?

Whoever comes in, if anyone, will rely almost exclusively on the thoughts of the pair of incumbents anyway, it's naive to think someone new can watch a few training sessions and a single game and then know what to go and get.

Equally the squad were close to Cotterill, in the main, and still playing for him, so an essence of continuity (with the necessary flexibility as we saw today!) could be exactly what's needed to galvanise current players?

I just feel if they're doing that role anyway, it could see us through allowing us the time to find the right person for the long term aims.

I too noticed Tinman suddenly on Twitter this morning, RTing and liking my tweet which suggested the lad who's just signed might have better chance of first team now. Read into that what you will!

Anyway, thanks again - hopefully today was the turning point of our whole season. COYR!!

Archived