IGNORED

It's in the Daily Mail.

Roadrunner

It's in today's Daily Mail so it must be true.Bristol City will target Oxford manager Michael Appleton. Former Swindon boss Mark Cooper is also on their short list. If this is true do the board think either of these two can attract the players in over the next two weeks that will keep us up.Then push us on to a premiership club, as their statement says.Give me strength.If this happens and we go down. I hope and pray that the club is put up for sale. That some big money group buys us and put a board together who know how to achieve things. Yes I know Steve has been brilliant over the years with his funding and the stadium. Yes I know things could go wrong look at  Portsmouth and QPR. But I look at Man City, Chelsea, Bournemouth and Watford. The press and fans all were saying this will end it tears. Well  lets give it a try. I just can not put up with the thought of managers like Appleton and Cooper being on our  short list. The papers should be talking about Moyes, Pearson, and Redknapp.

if it's true, and god knows the Mail is a snot rag of a paper, it confirms my opinion stated elsewhere that SL has no serious intention of investing in the footballing know how to get us into the top flight.  This kind of second class candidate might be able to motivate a small inexperienced squad to stay up or learn to play a new, less predictable  formation but you cannot compete seriously at this level without big investment 

The next appointment will show where our ambition lies. We either try for Pearson and top end experienced managers, or we go down the lets take a chance on the lower league un-proven at this level. Bristol City, it's over to you !

17 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Bristol City will target Oxford manager Michael Appleton. Former Swindon boss Mark Cooper is also on their short list

If any of this is true, it just shows the board do not really have the aspirations they talk about. It will just me more of the same for us.

Maybe that's what we want really, yo-yoing between Championship and league 1. It could be quite dull being stuck in the bottom half of the Prem year after year :fear:

What are we more associated as by others/the media?

Ambitious or tinpot.

Better question, what do we want to be known as. It will/can be affected by who we appoint.

Its not rocket science and SL has the money and the 'ambition'.

So, let's see how SL wants to play it, this club is his train set.

32 minutes ago, Lympsham Red said:

The Daily Mail is not renowned for his high-calibre reporting and super accurate sources...

A couple of years ago there was a little study carried out somewhere about what papers were most reliable for rumours (going to try and find it today again).

From what I recall, the likes of The Sun, The Daily Mail and The Daily Sport were the least reliable (i.e. the lowest percentage of printed/posted rumours turning out to be true).  

The Guardian and Indiependant were the most reliable, but even then, something like only 40% of rumours from them were true, so I'd be cautious on this.

44 minutes ago, Lympsham Red said:

The Daily Mail is not renowned for his high-calibre reporting and super accurate sources...

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

It's in today's Daily Mail so it must be true.Bristol City will target Oxford manager Michael Appleton. 

So they've looked at the betting odds.

It's in today's Daily Mail so it must be true.Bristol City will target Oxford manager Michael Appleton. Former Swindon boss Mark Cooper is also on their short list. If this is true do the board think either of these two can attract the players in over the next two weeks that will keep us up.Then push us on to a premiership club, as their statement says.Give me strength.If this happens and we go down. I hope and pray that the club is put up for sale. That some big money group buys us and put a board together who know how to achieve things. Yes I know Steve has been brilliant over the years with his funding and the stadium. Yes I know things could go wrong look at  Portsmouth and QPR. But I look at Man City, Chelsea, Bournemouth and Watford. The press and fans all were saying this will end it tears. Well  lets give it a try. I just can not put up with the thought of managers like Appleton and Cooper being on our  short list. The papers should be talking about Moyes, Pearson, and Redknapp.

You also have to keep in mind this is the same paper that said di canio would get the job just before cotts was announced. So.....

21 minutes ago, Harry said:

I'd much rather believe the tweets of a very knowledgeable Leicester journo, who yesterday put out Pearson story.

I'd rather believe it to, not sure I do though :blink:

I just don't know how the papers get this information.  Surely SL and the rest of the board, for what they are worth, sit down in a room and make a list of managers and decide who to approach.  I would suspect they and they alone know the list.  I doubt they get the PR department to photocopy it and send it out to the Mail and Bristol Post.  Therefore these journalists can just throw out any old names and we believe it!!

The fact that you'd want Harry Redknapp anywhere near our football club just makes me glad that you don't (I assume) have enough money to buy the club! 

37 minutes ago, samo II said:

A couple of years ago there was a little study carried out somewhere about what papers were most reliable for rumours (going to try and find it today again).

From what I recall, the likes of The Sun, The Daily Mail and The Daily Sport were the least reliable (i.e. the lowest percentage of printed/posted rumours turning out to be true).  

The Guardian and Indiependant were the most reliable, but even then, something like only 40% of rumours from them were true, so I'd be cautious on this.

It would be interesting know how reliable the OTIB rumours are. I'd guess the accuracy would be less than 1%

46 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

It would be interesting know how reliable the OTIB rumours are. I'd guess the accuracy would be less than 1%

45 minutes ago, samo II said:

That's a pretty generous figure.

Our win ratio is fast approaching that !

2 minutes ago, deadredfred said:

Not that it means anything at all with his family connections to City, but I was in corporate for the Fulham game and Cooper was sat next to me.

Totally irrelevant yes. But as ITK as I will ever be about anything. That is all

Cooper simply has a soft spot for us (for obvious reasons). Would like to one day, but he needs to prove himself before there is any 'right time' to manage us.

That is all.

3 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Now that you mention selling the club i met a friend here a couple of nights ago who, not being a football fanatic and knowing I am, asked and i quote, 'i have a contact in HK who has enquired about buying an English football club and who has about a billion US to spend. Do you have any contacts in England?'

I of course immediately discounted BCFC as a possible suitor though. Was i correct to do so?

1 minute ago, havanatopia said:

Now that you mention selling the club i met a friend here a couple of nights ago who, not being a football fanatic amd knowing I am, asked and i quote, 'i have a contact in HK who has enquired about buying an English football club and who has about a billion US to spend. Do you have any contacts in England?'

I of course immediately discounted BCFC as a possible suitor though. Was i correct to do so?

He could buy us and also buy a premier league club with the change.

Archived