IGNORED

Wes Starts Finally

REDOXO

Good to see, formation is interesting. Presumably we had used this formation up until Cotts got the sack in training. Indicates Wade and Pemberton didn't necessarily believe in 532 to throw it out the window late on.

No-one expecting much from today, good chance to try something new. Good luck to Wes and the rest of the boys.

9 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Excellent news. However he needs a run of games not a one off. I hope he shows enough to make himself undroppable.

On thing this line up has that has been missing from other lines ups is pace; Bryan, Reid, Burns, Kodjia - can see us breaking well on them.

1 minute ago, samo II said:

On thing this line up has that has been missing from other lines ups is pace; Bryan, Reid, Burns, Kodjia - can see us breaking well on them.

It's certainly more exciting than the normal line-up. Glad Pemberton and Wade decided to make some much needed changes.

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Spoke really well on RB post match too 

Very honest and down to earth

Even thanked SC for helping him !!

Good on ya

Blimey. Very gracious, sounds like @djb6162 raised a good 'un. 

4 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Good to see, formation is interesting. Presumably we had used this formation up until Cotts got the sack in training. Indicates Wade and Pemberton didn't necessarily believe in 532 to throw it out the window late on.

No-one expecting much from today, good chance to try something new. Good luck to Wes and the rest of the boys.

Foggy you are not naive enough to think if SC was in charge today we would have played with a back 4??

What a game, Wes was terrific going forward and defensively. You can tell Wes and bobby know each others game. Good day at Office all round

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Don't expect to see @djb6162in a fit state to be on the keyboard tonight !!!!

:yawn:

Just back Bob , so will now definately have a long cool one and look forward to the tv highlights for a change.

thanks for all the fantastic messages from everyone and the private ones too,  and of course the hillarious ones as well, Mrs B did have a chuckle i must admit.

To be completely honest i think there is loads more to come from wes, he was blowing at 75, but thats what happens when your not playing i guess.

Joe and Wes were under strict instructions to keep both full backs out of the game which i think to a large degree they did.

personally i would have put agard on for wes for the last 10 , but the injury to baker and Del boy having to go off stopped that, so i guess fate played its part as well.

The  4-3-3 was 4:5:1 at times and a variation on that in the second half as well, but i thought the whole team were immense today and to think we ended up with Waggy wes Joe and Bobby on the same pitch, who would have bet on that before the game.

Really made up for scotty and his parents,  after an awful 6 months.

WBA game is a bonus, but I am hoping we can get something out of the Leeds game and bulld on today.

Finally, real guts from pembo and Wade today, and their courage paid dividends.

5 minutes ago, djb6162 said:

Just back Bob , so will now definately have a long cool one and look forward to the tv highlights for a change.

thanks for all the fantastic messages from everyone and the private ones too,  and of course the hillarious ones as well, Mrs B did have a chuckle i must admit.

To be completely honest i think there is loads more to come from wes, he was blowing at 75, but thats what happens when your not playing i guess.

Joe and Wes were under strict instructions to keep both full backs out of the game which i think to a large degree they did.

personally i would have put agard on for wes for the last 10 , but the injury to baker and Del boy having to go off stopped that, so i guess fate played its part as well.

The  4-3-3 was 4:5:1 at times and a variation on that in the second half as well, but i thought the whole team were immense today and to think we ended up with Waggy wes Joe and Bobby on the same pitch, who would have bet on that before the game.

WBA game is a bonus, but I am hoping we can get something out of the Leeds game and bulld on today.

Fair Play DJB - I hope you and Mrs B enjoyed every minute 

Wes looks to have added some bulk (muscle) in last 12 months and looks stronger overall - am I right or is my slightly fuzzy eyesight playing tricks ?

Genuinely thought he was excellent today and I would highlight the fact he snuffed out the threat of prob the best attacking left back in the division

Credit to JP and WE for identifying the threat

7 minutes ago, djb6162 said:

I was so pleased to see Waggy come on…a few more games and he'll be back up to speed!

Well done Wes too…and the rest of the boys. Great result.

5 minutes ago, djb6162 said:

Fantastic for you, whatever  highs you have in your own life its nothing compared to the joy you get from your kids being successful at anything.

2 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

The road in football as in life isn't easy but those who succeed are the one's with the greatest determination. 

Gall eich mab gyflawni eifreuddwydion. Pob lwc.

Diolch o galon am eich sylwadau caredig! Amdani nawr!! 

For every one else, Ciderred has basically said "wes can achieve his dreams"

Mrs B who speaks fluent welsh has responded by thanking him from the heart.

So back to english

"as  blackadder once said, "you need a mouth full of flem just pronounce the place names"

I thought Wes showed great maturity & discipline today. He put in a shift for the team. George Friend didn't go on many of his marauding runs today & I would say Wes had a lot to do with that.

So pleased for him to get the winner. Dare I say it his best position, right wing in a front 3 Mr B?

1 minute ago, Taylor10 said:

I thought was showed great maturity & discipline today. He put in a shift for the team. George Friend didn't go on many of his marauding runs today & I would say Wes had a lot to do with that.

So pleased for him to get the winner. Dare I say it his best position, right wing in a front 3 Mr B?

Oh yes, agree entirely on the positional bit.

@djb6162I thought he had a great game, certainly looked to have matured as a footballer, less boy and more man if you know what I mean. Linked up well with Joe and a Bobby, and when Waggy came on it was like going back to the good times in how we played. Hope to see more of them all. 

1 minute ago, djb6162 said:

Diolch o galon am eich sylwadau caredig! Amdani nawr!! 

For every one else, Ciderred has basically said "wes can achieve his dreams"

Mrs B who speaks fluent welsh has responded by thanking him from the heart.

So back to english

"as  blackadder once said, "you need a mouth full of flem just pronounce the place names"

You must be very proud and his radio interview shows what a mature and intelligent young man he is, in these days of young footballers sounding off on social media as if they invented the game, his interview was a joy for me and I thank him for that and of course his incredibly timely goal.

17 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Fair Play DJB - I hope you and Mrs B enjoyed every minute 

Wes looks to have added some bulk (muscle) in last 12 months and looks stronger overall - am I right or is my slightly fuzzy eyesight playing tricks ?

Genuinely thought he was excellent today and I would highlight the fact he snuffed out the threat of prob the best attacking left back in the division

Credit to JP and WE for identifying the threat

Loads of gym work Bob, and he needed to, he said that George Friend ( their LB) is a real beast and absolutely solid as a rock strength wise.

thats the difference in this league, its not just the skill, its the power as well.

2 hours ago, djb6162 said:

Really pleased for you Mr B, Wes was superb today.

You may recall from our personal exchange that I thought Wes was worthy as an impact player. That's based on when he was starting and then latterly subbing during SOD's reign.

But he was worthy of the start today, and was up there in terms of his contribution, he's come on a lot in the past couple of years.

Should Wes have been starting before today? Probably, on todays performance. But was the previous manager wrong in not recognizing that? I think that would be harsh, the manager was doing his best, as he saw it. I'm just picking up on another comment you made earlier this week.

That aside, I'm proud, proud to have 3 local lads starting for my team, counting Wes as a "local" lad, which of course is stretching it!

Onwards and upwards, for Wes and Bristol City.

If both Bobby and Wes keep playing a part for the rest of the season then hopefully we can trigger a year extension on their contracts.

Whether they ultimately make it as this level I don't know.  Wes at 21 the more likely.  Bobby at almost 23 is probably at a crossroads.  The final 20 games of this season will dictate.

I said in the summer when many were writing them off that they may have really benefitted from their loans last season. On paper stats-wise, Wes's didn't look overly productive, but at least he played.  Bobby's was far more influential at Plymouth.  Playing in our first team will mean playing with better players, and for some players that raises their game too.  A lot of people on here wanted to bomb them out over the summer.  Just as well we didn't.

It is rarer to breakthrough at 23, but I'd love to see Bobby make it (with us ideally).  I saw him for the first time v Rovers in that JPT game and thought how good he was at receiving the ball and his touch moving it to where he wanted to go next....until O'Toole started lumping him.

Wes has the added benefit of being a bit more versatile.  I know we've generally got a youngish squad, but I sense these two youngsters can provide the team with a real boost.

On 17 January 2016 at 10:21, Red Right Hand said:

I`m just wondering when Wes knew he was starting. Obviously Bobby would have known he was due to LF`s injury but I`d be interested to know when Wes found out.

I`m sure Mr.B will know but will understand if he feels he can`t say anything.

First day of training

the friday, wes joe and bobby told together exactly what was expetcted of them 

I've been moaning on for weeks about the lack of opportunity for Wes especially in the later stages of the game when Wilbs generally wilts. 

To see him play 90 mins and put in a great shift was genuinely heart warming. That track back late on had us all up and  cheering as he was obviously starting to tire.

Massive congratulations to the lad onwards and upwards

18 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Am I right in thinking that was Wes's third goal for us, each one a header?

Cheltenham in the JPT, a consultation when we lost heavily at home to someone I can't remember, and then the most important one Saturday.

I`m sure he got one last season in front of the building site - late winner v Chesterfield? Was a shot as well I think.

Archived