IGNORED

formation?

SecretSam

"I think if Cotterill had still been in charge and played his usual 3-5-2 we might have gotten something out of that game.

As it were, the interim bosses changed tactics to a 4-3-3 and we clearly weren't prepared for that.

Still no excuse though, Bristol City more than deserved the points, we created next to nothing in the second half whereas they battered us."

Found this post on the Boro forum and  think it is bang on.

9 minutes ago, Kodjia 22 said:

Yes, we lined up in what looked like a  4-5-1, with a back four of Williams, Baker, Flint, Ayling. Pemberton said he need to pack (no pun intended) the midfield because of their midfield 3, and if we had 3 in the middle they would have murdered us.

Yes I agree, Pembo said post match that we had to go to 4-5-1 to combat George Friend "The best left back in the league".  Wes Burns did that job outstandingly well and showed what many of us thought. His curving run in the first half when he produced a shot on target (yes remember what that looks like!) was fantastic and produced a good save.

Was a 4-5-1 in defence but as we grew into the game in the second half, it became more a 4-2-3-1 as Joe, Bobby and Wes grew into the game and we penned them in. I do think that 'boro will have been preparing for a 3-5-2 until an hour before the match where the team sheet was named and I expect Mr Karanka was somewhat perplexed at what was before his eyes!

Archived