IGNORED

Boro and the ref..

GrahamC

Probably an off day for them yesterday and I thought Karanka was unnecessarily cautious, but how nice to play against a side that didn't dive, time waste or moan to the ref all game.

Afterwards Karanka was also refreshingly honest, saying we deserved to win and that they were poor, no fictitious excuses.

Good luck to them for the season.

As for the ref, it also sounds like you are saying it just when you win, but I thought he had a super game and in conjunction with his linesman got almost everything right.

The guy sat next to me wondered if the best sides get allocated the best refs, on yesterday's evidence as Boro are top they do.

Seen one decent ref at the gate this season - Lee Mason.  That's not because we won, but because he got the most decisions right from my point of view.

There have been some shockers.

Some have given us nothing.

Some have been equally bad for both teams....those in some ways are the worst.

Glad the game had a good one yesterday.

17 minutes ago, East End Old Boy said:

Good topic and agree with the points raised. I thought the referee was good and Middlesbrough contributed properly, although when you win your judgement can be favourably clouded, nice for clarification!

We have had some good games against Bro' in the past, so why should yesterdays have been any different.  Always had a soft spot for them, always try to play football and honest with it.  Hope they get back to the Prem this season.  BTW does anyone else think Albert missed that chance on purpose?

25 minutes ago, East End Old Boy said:

Good topic and agree with the points raised. I thought the referee was good and Middlesbrough contributed properly, although when you win your judgement can be favourably clouded, nice for clarification!

We all look at things a bit more positively when we win. But you are all very fair in your comments.

Boro did not swallow dive at every opportunity, neither did the abnormally waste time. There were some meaty challenges, especially in midfield and not one on either side did anything except get up and get on with it.

The Boro manager's comments were mirrored by their local paper report and they were both gracious in defeat.

Yes, we deserved to win and that is fact not bias. I hope Boro go on to win automatic promotion.

7 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Thought Stewart Downing's interview on Boro's Player (available using the same login details as City Player) was a little dismissive. Felt they were in control... not sure about that in the 2nd half and rather dismissively referred to Wilbs as "the big lad".

So Downing thought they were in control does he?  So much in control that I don't remember Oskins on RB mentioning his name more than a couple of times!

37 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Thought Stewart Downing's interview on Boro's Player (available using the same login details as City Player) was a little dismissive. Felt they were in control... not sure about that in the 2nd half and rather dismissively referred to Wilbs as "the big lad".

They found Downing then? Scott Murray must've found him when he was doing the kit.

1 hour ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

We have had some good games against Bro' in the past, so why should yesterdays have been any different.  Always had a soft spot for them, always try to play football and honest with it.  Hope they get back to the Prem this season.  BTW does anyone else think Albert missed that chance on purpose?

I said the same myself after alberts lob!! thank you albert

2 hours ago, Libertine1 said:

They found Downing then? Scott Murray must've found him when he was doing the kit.

I had no idea Downing was on the pitch until about 80mins. 

I was row 3 in the corner of the Dolman (where they celebrated the goal) but thought he was quiet. Don't remember him contributing at all.

Leadbitter gave the ref some choice words after they gave away a free kick about 25-30 yards out, but agree that on the whole they all just got on with it. Contributed to a great match  

5 minutes ago, deadredfred said:

I had no idea Downing was on the pitch until about 80mins. 

I was row 3 in the corner of the Dolman (where they celebrated the goal) but thought he was quiet. Don't remember him contributing at all.

Leadbitter gave the ref some choice words after they gave away a free kick about 25-30 yards out, but agree that on the whole they all just got on with it. Contributed to a great match  

Me neither! Fair play to Boro though, contributed to a good game, didn`t time waste or go down like they`d been shot by a sniper in the stand and just got on with it.

It was only when he threatened a quick break away between 80-90 mins that I realised he was on!

It was during our pressure of a few consecutive corners and free kicks near their box then suddenly they cleared and broke away. 

Must admit my arse was a rabbits nose at that point but we had at least three back instantly to cover, pretty sure Burns was one of them. Awesome. I'm grinning like an idiot writing this - great performance. 

6 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Probably an off day for them yesterday and I thought Karanka was unnecessarily cautious, but how nice to play against a side that didn't dive, time waste or moan to the ref all game.

Afterwards Karanka was also refreshingly honest, saying we deserved to win and that they were poor, no fictitious excuses.

Good luck to them for the season.

As for the ref, it also sounds like you are saying it just when you win, but I thought he had a super game and in conjunction with his linesman got almost everything right.

The guy sat next to me wondered if the best sides get allocated the best refs, on yesterday's evidence as Boro are top they do.

I thought you were quiet yesterday! 

2 hours ago, deadredfred said:

It was only when he threatened a quick break away between 80-90 mins that I realised he was on!

It was during our pressure of a few consecutive corners and free kicks near their box then suddenly they cleared and broke away. 

Must admit my arse was a rabbits nose at that point but we had at least three back instantly to cover, pretty sure Burns was one of them. Awesome. I'm grinning like an idiot writing this - great performance. 

Think that was when Wes tracked back and took a yellow for the team? 

Archived