IGNORED

What a stich up

bs3

I phoned up the Twentyman show at 6.20 to ask Mark Ashton some questions. First time caller to the show but guest what they didnt put me on. Same old callers blowing smoke up the backside of Ashton and Twentyman only reading out texts supporting him. Talk about setting the agenda. 

Mark Ashton was full of management ,  reminded me of SoD.

I wanted to know if he was part of the decision  to sack Cotts. If not why not . Why haven't we got some one lined up already. Why sack some one in the transfere window , its smacks of panic decision with no planning for the future. 

I was right up to put my point view and take him to task, but what to we get , tame callers who don't rock the boat. What a f00king joke of a programme. No wonder Twentyman show got the boot a couple of years ago. Same boring callers.

4 minutes ago, bs3 said:

I phoned up the Twentyman show at 6.20 to ask Mark Ashton some questions. First time caller to the show but guest what they didnt put me on. Same old callers blowing smoke up the backside of Ashton and Twentyman only reading out texts supporting him. Talk about setting the agenda. 

I wanted to know if he was part of the decision  to sack Cotts. If not why not . Why haven't we got some one lined up already. Why sack some one in the transfere window , its smacks of panic decision with no planning for the future. 

I was right up to put my point view and take him to task, but what to we get , tame callers who don't rock the boat. What a f00king joke of a programme. No wonder Twentyman show got the boot a couple of years ago. Same boring callers.

You can't be suprised by this surely

7 minutes ago, bs3 said:

Would have been interesting to hear his reply to such direct questions.

I think he was asked whether he'd have come in if SC was still manager.

He said yes - but the point is would Cotts. have accepted him?

Would Cotts. have been happy with the lesser responsibilities of 'head coach' rather than being the manager? Very doubtful imo.

The departure of one and the appointment of the other did come very close together....

Overall though, got to be said, he came over very well.

5 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

I doubt he had anything to do with the decision.. he was not even employed at that point either.

So Cotts get sacked on Thursday , Ashton announnce as new CEO on Saturday. So was he interviewed and given the job on Friday. Surley he must have known for one , asked for his view. The timing stinks .

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Would have been interesting to hear his reply to such direct questions.

I think he was asked whether he'd have come in if SC was still manager.

He said yes - but the point is would Cotts. have accepted him?

Would Cotts. have been happy with the lesser responsibilities of 'head coach' rather than being the manager? Very doubtful imo.

The departure of one and the appointment of the other did come very close together....

Overall though, got to be said, he came over very well.

I agree.

We'll never know, but the thought has occurred that the arrival of one and the strangely timed departure of the other might possibly be connected 

1 hour ago, robin4ever said:

He has been at the club a month ... Initially consultancy and then his new position .

Very much seems as though he may have been instrumental in the decision to sack Cotterill following that consultancy, so already I am not a fan.

Interesting that after his playing career ended before it began, he realised his interest is in the business side of football rather than the coaching etc side.

Very lucid speaker, to be fair answered questions very logically, said all the right things about Bristol being a big club.

Jury out for me at the moment.

But as for the first caller being an Oxford fan singing his praises, if MA can sell Bristol City with the same effectiveness as that act of self publicism, I will be very impressed!

1 hour ago, bs3 said:

Totally agree with this BS3, I tried calling too!! I was going to ask very similar questions as you, and wanted to remind him that I think its important the new man gets a say on players coming in, so pull your finger out on the managers appointment.

But whenever you wanna ask a awkward question either by phone or text when GT is on, it will never get read out, I sent a text Saturday too wanting some direct points made, but once again it was not read out. I find the show much better on a Tuesday night game and Rich or John are reading out the text's, they will read them out no matter how awkward they may be. All the people that got through were defiantly hand picked " Oh please Mr Ashton don't over look Pembo for the job"

GT has NO bottle whatsoever. Radio Bristol if you read this you should be get rid of GT for good. There's a short cockney that is currently managing Cheltenham that would do a far better job than GT, about time we had someone from the red side on RB instead of that Gashead GT!!

Sorry rant over :grr:

47 minutes ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Question I'd like to have heard him answer is quite what role a COO or CEO has in football. Why is football now so complicated and corporate?

Answer would've been: "Good question, and I'm glad you asked it. Let's be clear, they're just titles and we all want the same thing regarding the forward path of Bristol City. It has to be the right fit."

Didn't he say he was a consultant for McInnes in his time here? Then left and has been in contact with the board since leaving Oxford in October?

It would have been nice to hear how he responded to direct questions but come on, give the guy a break - just like the transfers though, he wouldn't have been at liberty to discuss what went on behind closed doors.

Not questioning his application or passion, he wants to succeed as much as he wants city to succeed - so far his job has been to smile, tell fans and media about where he's come from and be professional.

Think it was too early to interview like that, pointless as he was inevitably going to get a lot of 'good luck' messages and 'announce ...' Much like Twitter, there's a lot of sh*t to wade through before you get meaty stuff.

Now's not the time to get excitable and challenging, with SL/KD on the other hand, it would have been.

2 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I can assure you Cotts wouldn't have accepted Ashton. Assure you

I think I agree with that. That's why I have a nagging feeling the next manager would have to be a "yes Mr Ashton Sir" type of person........

Probably questions that are best not asked. SC has gone, whatever happened we have to accept it and move forward. Last thing we need right now is dirty laundry out in public, recriminations etc, We just need to focus on attracting the right players, backing JP and WE, staying in the Championship, and moving on.

2 hours ago, bs3 said:

Its why a PR man full of bollo has been wheeled out...this whole episode is rank...

1 hour ago, bcfcmike said:

Totally agree with this BS3, I tried calling too!! I was going to ask very similar questions as you, and wanted to remind him that I think its important the new man gets a say on players coming in, so pull your finger out on the managers appointment.

But whenever you wanna ask a awkward question either by phone or text when GT is on, it will never get read out, I sent a text Saturday too wanting some direct points made, but once again it was not read out. I find the show much better on a Tuesday night game and Rich or John are reading out the text's, they will read them out no matter how awkward they may be. All the people that got through were defiantly hand picked " Oh please Mr Ashton don't over look Pembo for the job"

GT has NO bottle whatsoever. Radio Bristol if you read this you should be get rid of GT for good. There's a short cockney that is currently managing Cheltenham that would do a far better job than GT, about time we had someone from the red side on RB instead of that Gashead GT!!

Sorry rant over :grr:

The reason difficult questions don't often get read out on local radio or in local papers is because the stations are in a very awkward position. Before the Internet or the days of bcfc player the club needed the radio or papers in order to get their message out, to publicise, to have a connection to fans. Now though clubs can get these messages out in various platforms. The clubs no longer need the radio, but the radio needs the clubs. To risk losing the participation of the club is....well not really worth it for the radio stations. So its disappointing I agree, but you can hardly blame them.

54 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

The reason difficult questions don't often get read out on local radio or in local papers is because the stations are in a very awkward position. Before the Internet or the days of bcfc player the club needed the radio or papers in order to get their message out, to publicise, to have a connection to fans. Now though clubs can get these messages out in various platforms. The clubs no longer need the radio, but the radio needs the clubs. To risk losing the participation of the club is....well not really worth it for the radio stations. So its disappointing I agree, but you can hardly blame them.

Basically that, clubs definiely control the media side of the thing a lot more these days, as you say platforms so varied. Fine balancing act for media.

7 hours ago, phantom said:

It wasn't his first day !

Second then? Third? Did anyone really expect him to come in and slag off the board's previous approach? Jesus wept some people don't live in the real world. I thought he gave a good account of himself, yes a few buzzwords and business speak but that's the way things work at executive level. Judge him at the end of the season.

Archived