IGNORED

Tonight - how do we play it?

'Orns

So, the cameras are back at the Gate, Premier League side coming down for a replay no one expected us to get, how do Pembo & Wadey play it?

Same formation / team as Saturday, and give it a right good go, knowing that we have a winnable game in R4 if we go through, or play it safe, knowing that Leeds is by far the bigger game in the context of the season? What would you do?

Go for it - play our strongest team. I've said it a few times now but the amount of travelling and two taxing games WBA have played (Chelsea, Southampton) shouldn't be underestimated. Even if it makes them 5% more fatigued it could make a difference.

It's a different conundrum for Pulis now as I don't reckon we'll play the 532 he's been preparing for previously; I reckon 433/4231 again. If Burns is ready to go again after Saturday his pace and directness is a different proposition they didn't face last time.

I really fancy us to give a good performance again; WBA didn't need this game. Arguably us having games in quick succession after SC's dismissal is good as it gives the players a chance to get into new habits and move on.

We've got a great chance tonight, and a prospect of a tie vs a lower league team at home. A really good opportunity for a cup run.

The support will be right up for it tonight too, spurring the players on. At times, Ashton Gate can be a special atmosphere; especially when the players really need us and right now they definitely do.

10 minutes ago, phantom said:

Go for it - winning breads success

A result tonight would give us a massive lift going up to Leeds

Don't you just hate it when you have a response in mind and you scroll down to find that some smart Arse has already posted it. 

Well done phantom. Bravo. 

Fast, fast and fast again.  Go at 'em from the whistle.  Jumpers for goalposts. Isn't it.

Play the same team as Saturday with the exception of Freeman for Kodjia with Burns playing up front on his own.  Use his pace, fresh legs.

Tell him he can come off when he's got his hattrick. Then replace with Wilbs to bash 'em up a bit.

They don't like it up 'em.

1 hour ago, Woodsy said:

So, the cameras are back at the Gate, Premier League side coming down for a replay no one expected us to get, how do Pembo & Wadey play it?

Same formation / team as Saturday, and give it a right good go, knowing that we have a winnable game in R4 if we go through, or play it safe, knowing that Leeds is by far the bigger game in the context of the season? What would you do?

I have been told.... that tonight we will be playing 4-5-1.

Wilbs up front on his own, Waggy starting. Baker 50/50.

18 minutes ago, TETBURY MASSIVE said:

I have been told.... that tonight we will be playing 4-5-1.

Wilbs up front on his own, Waggy starting. Baker 50/50.

Probably the pragmatic decision, but can't help but be disappointed if that's the case.  I just want us to go for it - night game, on TV, winnable game in the next round.  My heart is winning over my head for this one.

Are we not possibly overstating the physical impact of tonight's game on the Leeds match?  Tuesday - Saturday is a very ordinary scenario for footballers and if it was two league games we wouldn't be considering resting players.  After a four day gap I wouldn't expect tiredness to be an excuse at Leeds assuming the game is only 90 minutes...I guess it's the extra time that's the worry.

There is also an argument to say that these players are now playing a new system, after a long time playing the old one, and more game time would be beneficial in that respect.

I think basically I'm trying to convince myself why we should just go for it tonight...

Archived