IGNORED

view from the south stand

Will Rollason

Took youngest for his first game last night explained about how watching football has changed and how its a struggle to get atmos sitting down but...wow.. .reminded me of the one time i went in the Williams many years ago... he asked me why we couldn't go down the Atyeo , where i was a season ticket holder until recently, i thought he would like the new stand and the foods better etc.. but what he wanted was to have a sing and a chant.... 

massive queue/bottle necks at half time and full time, in fact didn't bother getting anything at half time and people were still getting back to their seats 15-20 mins into game.

And the game? rather watch a Cotts team, tbh ,set up to win but probably a bit too open.That was 4-5-1... at home.....in the cup... on a freezing cold night.....

i hope he asks to go again as he was right up for supporting the boys but we will be going back to my spiritual home in the Atyeo even if it is a bit shit compared with the new stands.

Oh yes and i told him we didn't get to sing " you fat bastard" any more cause footballers are all super fit nowadays......... Mark Little? lose a few pounds son...

I've got a feeling it's going to take a couple of seasons to settle down.

At the moment, the people who used to sit in the Williams are dispersed between the Dolman and the South Stand. Until the West Stand is finished and everyone gravitates back to their older preferred stands we're going to have a mismatch of fans and atmosphere.

I'm pretty sure things will improve over time, we just need to let it all settle down.

To be fair the atmosphere in SS last night was not anywhere near what it has been this season. There were a lot of unfamiliar faces around us last night so guessing they may be those that don't go so regularly. A lot of season ticket holders didn't go from what I could see. Those around us made it very clear that they were Rugby fans. Nothing wrong with that at all but they weren't interested in singing etc. Each to their own and great we had new fans in. But probably contributed to the very low key atmosphere. That and the low key performance. Don't let last night completely cloud your view of the SS is what I'm saying I guess! 

I used to sit in the Wiliiams Stand, and have a Pasty and a Cuppa within 5 minutes of entry. Now that I'm  in the South Stand I don't bother anymore ,

fed up with such slow moving long queues .

The Club must be losing money because of this I guess.

Maybe employing more Staff to serve might be the answer.

I used to sit in the Williams and it used to take me 5 minutes just to get to the end of my row, and it usually involved standing on numerous toes.

for every person who no longer bothers to queue there must be several dozen who do, from what I've seen the sports bar is rammed pre game, and there are many more people eating and drinking in the concourses than there used to be, I would think that income from food and drink  sales have gone through the roof since the new SS and Dolman concourses were opened.

8 minutes ago, KURTZ said:

I used to sit in the Wiliiams Stand, and have a Pasty and a Cuppa within 5 minutes of entry. Now that I'm  in the South Stand I don't bother anymore ,

I managed to get a pint without queueing before the game, a lot better than it was in the old Exhibition Hall but there are problems at half time with too many people arriving at the same time, not sure what the answer is to that.

47 minutes ago, lenred said:

To be fair the atmosphere in SS last night was not anywhere near what it has been this season. There were a lot of unfamiliar faces around us last night so guessing they may be those that don't go so regularly. A lot of season ticket holders didn't go from what I could see. Those around us made it very clear that they were Rugby fans. Nothing wrong with that at all but they weren't interested in singing etc. Each to their own and great we had new fans in. But probably contributed to the very low key atmosphere. That and the low key performance. Don't let last night completely cloud your view of the SS is what I'm saying I guess! 

Probably not sure about the football crowd etiquette, and probably don't know the words. I don't know the words to lots of songs, so I can't join in. Perhaps someone could put them on here so I can learn them? I have a good shout though, to make up for lack of singing

Don't think the answer is more staff. Every single till is manned before KO and at HT, along with other staff behind running food and drinks to those serving. As well as a fair few selling pasties/pies by walking around the concourse. Every kiosk is open. Honestly think they are doing all they can already.

I have never been to a ground where I haven't had to queue at peak times to get food or a drink. It's just part of going to watch football I'm afraid 

9 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Probably not sure about the football crowd etiquette, and probably don't know the words. I don't know the words to lots of songs, so I can't join in. Perhaps someone could put them on here so I can learn them? I have a good shout though, to make up for lack of singing

Sorry Max my post certainly wasn't meant as a slight at you nor anyone else at all for not singing. Just that the dynamics of the attendance last night looked different to me than it usually is and therefore may have contributed to the more muted than usual atmosphere. Cheers. 

Do they have somebody pre-pouring the drinks to make serving quicker? They do that at cricket and rugby internationals and it seems to make a big difference.

I suppose the football crowd probably drinks more tea and less beer (is that still the case? beer in the concourse seems more comman at football than it used to be) but they could still pre-pour a dozen teas and coffees so the person dealing with the customer doesn't have to do it.

I presume they also support contactless payment which helps a good deal too?

I think last night you could excuse longer than normal queues for drinks.  It was a bitterly cold night and I imagine a much higher number of people than normal wanted a hot drink - it was almost essential!  To be fair there isn't exactly a lack of kiosks around the concourse, each manned with plenty of staff, so realistically what more could the club do?

I was at the QPR game before christmas and sat in the Atyeo. Left to get a drink and a Pastie a few minutes before half time. Small enough queue (about 5 people ahead of me) but it took about 5 minutes to get served. Drinks weren't ready to go, staff didn't know how to work the tills and there weren't enough of them.

Half an hour before the match and 15 minutes at half time is where they are going to make the money on catering. Have the beer lined up and ready to go (like any other outdoor event), one person working the till and two serving drinks and food. Such a wasted opportunity.

The Butcombe Bitter was lovely and the Pastie was pretty good (bear in mind I live in Ireland and they don't do Pasties)...

Last night was terrible I agree but I think that's more rondo with the weather! Everyone was going down to capture that extra few degrees of warmth. I think the queues move quickly, it's evident that more people are purchasing/wanting more food/drink because of the improved facilities. 

Move heard that in the first 2 home games we took more money on food and drink in concourses than we did in the whole of last season.

1 hour ago, lenred said:

Sorry Max my post certainly wasn't meant as a slight at you nor anyone else at all for not singing. Just that the dynamics of the attendance last night looked different to me than it usually is and therefore may have contributed to the more muted than usual atmosphere. Cheers. 

It's ok I didn't take as such. From the SS it is not always possible to hear what is being sung elsewhere, so I can't join in…We do some random wailing in time occasionally. I wasn't at the game last night but have noticed on previous cup games that there is a different dynamic in the crowd.

Prob not relent to this thread. Since living in Cornwall I gave up my season ticket due to the cost of travel, however I do try and still get to as least 1/2 the home games and a few away as a Forever member. I took my daughter last night and sat in the SS as was a little surprised (or was I) at the attitude of a season ticket holder a couple of seats away. two young ladies came to their seat with tickets in hand to sit where he was sat to be told I am a season ticket holder and this is my seat. thought it was funny that they then spent the next 10 min trying to find somewhere to sit because he didn't want to sit where his ticket was because he had not bought his ticket for his seat in time. This prompting my daughter to feel a little uncomfortable all night being by him as he drank away.

Didn't stop us singing when we could.

Better now let off a bit of steam.

8 minutes ago, Blazeyrobins said:

Prob not relent to this thread. Since living in Cornwall I gave up my season ticket due to the cost of travel, however I do try and still get to as least 1/2 the home games and a few away as a Forever member. I took my daughter last night and sat in the SS as was a little surprised (or was I) at the attitude of a season ticket holder a couple of seats away. two young ladies came to their seat with tickets in hand to sit where he was sat to be told I am a season ticket holder and this is my seat. thought it was funny that they then spent the next 10 min trying to find somewhere to sit because he didn't want to sit where his ticket was because he had not bought his ticket for his seat in time. This prompting my daughter to feel a little uncomfortable all night being by him as he drank away.

Didn't stop us singing when we could.

Better now let off a bit of steam.

The world is full of pr*cks like that.  That should be what the stewards are there to sort.

Definitely a few first timers last night. Staring blankly at their tickets and the corresponding vacant seat in front of them. 10 mins into the game they were still trying to find their seats, much to the displeasure of those around me who had their view obscured. 

Also heard a shout of "cummon Bristol!"  Who?

7 minutes ago, deadredfred said:

Definitely a few first timers last night. Staring blankly at their tickets and the corresponding vacant seat in front of them. 10 mins into the game they were still trying to find their seats, much to the displeasure of those around me who had their view obscured. 

Also heard a shout of "cummon Bristol!"  Who?

It is bloody madness.  If people were drawn by the allure of West Brom then they could get to The Hawthorns in no time and watch a Prem game there any time.  Don't get it.

4 hours ago, KURTZ said:

The service and ques as improved a lot in the last month in the Dolman and SS. It now only take me a few mins to get served before the match. Half time is always going to be a problem , 15 mins to serve potenialy 15000 its always going to be struggle. But before and after its a lot easier.

As far as strangers visiting our ground last night, I don't really mind if they didn't know exactly where a seat they had never sat in before was situated. I don't mind they used inaccurate terminology to shout for the team in red. I don't mind they paid my club cash for the privilege. I won't mind if they come back next season to help fill 27000 seats and boost the club's ability to fund new or better players.

And if they do all that after some fat tool refused to give up his seat to the rightful ticket holder and after getting dirty looks from other city fans who seem to think they shouldn't be there, then that is even better.

Please disregard all of this though if you never went to your first match at City once.

I have no issue with newcomers. As you said, will need a lot of them to fill the stadium. More supporters the merrier, great for the growth of the club.

I have issue with a lack of common sense. Having a 5 minute meeting to decide who sits in what seat and who sits next to who, and who's going to hold my drink whilst I sit down etc etc, whilst standing up and blocking my view and those around me when the game is already 10 mins gone is my beef. 

Seating locations with block names, numbers and letters really couldn't be any more straightforward.

5 hours ago, Irish_Red said:

I was at the QPR game before christmas and sat in the Atyeo. Left to get a drink and a Pastie a few minutes before half time. Small enough queue (about 5 people ahead of me) but it took about 5 minutes to get served. Drinks weren't ready to go, staff didn't know how to work the tills and there weren't enough of them.

Half an hour before the match and 15 minutes at half time is where they are going to make the money on catering. Have the beer lined up and ready to go (like any other outdoor event), one person working the till and two serving drinks and food. Such a wasted opportunity.

The Butcombe Bitter was lovely and the Pastie was pretty good (bear in mind I live in Ireland and they don't do Pasties)...

The Atyeo stand doesnt have a liscence to sell alcohol while the game is on, so cannot sell till the half time whistle goes.

1 hour ago, deadredfred said:

I have no issue with newcomers. As you said, will need a lot of them to fill the stadium. More supporters the merrier, great for the growth of the club.

I have issue with a lack of common sense. Having a 5 minute meeting to decide who sits in what seat and who sits next to who, and who's going to hold my drink whilst I sit down etc etc, whilst standing up and blocking my view and those around me when the game is already 10 mins gone is my beef. 

Seating locations with block names, numbers and letters really couldn't be any more straightforward.

(Sh)it happens. You'll live. 

Archived