IGNORED

Great Dressing Room Motivational Speeches

Esmond Million's Bung

They used to tell a story at Plymouth Argyle, going back to the days when Peter Shilton had been placed in charge of the team, that offers a little snapshot perhaps of how sometimes even the greats of the sport can lose their sheen once they dabble in the unforgiving world of football management. 

Shilton was player-manager, or rather goalkeeper-manager, at the time. Plymouth were slipping into trouble in the old Third Division, the fingers of relegation closing round their necks for the second time in three years, and Shilton was trying to encourage his players to believe they could clamber away from the bottom three and rise like a “pheasant from the flames”. 

After a slightly awkward silence, someone tentatively pointed out the word he might have been looking for was “phoenix”. Shilton, standing in front of his players as a double European Cup winner and the record England appearance-maker, paused for a few moments to take it in, the realisation dawning that his motivational speech had not gone quite as planned. He needed a line to reassert his authority. “I knew it began with an F,” he said.

September 12th 2001, working for Woolworths (remember them) at the time.

I'm sat in a meeting with lots of other managers and after a rousing speech about our Christmas plans our then Chairman thumped the desk and said "Go out there and smash your targets with all the passion and belief of a terrorist"

Que staring at our feet and the sound of clicking pens, needless to say he lost the room. 

The guy now runs Betfair so far as I know.

Have you heard what the crowd are ******* shouting? "**** Bassett!" "Bassett's a****!" "Bassett's a bastard!" "Bassett's a ******!" They shouldn't be ******* shouting at me, they should be shouting at you, and do you know why? Because it's ******* half-time, and we're ******* 2-0 down to the ******* Mexicans! What the ****'s wrong with you? Get your ******* fingers out! Where's your bottle ******* gone?

And ******* pay attention you****, when I'm ******* talking to you! If you don't wanna wear the shirt, ******* take it off! There's thousands of kids out there who'd die to put that ******* shirt on. Get back on the ******* field, show those bastards what you can ******* do, or you can **** off home on the ******* plane! You got that?

"In life there's so many opportunities, and they're always round about you. And there's too many people in life that never see them. And then there are those people who see the opportunities and don't wanna grasp them. And then there's the other people who generally are life's winners, and they see the opportunities and they go looking for them, and when they see them they grasp them. And that's what you're facing now on the football field, in't it? Go ******* take the opportunity. It's there for you. Wring every little bit out of it."

Graham Taylor pre Holland 1993...course it went to shit thereafter but the speech was impressive and the ref was awful...

Archived