IGNORED

Gladwin

Fatalist

First of all I am not writing him off before he has played for us, and I hope he does well ans adds to our creativity from midfield. But, how much can we expect from him at this level? Players who did well in league 1 have found it hard to step up. Freeman and Bryan are obvious examples, but also Agard, JET, Joe Garner at PNE, Dean Bowditch at MK and possibly Luongo. Also remember that as recently as 2013 he was playing at Marlow at level 7 in the pyramid. He has obviously got something but is he the saviour? Opinions?

4 minutes ago, Fatalist said:

First of all I am not writing him off before he has played for us, and I hope he does well ans adds to our creativity from midfield. But, how much can we expect from him at this level? Players who did well in league 1 have found it hard to step up. Freeman and Bryan are obvious examples, but also Agard, JET, Joe Garner at PNE, Dean Bowditch at MK and possibly Luongo. Also remember that as recently as 2013 he was playing at Marlow at level 7 in the pyramid. He has obviously got something but is he the saviour? Opinions?

Reading between the lines, you are writing him off before he's kicked a ball.

The cruel swine.

:nono:

Uncle TFR-Moyes-Walsh

26 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Don't think he's the saviour but he was one player that really caused us problems last season . We need more creation in midfield and he's a level up from Bobby Reid.

That's really what I'm getting at. He did look good last year, but so did other people who can't do it this year.

1 hour ago, Fatalist said:

So are you implying we shouldn't sign anyone from League One?

Others sniff when we're ambitious & try & sign people from Championship level.

The club can't win between the two sets of critics.

Something I'm hoping doesn't happen is people slate him after Birmingham (if he plays) for not creating chances or looking of the pace, and yes I expect he will for 2-3 games as he hasn't really played football this season, give the lad a chance, if he's anything near as good as what he was like against us last season he's a step up from Freeman.

9 minutes ago, Kodjia 22 said:

Something I'm hoping doesn't happen is people slate him after Birmingham (if he plays) for not creating chances or looking of the pace, and yes I expect he will for 2-3 games as he hasn't really played football this season, give the lad a chance, if he's anything near as good as what he was like against us last season he's a step up from Freeman.

In that 1 game :laugh:

1 hour ago, Fatalist said:

Same as Matt Smith; He was great for us in League 1.

2 hours ago, Fatalist said:

First of all I am not writing him off beforeWags taffetaplayed for us, and I hope he.  does well ans adds to our creativity from midfield. But, how much can we expect from him at this level? Players who did well in league 1 have found it hard to step up. Freeman and Bryan are obvious examples, but also Agard, JET, Joe Garner at PNE, Dean Bowditch at MK and possibly Luongo. Also remember that as recently as 2013 he was playing at Marlow at level 7 in the pyramid. He has obviously got something but is he the saviour? Opinions?

He is a lot better than Pack, Bryan, Williams, Reid, Freeman, Burns and Wagstaff. So he should be an improvement.

We can expect him to have a point to prove so that's a good starting point for me. As for what he'll achieve that is and always will be clairevoyance but there appears to be reason to be optimistic

Whilst I agree we need an old head I'm a bit fed up of hearing 'championship experience'. We've had plenty of shite who had just that, Stern John an immediate example which springs to mind. Any and all signings are a gamble no matter what level they've played at. You mitigate the gamble by doing proper research and proper research is not 'where did you last play'. 

Lets give the lad a chance there are 100's of lower league players that do make the step up and go on to well at championship level (our own Korey Smith for one) so lets be positive and say he's one that will do that.

He has to be an improvement on Reid Pack and Fatty Freeman this season 

10 hours ago, Leveller said:

So are you implying we shouldn't sign anyone from League One?

Others sniff when we're ambitious & try & sign people from Championship level.

Given the growing list of players from clubs in the prem, the championship and league one who have all turned us down, Mr Gladwin has my full support if only because he has said yes. 

12 hours ago, Fatalist said:

Agard hasn't had many chances at this level, JET has barely played at QPR and is still among their top scorers, his previous times in this division he was played out of position, and Garner has been a perennial failure at this level so this season I expected it (although plenty on here were fooled by last season). Bowditch wasn't prolific in league 1 so not sure why he was expected to do well this year. I don't know enough about Luongo to comment, but don't think your list of examples is particularly good.

9 hours ago, Chairman Mao said:

huh? he was pretty poor vs Boro, confidence is shot

You think so? I thought he had one of his best games at this level, he was up against a very strong opponent and held his own really welly well. He started to come inside and use his right foot more which is a sign he was feeling more confident I think.

13 hours ago, Fatalist said:

The problem is yours is a selective list.  I could make a list of players who did well in League One - Delle Alli and Benik Afobe for a start - and say that it's evidence players from League One WILL make the step-up. But in truth it depends on the individual.  We'll have to see how Gladwin does but to my mind it's a signing in an area where I think we need one so I hope it pays off!

Good player in the games against us and other games I saw on tv.

Got two good feet, and that sort of languid style that reminds me of Chrissy Waddle-scorchio.

Like most of our signings this season, they are potentially decent signings, but we have to wait and see how they perform.  I would like to think he will use the ball well in advanced positions and also hit the target with attempts.

Archived