IGNORED

What are the Problems.

David Jones

I think that most people on this Forum know what the problems are but are very frustrated that Club doesn't know what the problems are.

Yes we need a Manager that has experience at the highest level, and a reputation amongst players that we are trying to Buy.

Do we have good players, yes we do as proved against WBA and Leeds today, we can create chances but we have a severe inability to turn those changes into goals.

It amazes me that we are prepared to spend 45 Million plus pounds to build a stadium to hold nearly 30000 fans but for some reason there is no urgency in finding that new Manager and the Quality Players that can help fill that new stadium and that will score the Goals that are needed to keep the team in the Championship and beyond.

Frustrated.

2 minutes ago, David Jones said:

I think that most people on this Forum know what the problems are but are very frustrated that Club doesn't know what the problems are.

Yes we need a Manager that has experience at the highest level, and a reputation amongst players that we are trying to Buy.

Do we have good players, yes we do as proved against WBA and Leeds today, we can create chances but we have a severe inability to turn those changes into goals.

It amazes me that we are prepared to spend 45 Million plus pounds to build a stadium to hold nearly 30000 fans but for some reason there is no urgency in finding that new Manager and the Quality Players that can help fill that new stadium and that will score the Goals that are needed to keep the team in the Championship and beyond.

Frustrated.

Ground, ground, ground, they forgot about the team!

10 minutes ago, David Jones said:

Frustrated.

For all any of us know, they are busy trying to get players and a manager - they just don't post on here!

In fact, I'd wager that those in a decision making capacity at the Gate are probably aware of not just the problems we know about, but a whole load more problems as well.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't be concerned or have an opinion though. 

Genuinely don't believe all attention has been on the ground. I just think the management / leadership are over confident. Rather than making things happen, being proactive and anticipating they continually react to situations. Taking things for granted and not fully understanding the championship. 

This spin about attempting to get the premier league gets my goat in particular. All fluff no substance. Back it up if your going to continually state it publicly. Just feeding the fans a line. 

Firstly it's refreshing to know that apparently we didn't deserve that result, nothing changes there then.

IMO I don't think it's fair that we are now having to rely on Burns and Reid, it's not their fault but i'm not sure this is going to be their time, IMO we need a left back pronto, 2 more midfield players and 2 strikers, but I can't see where those signings are going to come from, I predict the usual procession of shit that we usually get when we are in this familiar position.

We need a third central midfielder who can help Kodjia and score goals as well as creating them. Freeman has been abysmal, Reid slightly better but not good enough. Frustrating that we haven't got Dack tbh. Also another good player down the left hand side with Bryan. Either someone like Golbourne behind him or a good left footed winger. I think if we can nail 2 signings in those positions it'll go a long way to helping us survive.

19 minutes ago, cynic said:

The problem is that we have very good defensive mdfielders in Smith and Pack, but absolutely nothing in the way of creative or attacking midfielders.

Poor old Kodjia must be so frustrated at all those runs which he makes but Freeman just hangs onto the ball.

We need a strong, attacking midfielder pronto or we are down.

People scoffed at Robbie Savage when he said we are too slow getting the ball forward. He may be a marmite figure but he's spot on. We don't have the same urgency as other teams when we are breaking forward, we don't commit enough players and allow the opposition to get back into position.

20 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

IMO I don't think it's fair that we are now having to rely on Burns and Reid, it's not their fault but i'm not sure this is going to be their time, 

Reid is 23 next month, at what age do you think we should rely on him, then?

25? 28?

If he isn't good enough now he isn't going to be.

2 minutes ago, screech said:

People scoffed at Robbie Savage when he said we are too slow getting the ball forward. He may be a marmite figure but he's spot on. We don't have the same urgency as other teams when we are breaking forward, we don't commit enough players and allow the opposition to get back into position.

Correct he made the point that on the one occasion that Wes got in an early cross Wilbraham got on the end of it even though he was being wrestled and most of the same people criticised WBA as being boring, but by ****, what a lesson if one was needed in our present predicament, marking, harrying, denying space, you know 'organised'.

We need two ot three that can score goals.

Totally unfair on Kodjia that we seem to be relying on him for goals.

Sell Freeman now. I am sick of seeing him run around trying to beat everyone without ever playing a ball into the channels for Kodjia.

Forget a manager, the priority is players who know how to put the ball in the onion bag.

19 minutes ago, screech said:

I recall that when Cotts came in one of the things he said needed improving was to move the ball more quickly. We were very slow under O'Driscoll.

We seem to have come full circle!

53 minutes ago, Port Pete said:

Genuinely don't believe all attention has been on the ground. I just think the management / leadership are over confident. Rather than making things happen, being proactive and anticipating they continually react to situations. Taking things for granted and not fully understanding the championship. 

This spin about attempting to get the premier league gets my goat in particular. All fluff no substance. Back it up if your going to continually state it publicly. Just feeding the fans a line. 

Couldn't agree more - the next week will be very telling about their true intentions.

17 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Reid is 23 next month, at what age do you think we should rely on him, then?

25? 28?

If he isn't good enough now he isn't going to be.

Thierry Henry was 23 when he moved to Arsenal. 23 goals in 121 games. He didn't get any better after 23 did he? 

Jamie Vardy was in the conference until 24. So did he not get better after 23? 

Bobby Reid only has 80 or so appearances at senior level and mostly in the lower leagues. To say he can't get better is silly. Should we rely on him? No but he should be used as he's been better than Freeman in limited time. He's only going to get better as he knows how to shield the ball better and draw fouls instead of getting knocked off the ball but that comes with more experience. 

7 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

We need two ot three that can score goals.

Totally unfair on Kodjia that we seem to be relying on him for goals.

Sell Freeman now. I am sick of seeing him run around trying to beat everyone without ever playing a ball into the channels for Kodjia.

Forget a manager, the priority is players who know how to put the ball in the onion bag.

The priority is players but who would be willing to commit there long term future to a ship with a temporary captain. As we're currently finding.

I've no doubts that Dack, Bradshaw et al would've been signed by now had Warnock, Pearson etc be at the helm (providing they wanted them). Another game goes by and were 3 points less because of this easy option b*llox 

6 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Thierry Henry was 23 when he moved to Arsenal. 23 goals in 121 games. He didn't get any better after 23 did he? 

Jamie Vardy was in the conference until 24. So did he not get better after 23? 

Bobby Reid only has 80 or so appearances at senior level and mostly in the lower leagues. To say he can't get better is silly. Should we rely on him? No but he should be used as he's been better than Freeman in limited time. He's only going to get better as he knows how to shield the ball better and draw fouls instead of getting knocked off the ball but that comes with more experience. 

Henry moved to Arsenal from Juventus for £10m where he was a winger but as they asked for that amount I'd suggest he was already being relied upon..

My comment was in response to someone saying we couldn't rely upon Reid, seriously if we don't expect him to be making a contribution by 23 he shouldn't be with us.

1 hour ago, David Jones said:

Frustrated.

Maybe his pacience has finally run out with the football side of Bristol sport because of the endless amounts  of Money that he has to keep pumping into the football club because of ridiculous players wages.

It could now be all about the rugby in the future!

Just a thought

31 minutes ago, Reigate Red said:

Couldn't agree more - the next week will be very telling about their true intentions.

If you noticed though they will justify under what they do with a statement along the lines ' We are looking ahead and planning for SUSTAINABLE success'

Mark my words !

In the modern managerial spin world any short term failure can be spun as

' Pain before gain '

' Neccessary to achieve Sustainable success '

21 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Henry moved to Arsenal from Juventus for £10m where he was a winger but as they asked for that amount I'd suggest he was already being relied upon..

My comment was in response to someone saying we couldn't rely upon Reid, seriously if we don't expect him to be making a contribution by 23 he shouldn't be with us.

Moved for 10m and was worth 8x that a few years later. The point was more that players can get better a little bit older with more experience. To write Bobby Reid off because he's turning 23 seems quite harsh on him especially as he's made the team better more times than not this season. 

It's your opinion and you may well be right but I don't think everyone should write him off yet. 

After 37 years I can only conclude that we have some sort of desire to self-destruct when things look good.Usually over-ambition and impatience, but when we had a chance of top flight football, it was lack of ambition!

If we stay up, we need to cut out the ludicrous £9m bids, and build patiently using good scouting, shrewd buys and most importantly, youth development. 

12 hours ago, Frenchay Red said:

I recall that when Cotts came in one of the things he said needed improving was to move the ball more quickly. We were very slow under O'Driscoll.

We seem to have come full circle!

We are to reliant on Freeman who for some reason can't pass from one side of the pitch to ther other side where a player is standing with acres of space he then runs with ball towards the player who was standing and who is now surrounded beggars belief I think when freeman isn't playing the rest play together as a team and not as a one man band

38 minutes ago, David Jones said:

We are to reliant on Freeman who for some reason can't pass from one side of the pitch to ther other side where a player is standing with acres of space he then runs with ball towards the player who was standing and who is now surrounded beggars belief I think when freeman isn't playing the rest play together as a team and not as a one man band

I've said before, Freeman's first thought/action is to run with the ball never looks for a forward pass. The thing is , all the runs that Kodjia made in the early part of the season and didn't get the ball , means he has started to do the same thing. Now you have 2 players running with the ball and not looking to release it.  Maybe with lack of confidence the quick pass and move has gone, we have looked pretty good at times this season but now can be pedestrian.

The problem is that the Board and management underestimated the championship after a great campaign last season. I can imagine them all going on holiday thinking" where going to boss next season & and sign whoever we like" this attitude has now totally backfired on them and we now find ourselves in the bottom three with no manager. So now is the time to act for the Board who are very much partly to blame, Now is the time to get it right or we are going down.

10 hours ago, Chappers said:

After 37 years I can only conclude that we have some sort of desire to self-destruct when things look good.Usually over-ambition and impatience, but when we had a chance of top flight football, it was lack of ambition!

If we stay up, we need to cut out the ludicrous £9m bids, and build patiently using good scouting, shrewd buys and most importantly, youth development. 

It's  not rocket science and yet ...

Archived