IGNORED

James

Keepers Ball

Of course its not easy.Of course keepers are in a near no win situation when it comes to Penalties.

But David James has to be the worst keeper at facing penalties since Peter Shilton.

The bloke is Six foot four yet doesnt command any presence whatsoever !

Looking at him on the line he looked massive.Why didn't he spread his arms and make his presence count even more ?

Another thing is he is a "guesser".Decides "I'll go this way" before the ball is even struck !

• Admin
Sometimes you have to, or you won't get it anyway! :D
At the end of the shoot-out I believe he'd managed to dive the wrong way EVERY time. That takes some doing!

Had he dived the same way for EVERY pen he'd have at least been going the right way for a couple of them :D

At the end of the shoot-out I believe he'd managed to dive the wrong way EVERY time. That takes some doing!

Had he dived the same way for EVERY pen he'd have at least been going the right way for a couple of them :D

He's pretty thick - he just went the opposite way each time. Duh :D:D:D:D:D

Didn't watch any domestic football this season then ? Missed all of james Penalty saves that probably kept Man City in the prem then.

Every single portugese pen bar Rui Costas was a good pen, he had no chance with any of them, they were all placed well, even if you had told James which way they were going he wouldn't have saved any of them except Postigas kick. All of our pens were good apart from Beckhams which makes Waddles look like a quality pen, and Vassells which was a poor pen.

As for being a guesser, well thats how you save pens if you tried to read every one, you would go the wrong way every time without fail, well unless facing a beckham penalty in which case you go right and you will save many of them.

Being a keeper for Penalties is all about mind games, you pick a way and dive that way, but do everything in your power (not much) to make the kicker change his mind, that is why Penalties are missed/saved, because the player taking them changes his mind right at the last minuite and places it poorly.

The best penalty takers use placement, Zidane, RvN, Shearer rarely do anything different, it's when they do that they miss, Shearers pens always go top left, almost without fail and if the keeper tries to pre-empt this by moving very early he just rolls them the other way. The best penalty takers unless they make a mistake will never have a penalty saved because they put them where they know the Keeper will never reach them.

:D I've thought about this and my personal opinion on how to save penalties is to watch their body posture, and the way in which their body is faced in order to strike the ball - I'm going to put it into action today with my friends as we play football in the Grim knowledge we arn't going to see England lift this trophy :D

Archived