IGNORED

By end of week

Coombsy

If we do sign anyone i can only see it being L1 players. This, in the hope they can step up, but also in the knowledge they'll be suited to L1 with us next season. 

Still think we can stay up but would be nice to see maybe3 wins on the bounce somehow, somewhere, to give everyone a lift. 

Trying to be more solid ultimately seems to mean we struggle more upfront. We cant win games 0-0 so i'd like to be more adventurous. Our supposed 433 formation is most definitely 451, nomatter how anyone wants to try and argue the attacking and defensive sides of the formation. 

Would be nice to cruise to a win somehow but every game just seems so tight right to the end. 

Pemberton has gone down the Preston route of tighening up and trying to stem the flood of goals against. SC had made his mind up not to do this but keep playing an open game and try to sign more quality up front to take more of the many chances we made playing that way.

Didn't work because he\the club couldn't get that quality in. I still wanted to go and watch because it was generally entertaining - if depressing to see us lose.

Judging by the general media opinion on our last two games it looks likely to be a lot less entertaining playing the 'new' way. If we get some results great. However, if we get a run of 0-0 or 0-1 results I suspect the crowds will start to drop off fairly rapidly. I think part of the feeling around the team was down to us being committed to playing open and entertaining football. Now that has gone, much as I can see the need for change, I can't help feeling disappointed and as if it marks the end of an era. Really struggling to get motivated to go to games as a result.

By the end of the week, we may have a new player or two, about 100 threads about the club burning in Hell forever if a new manager is not appointed, and if we don't beat Brum, I think some posters will spontaneously combust.

As for being solid, we don't have the quality, particularly at the back, to play reckless football. The League table might just give a clue on that point.

2 hours ago, Mendip City said:

I wonder how the process of recruiting a manager is going? 

There's not much Ashton or anyone can say, publicly, I guess. Hopefully they are whittling down and not waiting to see how JP does before opening talks. 

I disagree. He could come out and say Pemberton is the manager until the end of the season or not.

If not he could update us on the process and timescale. Do we have a preferred candidate or have we whittled down a shortlist.

What is happening in the transfer market, are they in discussion with candidates to bring in the right players.

Otherwise we could have silence and a rudderless club for possibly the most important week if our season.

24 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Pemberton has gone down the Preston route of tighening up and trying to stem the flood of goals against. SC had made his mind up not to do this but keep playing an open game and try to sign more quality up front to take more of the many chances we made playing that way.

Didn't work because he\the club couldn't get that quality in. I still wanted to go and watch because it was generally entertaining - if depressing to see us lose.

Judging by the general media opinion on our last two games it looks likely to be a lot less entertaining playing the 'new' way. If we get some results great. However, if we get a run of 0-0 or 0-1 results I suspect the crowds will start to drop off fairly rapidly. I think part of the feeling around the team was down to us being committed to playing open and entertaining football. Now that has gone, much as I can see the need for change, I can't help feeling disappointed and as if it marks the end of an era. Really struggling to get motivated to go to games as a result.

Come on, the attacking football SC brought us last season had become a distant memory. We were being served up consistently poor performances for a few months culminating in a pretty desperate festive period in the games against Derby, Charlton, Burnley and Reading.

I assume you didn't attend the Boro game but the performance and spirit shown by the players in the last 20 mins was superb and Ashton Gate was rocking like it hasn't done all season. We haven't celebrated a goal like that in a long while. That was entertainment.

However in the short term as dull as it may be Pemberton is right in saying his priority has to be to try and make us hard to beat as we are in a relegation scrap.

Crowds won't drop off if the players continue to fight and create chances like we did at Leeds or get results as we did at Boro.

We can re-evaluate styles of play in the summer. As of now we have 18 games left or whatever it is to win as many points as possible, by any means.

You're right KITR, I didn't make the Boro game. I did watch wba (on tv) and thought our performance was half- hearted. I appreciate Pulis has made a career out of stifling teams though.

Yesterday the bbc reporter described the first half as turgid. Steve Evans said he'd had more fun at the dentist - accept he may be biased.

All I am saying is a pattern is already developing. We will be less fun to watch. Maybe it is the sensible option. I agree SC had lost it. I just feel a bit sad that our cavalier, exciting football of last season is now well and truly behind us. I had waited a long time to be that entertained by a city team again and now it just feels like we won't see it again in a hurry.

2 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

Wow, I loved Cotterill but you can't seriously think we were playing open, entertaining football under him. To back up my point, lets look at the final 10 League games under Cotts.

Played: 10

Scored: 6

Conceded: 20

To make it worse, just TWO of those goals were from open play. It really couldn't have been any further from entertaining.

i hope hes got our recruitment team running their socks off watching talent, has a dozen pre-signed cheques to sort out players/agents/coathangers etc and jp prepared to come in and talk to a few potential new players. in my eyes,he and wade are the ones who need satisfying the most

This appointment is the only one in Football where you can get exactly what you want and what is needed to go the whole way to the Premiership - much easier than putting a team together. You only have to persuade one person by what you offer. They will travel across Continents if you do.

Waiting to see how serious the Club are about all of that. I truly hope that the owner can let go and get that person ....................... 

I also hope that Ashton's appointment wasn't a cynical way of avoiding the significant change that BCFC need to achieve it.

14 hours ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Wow, I loved Cotterill but you can't seriously think we were playing open, entertaining football under him. To back up my point, lets look at the final 10 League games under Cotts.

Played: 10

Scored: 6

Conceded: 20

To make it worse, just TWO of those goals were from open play. It really couldn't have been any further from entertaining.

Sure, if you take the last 10 games but what about the earlier ones?

Cotterill built a team based around dominating possession and playing an open, attacking game. He tried to continue that in the Championship but to play in that way you really have to have players who are better than those they come up against and he couldn't recruit those players. Nevertheless he stuck to his approach (because he'd wasted his chance to bring in players who could play in a different way - indeed, he even let one of them go to a rival), and we started the season playing the same attacking game as last year but consistently getting caught on the break. The attacking game was never as effective as last year because the players no longer had a skill advantage over the defenders they faced.

Preston, like Gary Johnson's City, were solid and unspectacular and that's something that is much easier to adapt to a higher level. They too struggle with attacking play but they have a defence to fall back on which City did not. That's why they're doing better than us and that's why the management at City now have their work cut out to build a team that can survive.

1 hour ago, citywest30 said:

The board are probably finding out first hand now Cott's struggles of attracting quality to the club. I'm prepared to be distinctly underwhelmed at the appointment, that's if it happens this week. Prepare for the worst...

I'm not overly convinced we'll see an appointment this week. Can see someone like Warnock being appointed next week on a short term deal (once the window closes)

Failing that, JP & WE to stay in charge until the end of the season. If that's to be the case, I'd get Big Joe on the phone tout suite to add some experience to the piece.

19 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

Sure, if you take the last 10 games but what about the earlier ones?

Cotterill built a team based around dominating possession and playing an open, attacking game. He tried to continue that in the Championship but to play in that way you really have to have players who are better than those they come up against and he couldn't recruit those players. Nevertheless he stuck to his approach (because he'd wasted his chance to bring in players who could play in a different way - indeed, he even let one of them go to a rival), and we started the season playing the same attacking game as last year but consistently getting caught on the break. The attacking game was never as effective as last year because the players no longer had a skill advantage over the defenders they faced.

Preston, like Gary Johnson's City, were solid and unspectacular and that's something that is much easier to adapt to a higher level. They too struggle with attacking play but they have a defence to fall back on which City did not. That's why they're doing better than us and that's why the management at City now have their work cut out to build a team that can survive.

Agree with this.

Some of our approach play and passing up to the opponents box was exciting and great to watch, early in the season. But our finishing was poor. So the defence was always under pressure. After a few months, with wins not coming, confidence drained away, and inevitably the standard of play became much poorer, less watchable. The effort was always there, though.

Cotts transfer targets may have been over ambitious but had we signed Gray (if that was ever seriously on the cards, or agreed as rumoured) and other signings duly followed, we could now be enjoying one of the season's of our lives. 

19 hours ago, nickolas said:

If we do sign anyone i can only see it being L1 players. This, in the hope they can step up, but also in the knowledge they'll be suited to L1 with us next season. 

Still think we can stay up but would be nice to see maybe3 wins on the bounce somehow, somewhere, to give everyone a lift. 

Trying to be more solid ultimately seems to mean we struggle more upfront. We cant win games 0-0 so i'd like to be more adventurous. Our supposed 433 formation is most definitely 451, nomatter how anyone wants to try and argue the attacking and defensive sides of the formation. 

Would be nice to cruise to a win somehow but every game just seems so tight right to the end. 

Apart from Burnley away, Derby away, Reading at home, Rotherham away, Brentford at home, Fulham at home etc

Archived