IGNORED

Get real!

Red1984

During the past couple of weeks I have seen dozens of posters on this forum saying things along the lines of the club must appoint a new manager asap otherwise we are sure to go down etc. The thing that strikes me is that very few if any of the people saying this have suggested any realistic names for our future manager or head coach.

Surely if any of the high profile managers such as pearson or moyes were at all interested they would have been snapped up by now. Perhaps the same could even be said about garry monk.

So realistically where does this leave us? The fans have made it perfectly clear that Appleton or somebody of similar ilk is not what they would like to see so come on guys lets hear some names that the club have a chance of attracting and that the majority of the fans would be happy with because I for one am really struggling to think of any.

If im being honest im still undecided on whether sacking sc was the correct decision or not however the facts are that the club have made their decision and I have a strong feeling that the majaroty of people are going to be very disappointed when the club make an announcement regarding our next manager as I can only see it being pemberton or a young 'Appleton' type coach.

We were told, I believe, that the club had received 30 enquiries about a week or so ago.  I believe the Board is being very dilatory if this was the case

If we are relegated with a temporary head coach surely the pool of new head coaches will be much smaller for a division one club than for a club fighting for survival in the Championship - but it will be cheaper!

There may well have been a decent amount of interest in the job however surely that we seem to be no closer now than we were 2 weeks ago that would suggest to me that the quality of applicant might not have been quite as good as the club led us to believe.

17 minutes ago, Red1984 said:

During the past couple of weeks I have seen dozens of posters on this forum saying things along the lines of the club must appoint a new manager asap otherwise we are sure to go down etc. The thing that strikes me is that very few if any of the people saying this have suggested any realistic names for our future manager or head coach.

Maybe that shows they shouldn't have sacked the manager in the first place?

2 minutes ago, Red1984 said:

There may well have been a decent amount of interest in the job however surely that we seem to be no closer now than we were 2 weeks ago that would suggest to me that the quality of applicant might not have been quite as good as the club led us to believe.

How do you know we're no closer? For all we know, initial interviews may have been carried out, a shortlist drawn up and then second interviews in process. This may not be the case but none of us know, yet some want to sound like they do.

15 minutes ago, Dark Wood Covert said:

I really hope its not Dean Saunders....

Can't see a lot wrong with appointing Deno he's made a pretty good fist of it wherever he's managed.

I texted a jock agent I know about our situation and he said could be Stuart McCall could be in the frame, ha,ha,ha,ha,ha!!!!

So hopefully its Deno but if not Stuey.

2 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Can't see a lot wrong with appointing Deno he's made a pretty good fist of it wherever he's managed.

I texted a jock agent I know about our situation and he said could be Stuart McCall could be in the frame, ha,ha,ha,ha,ha!!!!

He's made a pretty good something of every job he's done that's for sure. I really hope for your sanity that I'm having a whoosh moment thinking you're serious!

The problem appears to be (and this could be just a case of being badly put across by the club and but the case at all) that we're inviting applications, when there are people such as Moyes and Pearson whose stock is high enough that they should be approached and not the other way around.

21 minutes ago, Red1984 said:

Surely if any of the high profile managers such as pearson or moyes were at all interested they would have been snapped up by now. Perhaps the same could even be said about garry monk.

You are of course spot on.

You only need to look at those people who are in the betting to see how few candidates there really are.

So lots of hot air from many posters and a distinct lack of numbers to choose from.

There is only one available candidate who has forged a promotion winning team from the Championship, Pearson.

There are others who are under contract, so would require compensation, and one or two out of work Prem managers, that's about it.

Anyone else being considered has less going for him than say Pemberton who at least knows the existing players and the politics of the club.

The next appointment is about staying in the Championship this season, nothing else matters.

5 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

He's made a pretty good something of every job he's done that's for sure. I really hope for your sanity that I'm having a whoosh moment thinking you're serious!

The problem appears to be (and this could be just a case of being badly put across by the club and but the case at all) that we're inviting applications, when there are people such as Moyes and Pearson whose stock is high enough that they should be approached and not the other way around.

Yeah Steve in all honesty saunders would probably be only my 3rd or 4th choice!!!!!

20 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

The only job he's done is to take virtually all the clubs he managed out of the league they are in, unfortunately it's been the wrong way. 

Cant believe anyone is even considering his name. 

I have left it 36 hours to come back on here…………………as I was getting fed up with all the Same old ..Same old.   You know…...Ongoing conjecture,  circulating half truths, meaningless snippets and portions of rumour etc etc. So I have come back on in the forlorn hope that something might have changed………. and you know its hard to stay away, and I can't help returning…..just in case  (Jimmy Case's brother?)  that some glimmer of good news or a heartening development might emerge.   BUT No New Manager, No New Players and seemingly No Hope…………..So maybe I'll leave it for 36 days this time……….But I know I won't?

4 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

So what your saying is you wouldn't take Deno over a no mark like say Pearson?

So the manager who passed on most of the squad that he assembled,  to Ranieri…………..and who are currently leading the premiership by 3 points……….is a no mark?   Hmmmm?

Wouldn't be surprised is the Board got it wrong again and hastily appointed Ashton as COO and decided on a Head Coach. The title and role of Head Coach then may have taken some out of the picture. I couldn't imagine Moyes, Pearson, Monk etc accepting a lesser role than they have had before. 

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

We were told, I believe, that the club had received 30 enquiries about a week or so ago.  I believe the Board is being very dilatory if this was the case

If we are relegated with a temporary head coach surely the pool of new head coaches will be much smaller for a division one club than for a club fighting for survival in the Championship - but it will be cheaper!

Unfortunately by the time you remove the applicants from this forum the pool of perspective managers is down to zero.

9 minutes ago, Redtone said:

Are you sure you mean Nigel Pearson? 

Please explain what has Saunders done to get your approval? 

16 minutes ago, maxjak said:

So the manager who passed on most of the squad that he assembled,  to Ranieri…………..and who are currently leading the premiership by 3 points……….is a no mark?   Hmmmm?

Hmmmm when you put it that way and with the facts in front of me it appears I may have called this one wrong.

5 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

What's Danny Wilson up to these days? If it goes on much longer we might have to Dust him off and unpack Aaron Brown whilst we're at it too... :blink:

Only if Aaror could replicate that lung busting run down the left and put the perfect cross onto Thorpe's head against the gas.

I know, I know we don't want to play them again!!

What is our definition of "realistic"? Are we really limiting ourselves to an Appleton-level appointment?

We are putting in place a Premier League-standard infrastructure; next season we will have a fantastic, modern 27,000 seater stadium in one of the biggest cities in the country, a fanbase capable of taking 45,000 to a tinpot trophy final, and we are backed by a billionaire chairman willing to sanction multi-million pound bids for players. As a minimum we should be capable of establishing ourselves at this level - even without parachute payments. I don't see any reason why we shouldn't be able to sell that to a coach of Pearson's standing. It's still a great opportunity for someone.

1 hour ago, Steve Watts said:

Why would you want to employ some body who shows so little interest in the job that he cant even bother to apply for it?

8 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

What is our definition of "realistic"? Are we really limiting ourselves to an Appleton-level appointment?

We are putting in place a Premier League-standard infrastructure; next season we will have a fantastic, modern 27,000 seater stadium in one of the biggest cities in the country, a fanbase capable of taking 45,000 to a tinpot trophy final, and we are backed by a billionaire chairman willing to sanction multi-million pound bids for players. As a minimum we should be capable of establishing ourselves at this level - even without parachute payments. I don't see any reason why we shouldn't be able to sell that to a coach of Pearson's standing. It's still a great opportunity for someone.

I hope I'm wrong but I really can't see Nigel pearson being interested. If he was remotely interested why would he not have been hired by now as he would surely be the best man for the job out of any of the names mentioned and is currently out of work.

We might have a decent stadium next season and a wealthy owner but the truth is there is a real danger of us being in league 1 next season with not many people in that decent stadium.

As for transfer fees, it is one thing having a transfer bid accepted but it is pointless if we can't/won't offer the required wages to make that player join the club which is what appears to be happening.

When you weigh it all up it is hard to see what would attract a Nigel pearson or similar when he was managing in the top division a year ago and I'm sure in time he will have a better offer so it begs the question why would he risk his reputation on getting less than half a season to keep a struggling team in the championship when talking us down would be disastrous for his CV.

22 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

But we don't seem to be able sell the club to ANY players let alone a manager (coach)

Its got to the stage where even a thick t... like me can see something is truly amiss with our football club.

Can anybody see these 3 or 4 new players coming in in the next week? And if this somehow happens I think wele be pretty deflated with ?who they are,will they be 5th,6th, choice 20th ?

Even with the fantastic stadium it seems to me our football club is at our lowest ebb since the 7/1 defeat at Northampton.

Can only hope the board prove me wrong in the coming days, can only hope like every City fan.

1 hour ago, Steve Watts said:

there are people such as Moyes and Pearson whose stock is high enough that they should be approached and not the other way around.

Moyes have been approached, mate. Do keep up! (Pearson have not, as far as we know)

4 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

30 enquires / applications means jack as you can put the following straight in the bin

John Barnes (because he's shit - not because he's black)

Tony Adams (because he's drunk)

Gary Megson (because he's ginger) 

John Gregory (because he's weird)

Micky Adams (because he's fat)

Dougie Freedman (because he's a jock)

Phil Brown (because of his dodgy tan - not racist)

Lee Clarke (because he needs subtitles)

Leeroy Rosenior (because he'll bring Steve Claridge with him)

Then you're left with people you cant pronounce and Neil Warnock. Trouble is he's just a little bit too much of a****. 

Oh well. 

Archived